Options

What is the hardest sport in the world.

Comments

• Options
    Super Dog ManSuper Dog Man Posts: 4,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm please tell me you're not taking the poster seriously. He/she is obviously looking for bites and you've been hooked good and proper it seems.

No of course not. Just can't stand idiots.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Darts, Pool, Snooker and Golf hardly class as "sports", they are more games, so for anyone to call them the hardest sport in the world is ridiculous.

The hardest physical sport would be a cycling grand tour.
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    Darts, Pool, Snooker and Golf hardly class as "sports", they are more games, so for anyone to call them the hardest sport in the world is ridiculous.

The hardest physical sport would be a cycling grand tour.

But at a skill point we're looking at, riding a bike is easy hitting a golf ball down a fairway is so hard and to even hit the thing at all or hitting a treble in darts.

Can't argue with you on physical point with cycling.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But at a skill point we're looking at, riding a bike is easy hitting a golf ball down a fairway is so hard and to even hit the thing at all or hitting a treble in darts.

Riding a bike is easy, but a grand tour does have skill, it's about tactics, when to make a break, how far of a gap to leave the breakaway.
  • Options
    The NetThe Net Posts: 5,494
    Forum Member
    No of course not. Just can't stand idiots.

Idiot? You are being hard on yourself I think Mr Dog Man.

Also have you noticed that the gap between the Womens 100m record and the mens 100m record has been narrowing ever since records began. Its only a matter of time before women will be running faster than men (probably in year 2134 according to my calculations) and by the year 3056-3058 (depending on prevailing wind speed) will actually finish the 100m 0.48s before they set off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Net wrote: »

Also have you noticed that the gap between the Womens 100m record and the mens 100m record has been narrowing ever since records began. Its only a matter of time before women will be running faster than men (probably in year 2134 according to my calculations) and by the year 3056-3058 (depending on prevailing wind speed) will actually finish the 100m 0.48s before they set off.

Is this troll for real? 😴😴
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back on topic, hardest sport in my opinion, in terms of physical activity, can't see further than a grand tour as already said.

Couldn't imagine how draining it would be to travel those distances on a bike day after day. On the flat would be hard enough but then the climbs added in. Not a chance it could do it.

Darts, pool, snooker, golf etc are more mental sports all requiring a high level of concentration.
  • Options
    Jon OJon O Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rugby and cricket
  • Options
    Jem19876Jem19876 Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's not hard to hit a gold ball down a fairway. I managed it during my first golf lesson at aged five, and I'm not a very good golfer. It's much harder to hit it down the fairway the correct distance, then get it into the hole, but it's much harder to win a cycling race than it is to do a lap of the park.

The very basics of most sports are easy, but doing the stuff you need to be good at it is much tougher and can take years to master.

Cross-country skiing is supposed to be the most physically demanding sport, but it's definitely up there with cycling and rowing etc.

Golf etc are much more skill based, than physically demanding.

A good sport is one where beginners can make a decent stab at it, and play with other beginners, but that there is a lot of scope for improvement. It should be easy to play at entry level, but really tough to win at the top professional level.
  • Options
    malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,172
    Forum Member
    Thinking wider afield Aussie Rules Football you need to be incredibly tough and athletic. Just look at the amount of running, kicking the ball with accuracy and tackling they do.

My uncle being brought up in Australia played at high level in school and said amazingly tough. He then turned to Rugby Union when the family came over to the UK. Always said that was for wimps in comparison. Even though he got to high level in that back in its amateur days.

These days with full time professionals even harder as you can do the weights work full time so the guys are bigger and stronger.

Comparing sports is difficult. Agree with the comments that something like gymnastics or ice skating needs years of training to be world class whereas many sports just rely on strength or training, You see that with track cycling and rowing where UK lottery funding has allowed us to get world class even if the athlete has not been doing the sport since being a young child.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tonypennys wrote: »
    i would add speedway ,a bike with no brakes :eek: them lads take some really bad accidents but get up and carry on

Wouldn't consider Speedway as difficult as road racing, I get terrified just watching them, there's so much risk to so many people in road racing.
  • Options
    Sledge HammerSledge Hammer Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    what about Ironman Triathlon -

right now live in Kona, Hawaii.
    Watch it on Internet( ironman.com live or with a turnable dish on 12,5 west 12722v sr 6615 for german hessen fernsehen)
  • Options
    tonypennystonypennys Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't consider Speedway as difficult as road racing, I get terrified just watching them, there's so much risk to so many people in road racing.

completely different racing , both are very high risk
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    Cycling

Requires superhuman endurance, or in the case of some, the right combination of chemicals.
  • Options
    Marmite BabyMarmite Baby Posts: 3,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Net wrote: »

I think there's a flaw in your equations. You've missed out the Bolt exponential & the Flo-Jo correction factor.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll go for ice hockey.... ice, sharp blades on feet, high speed, getting checked, using a stick to hit a black rubber disc at over 70mph at a goal with a bloke with loads of protective gear on.
    Hard as in difficult and hard as in physically hard !
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dazzy D wrote: »
    I'll go for ice hockey.... ice, sharp blades on feet, high speed, getting checked, using a stick to hit a black rubber disc at over 70mph at a goal with a bloke with loads of protective gear on.
    Hard as in difficult and hard as in physically hard !

Hurling has the same speed but far less protection. In fact it's only in the past couple of years that helmets have become compulsory. That said ice hockey looks brutal too.
  • Options
    The NetThe Net Posts: 5,494
    Forum Member
    I think there's a flaw in your equations. You've missed out the Bolt exponential & the Flo-Jo correction factor.

Indeed I did. Fact is the question is wholly subjective and despite failing badly at trying to inject some humour into a subject which is impossible to answer I seem to have wound up one individual. Sorry Dog Man - clearly you need to relax a bit more and not accuse people of trolling just because it offends your sense of decorum.

For the record every sport played at its pinnacle is hard. It is incomparable.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cycling

Requires superhuman endurance, or in the case of some, the right combination of chemicals.

There was a reason why chemicals were rife in cycling - because the sport is so hard they actually gave you an advantage. Even a 1% advantage in grand tour cycling is the difference between winning and just being part of the pack (who are themselves top athletes).

Its interesting to note that lots of people class snooker/darts and golf as "mental" games.

Its true that the physicality needed to compete (even at the very top level) at these games is within most adult humans capacity. Phil Taylor, stephen hendry and colin montgomery are pretty average athletically to say the least.

The problem i have with darts, is that it is the same "skill" repeated over and over and over again. From the same distance, at the same target. Given a day, i could score a 180. I may not get it every time, but i can get it.

Apparently the skill is mentally being able to hold your nerve during a game - something most of us learn at school.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any martial art, apart from the potential to cause serious injury with the various techniques( although the techniques are strictly controlled), these are extremely rigorous pastimes that most drop out from before their black belt, including this wannabe Bruce Lee in his twenties.
    Rugby league, phsyically very tough sport where most players are knackered by the time they're 32 and retire. Total respect to anyone who can make a career of this.
    Boxing, the obvious one, unlike karate, where the moves are controlled and injuries aren't that common, boxers have been known to die or be seriously injured. No wonder it's the ultimate sport.
  • Options
    irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Parthenon wrote: »
    Hurling.
    Have to agree with that... I have never seen a game with so much skill, technique and physicality... add that to being the fastest field game on the planet and you have one hell of a hard sport.... All that effort for the love of the game (Amateur Sport) and to represent your parish, community, town or county.
  • Options
    Conor the BoldConor the Bold Posts: 1,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you are saying that if Mayweather got in the ring with an MMA fighter he would lose? He's not even a KO artist and the 1st clean shot (which will be the 1st thrown), and the MMA fighter will be spark out!

Jack of all trades, master of none. Give me the master any day of the week.

How did James Toney do?
  • Options
    Conor the BoldConor the Bold Posts: 1,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you are saying that if Mayweather got in the ring with an MMA fighter he would lose? He's not even a KO artist and the 1st clean shot (which will be the 1st thrown), and the MMA fighter will be spark out!

Jack of all trades, master of none. Give me the master any day of the week.

Yes. Mayweather would get beaten and beaten badly. That's what happens when you put somebody into a sport which they've not trained for.
  • Options
    turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Swimming, you have to start really young, get the strokes right, and then train endlessly................
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've asked myself this question before, mostly after watching a tennis game. Other people have made good points about other sports too, rugby league aside. I wouldn't put that anywhere near the hardest sport to compete in.