Options

BBC The Three Musketeers NEW Drama (Discussion/News/Speculation) (SPOILERS IN TAGS)

Comments

• Options
    clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh well, I loved it!! Yes, it was a tad predictable but so much better than the tripe that is Atlantis. I will miss it but I think I will enjoy "The Crimson Field" as I loved WWII stuff.

And I hope they recast Richlieu rather than lose the character entirely.

It would be a huge mistake not to recast, you can't have the Musketeers without Cardinal Richelieu!
  • Options
    jude007jude007 Posts: 2,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh well, I loved it!! Yes, it was a tad predictable but so much better than the tripe that is Atlantis. I will miss it but I think I will enjoy "The Crimson Field" as I loved WWII stuff.

And I hope they recast Richlieu rather than lose the character entirely.

I loved it to!!!

So going to miss the Brooding Athos, he does it so well!!!
  • Options
    clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saralund wrote: »
    'Dull' seems a crazy word for a production featuring four hot blokes in leather, but I did find Musketeers oddly dull. Partly this was visual - I thought everything was the colour of mud, no bright colours even in the clothes of the society women. Only the Cardinal got to show an occasional flicker of red. The main dullness, though, was the writing. Predictable plots, clicked characterisations, lines nicked from a hundred 1950s period dramas.

I wonder if someone said 'Supply lots of male totty in designer leather and no-one will give a toss what they say and do.' After all, it's worked for years with female totty.

Agree with all of that.

From the episodes I saw I'd have sworn the show was set in a sleepy country town not a bustling capital city. They need to allocate more funds to extras, it just felt ridiculously sparse.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Predictable in every way and with the expected twist of the queens pregnancy which just felt cliche. There was never a feeling of real peril for any of the characters and Anne meeting Aramis so openly where anybody could (and did!) walk in on them just felt like a sloppy set up to a second series story arc. Not a really strong finish IMO.

Despite this I did chuckle at the fake funeral and the irony of 4 men thinking they have honour when 2 of them have been boffing married women, 1 has committed treason and 1 is complicit to the act lol

I will miss this series so much, not perfect but good fun for a Sunday night with great eye candy :D
  • Options
    PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member
    I love the show and I'll miss it during it's hiatus but I also echo some of the thoughts/criticism on here about the plots and writing. The show feels like it doesn't quite know whether it's an adult drama, albeit a pretty/fantasy one or aimed at a family audience. Take the finale, for instance. After last weeks excellent episode which handled serious themes but had subtle humour I had high hopes that we may get a bittersweet ending. Perhaps some characters may even have been in genuine peril. Would they have the courage to actually go for it and kill someone off? Constance would have been my choice-not because I don't like her more that she's more expendable than the others. But alas no, instead we got

D'Artagnan pretending to hate Athos which I'd already twigged as fake and I'm bloody awful at guessing plot twists. I do rather prefer this (fake) more assertive D'Artagnan though-can we see more of him next time?

Supposedly 'dead' Athos hiding in plain site in an Inn. A huge hat is always a good disguise, especially when in the first place anyone would ever look for you.

Aramis and Porthos (and Treville actually come to think of it) a*sing about at the funeral of their beloved 'brother' and then later saying that they wouldn't really miss him when they surely were supposed to be utterly convincing to all and sundry in their grief and despair.

Sean Pertwee- not even sure why he was there- again I didn't sense any real peril from him to the others.

And finally to make it even more juvenile... having Constances husband giving the most ludicrous reason ('i'm gonna kill myself') ever for not letting her go. It just seemed ridiculously out of place as there was no need, he could have objected on the grounds that she's his wife.

I did like the Athos and Milady dynamic in that it's possible to believe both of their stories about what happened with his brother. I thought that that was quite actually clever. And Aramis, well yes it was predictable, he's been dodging baby anvils since little Henri, but it was quite sweetly and poignantly done, and I love it that it's Athos who knows. Well, and the Cardinal...Those two stories I felt were the more adult in the episode.

I'm hoping that if the second series gets a definite confirmed 9pm slot they'll have the courage to ditch some of the less convincing stuff.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I for one enjoyed this series and cant wait for series 2.
  • Options
    AA2009AA2009 Posts: 8,378
    Forum Member
    Did Athos' brother really try to rape Milady?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AA2009 wrote: »
    Did Athos' brother really try to rape Milady?

I somehow doubt it.

No matter which way you try to approach her, the character of Milady de Winter is simply a bad un and you would believe her at your peril.....
  • Options
    slouchingthatchslouchingthatch Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I rather suspect the truth is closer to what Athos said back in episode 3. Remember that Milady was trying to talk D'Artagnan over to her side by getting him to side with her over Athos. Her version is effectively the same as his, but with the added embellishment of Thomas supposedly trying to force himself on her.
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretzel wrote: »
    I love the show and I'll miss it during it's hiatus but I also echo some of the thoughts/criticism on here about the plots and writing. The show feels like it doesn't quite know whether it's an adult drama, albeit a pretty/fantasy one or aimed at a family audience. Take the finale, for instance. After last weeks excellent episode which handled serious themes but had subtle humour I had high hopes that we may get a bittersweet ending. Perhaps some characters may even have been in genuine peril. Would they have the courage to actually go for it and kill someone off? Constance would have been my choice-not because I don't like her more that she's more expendable than the others. But alas no, instead we got

D'Artagnan pretending to hate Athos which I'd already twigged as fake and I'm bloody awful at guessing plot twists. I do rather prefer this (fake) more assertive D'Artagnan though-can we see more of him next time?

Supposedly 'dead' Athos hiding in plain site in an Inn. A huge hat is always a good disguise, especially when in the first place anyone would ever look for you.

Aramis and Porthos (and Treville actually come to think of it) a*sing about at the funeral of their beloved 'brother' and then later saying that they wouldn't really miss him when they surely were supposed to be utterly convincing to all and sundry in their grief and despair.

Sean Pertwee- not even sure why he was there- again I didn't sense any real peril from him to the others.

And finally to make it even more juvenile... having Constances husband giving the most ludicrous reason ('i'm gonna kill myself') ever for not letting her go. It just seemed ridiculously out of place as there was no need, he could have objected on the grounds that she's his wife.

I did like the Athos and Milady dynamic in that it's possible to believe both of their stories about what happened with his brother. I thought that that was quite actually clever. And Aramis, well yes it was predictable, he's been dodging baby anvils since little Henri, but it was quite sweetly and poignantly done, and I love it that it's Athos who knows. Well, and the Cardinal...Those two stories I felt were the more adult in the episode.

I'm hoping that if the second series gets a definite confirmed 9pm slot they'll have the courage to ditch some of the less convincing stuff.

That's very much how I feel..

I love the show and I'm looking forward to series 2 but the producers need to decide whether it's truely an adult show - which it's 9pm slot justifies - or a family show that could go out at 8pm and possibly attract a larger audience. Apart from a few of the more violent scenes ( Milady cutting someone's throat at one point? ) there was very little in this series that older children can't see. Even D'artagnan and Constance's affair lasted 5 minutes and would have sat perfectly well in an episode of Merlin or Call the Midwife - it wasn't 9pm stuff.

And yes to more assertive D'artagnan. In terms of growth, D'artagnan is meant to be the central Musketeer, as he goes from being a young and immature character to a man who could one day be Captain of the Musketeers and "the greatest of us all" as Athos put it.
  • Options
    TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have just been re-watching the earlier episodes. Can somebody remind me - does Aramis ever find out what happened to his erstwhile girlfriend, Adele? I mean, that would really make him hate the Cardinal.
  • Options
    CatsRuleCatsRule Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    Tiggywink wrote: »
    Have just been re-watching the earlier episodes. Can somebody remind me - does Aramis ever find out what happened to his erstwhile girlfriend, Adele? I mean, that would really make him hate the Cardinal.

No, not that I've seen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Since Aramis got the Queen pregnant and lost his 'first love' in the very same episode ( episode 9 ) I don't think Adele mattered that much to Aramis, at least not as much as Constance matters to D'artagnan. I was a bit surprised she never came up again but thinking about it, Aramis could never really view one woman as being particular important to him - he's not that type of character. His priority now is the Queen - both as a Musketeer and now the father of Anne's baby.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    towers wrote: »
    Since Aramis got the Queen pregnant and lost his 'first love' in the very same episode ( episode 9 ) I don't think Adele mattered that much to Aramis, at least not as much as Constance matters to D'artagnan. I was a bit surprised she never came up again but thinking about it, Aramis could never really view one woman as being particular important to him - he's not that type of character. His priority now is the Queen - both as a Musketeer and now the father of Anne's baby.

True enough.
    Father: is it the precurser to the twins?

Just watched ep. 3 again and the scene at the house of Athos with Milady. This is really a deep love. Neither one of them can bear to end the life of the other. They are too wrapped up in each other. Honestly I think it is a good idea to watch some scenes again. I kind of dismissed Athos as just heart broken. But it is more than that. It is not brooding, it is real pain.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    Well, I for one enjoyed this series and cant wait for series 2.

Yes... I agree; The series had its faults but on the whole it was good sunday night TV fair.
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    towers wrote: »
    That's very much how I feel..

I love the show and I'm looking forward to series 2 but the producers need to decide whether it's truely an adult show - which it's 9pm slot justifies - or a family show that could go out at 8pm and possibly attract a larger audience.

Well I presume this time the BBC will actually tell them which slot it will go in rather than making them hedge their bets. The fact it had to be written to fit both slots has done it no favours.

There are some definite improvements to be made but a lot of promise and I'm glad the BBC had the ability to stick with it and give the writers a chance to take a step forward with a second series.
  • Options
    crunchie crispcrunchie crisp Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    True enough.

Just watched ep. 3 again and the scene at the house of Athos with Milady. This is really a deep love. Neither one of them can bear to end the life of the other. They are too wrapped up in each other. Honestly I think it is a good idea to watch some scenes again. I kind of dismissed Athos as just heart broken. But it is more than that. It is not brooding, it is real pain.

Would seem a bit repetitive having another set of Twins so soon. After all episode 6 was about the Kings twin. Although the Man in the Iron Mask was in the reign of next Louis (Nice little Sun King that he was} :D:D:D Maybe these French Queens have twins all the time :o:D:o
  • Options
    crunchie crispcrunchie crisp Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Watched the episode again as well Tiggywink, your right the pain is really clear to see. The scene with Athos and Milady was brilliant
  • Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ChrissieAO wrote: »
    I have been watching the series on catch up because I preferred Mr Selfridge and half the time I found myself fast forwarding. Dare I say it best thing about it is the music...

Couldn't agree more and I too watched Selfridge live and this later in the week. I can see why this lost millions of viewers (was reading the discussion about it in the ratings thread yesterday) - not sure I'll bother with the second series as it has really underwhelmed me - not quite so badly as Atlantis but still. It's just not engaging enough.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    Watched the episode again as well Tiggywink, your right the pain is really clear to see. The scene with Athos and Milady was brilliant

Athos and Milady are the classic can't live with them can't without them couple. They obviously loved one another very deeply when they were married and there is still a strong connection between them.. Athos couldn't and never will be able to kill her himself and Milady can't kill him. That's why she asked d'Artagnan to do it for her. After she thought Athos was dead it did not make her feel what she expected which she seemed surprised about. The connection to him was obviously stronger than she thought. I don't think that she really wants him dead now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agreed, it was a well played scene. All round I have been very happy with the acting, in fact (and yes I know it wont be a popular view) the only one who could be accused of "hamming" is PC in his portrayal of the cardinal.....

The only thing he didn't do was twirl his moustache in a villainous way, but even that was good as we needed a real baddie in the show.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would seem a bit repetitive having another set of Twins so soon. After all episode 6 was about the Kings twin. Although the Man in the Iron Mask was in the reign of next Louis (Nice little Sun King that he was} :D:D:D Maybe these French Queens have twins all the time :o:D:o

You're right - I had missed episode 6 (just watched it this afternoon, best one IMHO) so I see they've used the twins idea already.

I have to say that scene in the burning house really got to me this time round. I really saw for the first time how much he still loves her - it made me cry. The theme of love/friendship versus duty is pretty big in all this, isn't it?
    Athos and Milady are the classic can't live with them can't without them couple. They obviously loved one another very deeply when they were married and there is still a strong connection between them.. Athos couldn't and never will be able to kill her himself and Milady can't kill him. That's why she asked d'Artagnan to do it for her. After she thought Athos was dead it did not make her feel what she expected which she seemed surprised about. The connection to him was obviously stronger than she thought. I don't think that she really wants him dead now.

I agree completely and I am also finding Athos easier to watch now. I honestly had him down as a drama queen / overacting a bit but no, he is a tragic figure. A powerful but destructive love - wow.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True, but there's no excuse for low-brow fluff being as badly-written as Musketeers... Really dull, anticlimactic drivel... As drama it was rubbish.
    Don't know if serious :confused:

Oh, he's serious! I've never read such miserable posts as this guy produces about series after series - it's really quite funny! But seriously, what's the point of posting non-stop whingeing about something someone clearly has no interest in? Liking the sound of one's own typing, I suppose...
    Scorpio2 wrote: »
    I loved this series from start to finish and I would go as far as to call it the replacement of Merlin!

Though it would've been better if it had the Saturday night autumn slot.

Agreed! An autumn slot would seem the natural choice - then it would be even more obviously Merlin's successor! :D
    True enough.

I've been totally hooked by the Athos/Milady relationship. I just wish he hadn't discarded the necklace at the end! Put it away in a drawer by all means - just don't drop it in the mud!! :(

The story of The Man In The Iron Mask is, indeed, the story of Queen Anne's twin sons, Louis and Philippe! Which is why I was puzzled that they took elements of that story and made it about the present king. Well, I suppose it's unlikely that they would ever skip that much time (18 years?) and do the Mask story, so it doesn't really matter. It would have been cool if they had alluded to it more directly, though!
  • Options
    nina99nina99 Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've really enjoyed this series. The acting was excellent, the action scenes were well produced and it looked gorgeous (if a little sparse at times with regard to extras and even furniture). I also thought that by the end the characters of the four leads were well differentiated and all beautifully played. One or two of the episodes were a bit dull but the last three were terrific and really set up the next series very well.

I would agree with others that the writing and rather lazy plotting needs sharpening up since it's all very well having new stories but what is left should be properly fleshed out. I hope that the show gets a confirmed 9 pm slot and can show some real peril in the storylines. Whatever the case the producers should decide who they want to appeal to and stick to it.

I would also like D'Artagnan to be brought more to the fore, not just because Luke Pasqualino is easy on the eye but also because he has shone in the episodes where he had more to do. However, I hope they give him a hat in the next series so when it rains he doesn't look like a drowned rat!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nina99 wrote: »
    I've really enjoyed this series. The acting was excellent, the action scenes were well produced and it looked gorgeous (if a little sparse at times with regard to extras and even furniture). I also thought that by the end the characters of the four leads were well differentiated and all beautifully played. One or two of the episodes were a bit dull but the last three were terrific and really set up the next series very well.

I would agree with others that the writing and rather lazy plotting needs sharpening up since it's all very well having new stories but what is left should be properly fleshed out. I hope that the show gets a confirmed 9 pm slot and can show some real peril in the storylines. Whatever the case the producers should decide who they want to appeal to and stick to it.

I would also like D'Artagnan to be brought more to the fore, not just because Luke Pasqualino is easy on the eye but also because he has shone in the episodes where he had more to do. However, I hope they give him a hat in the next series so when it rains he doesn't look like a drowned rat!

But the 'drowned rat' look is sexy, it always has been and it always will be... :)

I agree that D'artagnan needs to be more central, now that he's an official Musketeer. In both Dumas's book and the BBC synopsis for the show, his journey to becoming the greatest Musketeer of all is the most central long-term storyarc. Luke's a good young actor but he needs solid writing behind him and the show hasn't always provided that in my view. For a start, many viewers were surprised to learn that D'artagnan was still living off his father's farm in episode 8, when it should have been made clear earlier on.