A Very British Airline - BBC2 does BA

Comments

• TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    It makes you wonder who worse the conditions are at EasyJet and Ryaniar if they have staff who want to move to BA. Maybe flying to LA and Miami is more glamorous than going to Geneva 4 times a day.

I actually, have no problems with Easyjet at all and have always have a good service. I'd rather swim that fly with that Irish outfit.
    Maybe it's because you don't have to sell lottery tickets with BA!
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maybe that's the reason I refuse to fly with Ryanair. Mind you, Easyjet have started to do them as well but they aren't so pushy and are easier to ignore.
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know what the churn rate is for airlines such as BA? I'm assuming they want to regularly replace expensive crew with cheaper new starters?
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I won't want people trying to sell me lottery tickets on a fight :eek:
  • lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe that's the reason I refuse to fly with Ryanair. Mind you, Easyjet have started to do them as well but they aren't so pushy and are easier to ignore.

Ryanair merely make an announcement then walk down the cabin.Hardly pushy.
  • PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it and found the programme and interesting insight into things that go on behind the running of the airline. I wasn't surprised when the trainee didn't make it through the course. It was a shame and I felt for him, but surely having staked so much on getting the job and then being at risk of his fourth and final strike he could (and should) have made a superhuman effort not to put a further foot wrong.

I'm not entirely sure that the main trainee who was featured will make it either, (the girl seen having her eyelashes done-forgot her name) she seems far too immature to me. However these type of shows often ramp up the drama before an unexpected outcome so it's possible I'm wrong about her prospects.

Thier appearance standards are certainly exacting, if a little dated. At one point watching all I could think about was how my curly hair would never ever stand the test of 'not one hair out of place' - I'd be on four 'snapshots' by day one!
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Good start to this new series, but these snapshots, are a bit hard...and the Food critics, were a pain.

Liked Alice and Jody.;-)
  • tco200tco200 Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love airline and airport programmes we need more of them!

Get me in the mood for holidays!
  • tennismantennisman Posts: 4,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tco200 wrote: »

Are you like the trainee (who seemed to be the best of the bunch) who loves plane spotting so much, she admitted going into the back of another car!!!:o
  • tco200tco200 Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not quite that bad its just my holiday is 112 days away (give or take) and airport stuff gets me excited for it
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tco200 wrote: »

BBC Scotland did a couple of programmes about Edinburgh Airport a few months ago, might get repeated on network sometime.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    BBC Scotland did a couple of programmes about Edinburgh Airport a few months ago, might get repeated on network sometime.

Yes, I caught some by accident by looking through the listings of BBC Scotland on my telly box when I was bored. Quite interesting it was - but I love anything to do with airports. There was also a recent series on one of the cable channels about Dubai airport and their continuous expansion.
  • chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I caught some by accident by looking through the listings of BBC Scotland on my telly box when I was bored. Quite interesting it was - but I love anything to do with airports. There was also a recent series on one of the cable channels about Dubai airport and their continuous expansion.

That about Dubai was superb; so much so that my next trip to Asia will be with Emirates, just so I can pass through the airport. The bonus, on the return leg, will be a stop long enough for me to "nip into town" to go to the viewing gallery on Burj Al-Khalifa, (which featured on the programme about people with a fear of heights)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chestfield wrote: »
    That about Dubai was superb; so much so that my next trip to Asia will be with Emirates, just so I can pass through the airport. The bonus, on the return leg, will be a stop long enough for me to "nip into town" to go to the viewing gallery on Burj Al-Khalifa, (which featured on the programme about people with a fear of heights)

Dubai airport is staggering. Every time I go there it seems to have doubled in size. Plus they are building an even bigger airport (Dubai World Central) further up the coast.

The only thing I don't like about the airport is the price of a beer.
  • pward1965pward1965 Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    Dubai is also a bit unusual as it's a 'night' airport. Tens of passenger flights depart n the early hours; we had a 4.5 hour stopover and it was hard to find a seat at 3am on a Thursday morning...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed this. It was interesting.

I think a training regime should be brutal and vigorous. They are essentially in charge of safety. I do think appearance is important because they are the face of the business and providing the service you've paid for. I think lateness is absolutely a snapshotable offence - if you are late to your plane, you miss it. If you are in the training centre, you have no excuse to not be there on time, you can't blame travel etc.

I didn't like the training appeared to only be on serving customers and appearance etc. I know they will obviously be rigorously trained and tested on safety, but I'd much rather see more of that than some girl primping and having her eyelashes done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pward1965 wrote: »
    Dubai is also a bit unusual as it's a 'night' airport. Tens of passenger flights depart n the early hours; we had a 4.5 hour stopover and it was hard to find a seat at 3am on a Thursday morning...

Yes, it operates 24/7. That's the advantage of being in the desert, a bottomless pit of money to spend and not having any elections or voters to worry about.

It's also why it is so hard for BA to compete with the likes of Emirates and Etihad as they have a much lower cost operations at their bases (taxes, staffing, building costs etc), they have bigger capacity due to 24/7 operations and they don't need to make a profit as they are subsidised by their governments.
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mincepie wrote: »

"A reward package of £12,000"......wow, hold me back.
  • chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tennisman wrote: »
    Are you like the trainee (who seemed to be the best of the bunch) who loves plane spotting so much, she admitted going into the back of another car!!!:o
    It was possibly her we nearly rammed as a plane landed at (now closed) Manston, when the car right in front slowed suddenly to watch said landing
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »

I have a look on iPlayer for that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »
    "A reward package of £12,000"......wow, hold me back.

Well, there's no shortage of people applying for the job.

I suppose if you are stuck on a minimum wage job in a call centre or a checkout then a customer service job where you get to travel around the world (or at least on the London to Glasgow shuttle 4 times a day), has some obvious attractions.

A friend's sister did it for a few years before getting a desk job. It's hard work but gets you a lot of experiences that you wouldn't get in other jobs.
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, there's no shortage of people applying for the job.

I suppose if you are stuck on a minimum wage job in a call centre or a checkout then a customer service job where you get to travel around the world (or at least on the London to Glasgow shuttle 4 times a day), has some obvious attractions.

A friend's sister did it for a few years before getting a desk job. It's hard work but gets you a lot of experiences that you wouldn't get in other jobs.

I suppose it still has the glamorous image of the past. For someone with kids or other family ties, being away from home for such a pittance will not work.

I worked with a couple of girls who did that job for a few years, they enjoyed it and as you say, it gives you experiences!
  • ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    a puff piece for BA. The only high point for me was when Jody (sp) had to try to communicate with a 'french passenger' so reverted to talking nonsense in a silly Allo Allo accent :D Mind you, I'd be a bit worried about her as my cabin crew in an emergency.
    They seemed stuffy and trying to promote an image of Britain of 20 years ago. And what they earn is appalling, given that they must have to live near Heathrow.

Btw does anyone actually know how does their safety training compare to Ryanair or Easyjet? The airports nearest me are the low(er) cost carriers so I always use them.
    The nicest cabin crew I've encountered are on Ryanair, but I wondered about their training. I just want decent safety and medical training; couldn't give a monkeys about whether someone's make up isn't perfect or they have a ladder in their tights after a long day at work.

My best and worst experience longhaul were on Virgin. Cattle class, but can cost around £800 :o On their lucrative and very busy Cape Town to London route they run an ancient, very cramped plane with a primitive IFE system with about 5 movies and a few TV shows that's all on a loop, IF it works. The food was inedible.
    On their London - Joburg route, brand new plane with excellent IFE, food and crew.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretzel wrote: »
    Thier appearance standards are certainly exacting, if a little dated. At one point watching all I could think about was how my curly hair would never ever stand the test of 'not one hair out of place' - I'd be on four 'snapshots' by day one!
    rumtruffle wrote: »
    I didn't like the training appeared to only be on serving customers and appearance etc. I know they will obviously be rigorously trained and tested on safety, but I'd much rather see more of that than some girl primping and having her eyelashes done.
    Agree with these comments. The bordering-on-body-facism attention to detail that was required annoyed me. I can fully appreciate that if you've paid £10k for a flight, you have a right to expect certain facilities and services are available and working etc, but would any passenger really lodge a complaint if a steward/ess's (do we still call them that?) stocking had a slight wrinkle or ladder, or a hair had fallen over their eye or their name badge was slightly skew-whiff or something? I really hope not. I appreciate the need to drum into them the importance of looking smart at all times, but it was the implication that first-class passengers demanded it that wound me up. God knows how I'd cope on a long-haul flight. I'd need a shave by the time we were half-way across the Atlantic !

Re. all the comments about how petty it was to release the guy for being two minutes late, bear in mind that we only had that other guy's word that was the reason (unless I missed something).
  • pward1965pward1965 Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    Btw does anyone actually know how does their safety training compare to Ryanair or Easyjet? The airports nearest me are the low(er) cost carriers so I always use them.

Cabin crew safety training is regulated by the CAA and includes a standard exam so it should be pretty similar across airlines.