Steve Backshall and Ola Jordan Appreciation Thread

Comments

• *Liya**Liya* Posts: 5,978
    Forum Member
    Pet Monkey wrote: »
    Psychic-Liya accurate :o
    How did you know?

He's just typecast as this wild, adventurer with an amazing body and whenever his dance/outfit/theme are in line with that narrative...he'll feature in these little segments. The last time he was on...was with his jungle themed QS.

I'm sure he doesn't mind being objectified, though :D

I thought the training looked alright. There were some moments where he had a nice arched back but then he slips out of that posture.

I don;t think Steve fully appreciates how important technique is the more free/performance based latin dances. He probably realizes it's essential in the ballroom and he copes very well with it there but when he was on the One show...and said that technique wasn't important in the Charleston (with Ola pulling him up on that comment :D )....i kind of understood why he had such a mental block about the CCC.

I think being faced with the technical side of the latin dances defied what he's most likely seen in person...with local people who can probably out dance the pro's we have on the show...making it all look care-free and easy....they've probably never spent a day in a studio learning how to dance. It's kind of in their bloodstream, in a way. He's probably seen it and never gave it a second thought...not knowing he'd end up in Strictly one day.:D....and associated it with feeling/culture...rather than measured steps that need to learned.

I think he's starting to get a feel for the technique needed for the latin dances with this Paso and it's not like he isn't improving in them. His salsa was better than his CCC...i just hope he does the best he can do tomorrow. Looking the part is half the battle and we know he'll perform the hell out it so...i'm very hopeful :)
  • KorkyTheCatKorkyTheCat Posts: 24,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm very confident too, Liya. He's heard numerous times how vital exaggerated shaping is and he's heavily into the dance - plus the music this time - plus he's rightly proud of his hard-won physique, as I thought, and not concerned about showing it. :)
  • westlifefan123westlifefan123 Posts: 4,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm very confident too, Liya. He's heard numerous times how vital exaggerated shaping is and he's heavily into the dance - plus the music this time - plus he's rightly proud of his hard-won physique, as I thought, and not concerned about showing it. :)

I completely agree with this - I am not as nervous for Steve and Ola with this dance as I have been in the past - since I started watching SCD back in series 2, over the years, the Tango and the Paso Doble have become my favourite dances on the show :)

From Hayley
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I completely agree with this - I am not as nervous for Steve and Ola with this dance as I have been in the past - since I started watching SCD back in series 2, over the years, the Tango and the Paso Doble have become my favourite dances on the show :)

From Hayley

I like the Paso (traditional rather than a modern take) and Waltz if danced lightly, gracefully, meaningfully and romantically - just as Steve did! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the Paso (traditional rather than a modern take) and Waltz if danced lightly, gracefully, meaningfully and romantically - just as Steve did! :)

Yeah I love the Waltz too - and I agree with you about having a traditional Paso rather than a modern Paso - some modern Pasos I have liked in the past, but there are some that I can't stand

From Hayley
  • *Liya**Liya* Posts: 5,978
    Forum Member
    New article

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/i-hurt-took-years-over-4589696

Well, this is quite personal ;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    Hello. Hope you don't mind me joining in. Thought it was time to confess that my lurking behaviour may have contributed just a bit to the view count on this thread. I love it in here it's so friendly and at times bonkers. It's reassuring to know I'm not the only one obsessing over Steve. I haven't been this bad since Austin - yes he was robbed don't get me started.>:(

I'm really looking forward to their Paso tomorrow, hoping he can control the nerves and put in a great performance but I'll be poised and ready to vote a ridiculous number of times anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ugly bug wrote: »
    Hello. Hope you don't mind me joining in. Thought it was time to confess that my lurking behaviour may have contributed just a bit to the view count on this thread. I love it in here it's so friendly and at times bonkers. It's reassuring to know I'm not the only one obsessing over Steve. I haven't been this bad since Austin - yes he was robbed don't get me started.>:(

I'm really looking forward to their Paso tomorrow, hoping he can control the nerves and put in a great performance but I'll be poised and ready to vote a ridiculous number of times anyway.

Welcome to the thread ugly bug, I have a huge crush on Steve too - I can't wait to see their Paso tomorrow as well - I am so happy that people are voting so much for the lovely Steve.

From Hayley
  • Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    millysshaw wrote: »
    I am looking forward to this dance the most :blush:, I don't know why ?;-)

Had to laugh at Ola this week when asked if Steve was going shirtless, she said if he put one on she would rip it off, now that might be an interesting start to the dance.

Huggles to milly and -- what do we call you?! :D -- buggy :)
    The more the merrier. We've been aware of other little faces off in the darkness so it is truly lovely you have come forward to share the Steve campfire.
    :D

Milly, have you seriously processed how he's not just going to be bare-chested for the dance but all the time up in the Ball-cony* too. :blush: Bliss and a strain on the ummm... nerves

Buggy, I've been voting shameful amounts too. I tell myself it might be the last week so hang the consequences, but if he gets much further, lord, dunno what I'm going to do!! :cool: Don't want to actually spend the rent :D:D

* = someone's rather good name for the Clauditorium while Zoe Ball is standing in
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Liya* wrote: »

Ooo, well-found article.
    Now I want to kiss it better
    :blush::p:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Found another article, which does not make good reading, sorry to say. Not too sure what to make of it and whether to believe in it or not. But here it is:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2826130/Strictly-Ola-bullying-moans-Steve-Backshall-s-dived-Great-White-sharks-wrestled-poisonous-snakes.html

Doesn't bear out what we've seen but then we see moments. Whatever the truth of it :confused:, I can't see it helping the cause over much

At the heart of this is a mysterious (maybe not???) 'source' close to the show. Not saying any more... Except that comparing the direct quotation Mirror article and the 'source'-informed DM piece, one sounds completely trustable and spontaneously given, while the other has a faint whiff of exaggeration and maybe spite???
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Huggles to milly and -- what do we call you?! :D -- buggy :)
    The more the merrier. We've been aware of other little faces off in the darkness so it is truly lovely you have come forward to share the Steve campfire.
    :D

Milly, have you seriously processed how he's not just going to be bare-chested for the dance but all the time up in the Ball-cony* too. :blush: Bliss and a strain on the ummm... nerves

Buggy, I've been voting shameful amounts too. I tell myself it might be the last week so hang the consequences, but if he gets much further, lord, dunno what I'm going to do!! :cool: Don't want to actually spend the rent :D:D

* = someone's rather good name for the Clauditorium while Zoe Ball is standing in

I'm loving that everyone is voting for #TeamStevola loads and loads of times, it is amazing and lovely support for them both, tomorrow night I will be helping with the voting as I have for them from the start :)

From Hayley
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I turn my back for an hour and come back to find two new aficionados of Steve! Welcome Milly and Ugly bug. :):) Yes, we swing between being serious(ly worried) and bonkers with a little light perving in between. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found another article, which does not make good reading, sorry to say. Not too sure what to make of it and whether to believe in it or not. But here it is:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2826130/Strictly-Ola-bullying-moans-Steve-Backshall-s-dived-Great-White-sharks-wrestled-poisonous-snakes.html

Doesn't bear out what we've seen but then we see moments. Whatever the truth of it :confused:, I can't see it helping the cause over much

At the heart of this is a mysterious (maybe not???) 'source' close to the show. Not saying any more... Except that comparing the direct quotation Mirror article and the 'source'-informed DM piece, one sounds completely trustable and spontaneously given, while the other has a faint whiff of exaggeration and maybe spite???

Oh dear, what a surprising article. It's made up of recent events plus very old quotes, any of which may or may not be true or exaggerated. Leaves a nasty taste.....:(

ETA Ola is 5ft. 4ins. If one fact is wrong, others may be. Add in some conjecture.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear, what a surprising article. It's made up of recent events plus very old quotes, any of which may or may not be true or exaggerated. Leaves a nasty taste.....:(

I'm struggling with the thought that I'd take a guess at that source. If I were drunk, I already would have done it. :D:D And it would be stupid and quite possibly unfair to do so because, of course, they operate in shadows and we could only ever guess.

I recognise SB in the Mirror piece. I don't recognise him through the filter of the DM one, no matter what hints have been picked up for exaggeration and distortion by the insider source close to the programme.

Eh well. Mail's a filthy rag

ETA to get up to date with your ETA... Add some conjecture... and some spite
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that the DM article is a lot of BS in my honest opinion >:(

From Hayley
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that the DM article is a lot of BS in my honest opinion >:(

From Hayley

With two Pasos there's a lot of bullpoo around :p

Any way, if it's true or untrue, or has seeds of truth, I bet SB will say something about it to put it straight.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With two Pasos there's a lot of bullpoo around :p

That is very true lol :)

From Hayley
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 454
    Forum Member

Really don't know what to make of this article. It doesn't sound like Steve. As Korky said some of those quotes are from a while back. Hoping it's the press exaggerating and stirring up trouble. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too hesitate to name a possible source but guess at someone who's worried about Steve producing a great dance and usurping that person on the leader board.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really don't know what to make of this article. It doesn't sound like Steve. As Korky said some of those quotes are from a while back. Hoping it's the press exaggerating and stirring up trouble. :confused:

It sounds like someone else entirely to me. There are no recent direct quotations from Steve or from Ola. Nothing clear. They've built the thing entirely from their source. Trouble is, whether it's a big fat lie or not, the article in itself is harmful.

I don't actually care if they argue or scrap a bit. Better if they don't but, of course, it's very tempting when you're stuck with someone all of the time in a pressured situation. But I do care very much about the distortion of truth. Of all things on this planet, I can't stand those who twist reality to your face, whether that's through following an agenda or mental difficulty or whatever. For clarity: I mean this source, not SB.

ETA buggy! I'm sorry to be stamping my feet in a reply to you while you're new on t'thread! :) Bad-tempered monkey! I am sorry
  • nina99nina99 Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a very nice article from the Mail. What it says does not tally with the fact that Steve was so positive on his appearance on last week's ITT and it was Ola who was being a bit more cautious. I didn't get any negative vibe from him at all until that rather anguished tweet after the dress rehearsal went so badly. Also, the Charleston routine wasn't choreographed by Ola but by two outsiders so that bit of the report was also wrong. Personally I agree with those who say that the Mail piece is a load of BS. It's very easy to take old quotes and half heard or more likely made up remarks from some dubious source who probably has an axe to grind, distort them, add in a large helping of exaggeration and hey presto you have something which is very far from the truth.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nina99 wrote: »
    Not a very nice article from the Mail. What it says does not tally with the fact that Steve was so positive on his appearance on last week's ITT and it was Ola who was being a bit more cautious. I didn't get any negative vibe from him at all until that rather anguished tweet after the dress rehearsal went so badly. Also, the Charleston routine wasn't choreographed by Ola but by two outsiders so that bit of the report was also wrong. Personally I agree with those who say that the Mail piece is a load of BS. It's very easy to take old quotes and half heard or more likely made up remarks from some dubious source who probably has an axe to grind, distort them, add in a large helping of exaggeration and hey presto you have something which is very far from the truth.

Good points! :cool: He seemed pleased with the Charleston, as did the choreographer, and you're right, the first and only discordant note came with his 'dread' tweet about the dress run. Steve and Ola have seemed only supportive of each other following the Charleston mess up, both immediately and through this week.

Like I say, personally I can cope with my favourites having an attritional relationship. (Though I'd rather sweetness and light!) But a bit of vim doesn't bother me and I'm pretty sure they're both ballsy enough to deal with each other if they had to. But let it be a real attritional relationship first! If it's lies and distortion, I have no patience with it. And distortion or exaggeration is decidedly what it looks like.

I wonder if later in the day the DM will remove those source-attributed phrases from their subheads that are currently linked to Steve's name, making them look like direct quotations.

Bloody DM! As in bloody DM!!
    >:(

PS just hoping I've remembered how to spell exaggeration?? It is one of those words that will not stay in place in my brain :blush:
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just popped in to say hopefully we'll get a tweet on Saturday to say the article is rubbish. Ibfind it hard to believe. If it's true, the board will go balistic with negative stuff and Ola and James. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nina99 wrote: »

True.....and then publish the garbage to unsettle, anger, upset and distract Steve the day before he dances on live telly, and put 'anti' thoughts in other people's heads.