Options

Sterling needs to be careful now

Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,302
Forum Member
✭✭✭
That booking was bad, this game against Uruguay is going to be rough and everyone is going to keep their temper in control

Comments

• Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I too have my concerns.

I didn't before today's matches. I just assumed Uruguay would beat Costa Rica and England's match with them wouldn't be as important for both teams as it is now.

I've seen in previous tournaments what Uruguay can be like when their backs are against the wall. That sending off 5 seconds before the end of the Costa Rica match I fear might be an omen of what's in store for England.

Are any of the England players susceptible to injury?
  • Options
    BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    Are any of the England players susceptible to injury?

They will be after playing Uruguay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BigFoot87 wrote: »
    They will be after playing Uruguay.

LOL:D:D
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,170
    Forum Member
    Jack Wilshere is very injury prone, needs to be careful if he's playing.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,073
    Forum Member
    The danger is retaliation..
  • Options
    HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lushness wrote: »
    Jack Wilshere is very injury prone, needs to be careful if he's playing.

Which is a ridiculous concept if you think about it for a minute.
    If he is concentrating on 'being careful' he won't be the doing the stuff that he would be picked for in the first place.
  • Options
    Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not so worried about injurys as much as Uruguay trying to get players booked etc, Sterling got sent off in the friendly against Ecuador so he has to be careful after that yellow card yesterday, otherwise he could be out of final group game
  • Options
    hurrikane313hurrikane313 Posts: 2,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not so worried about injurys as much as Uruguay trying to get players booked etc, Sterling got sent off in the friendly against Ecuador so he has to be careful after that yellow card yesterday, otherwise he could be out of final group game

Sterling got sent off in that friendly because of Valencia being a ****, not for anything he did. Sterling's challenge in that game cleanly won the ball and was at worst a yellow card. But Valencia's reaction of jumping up and grabbing him round the throat was enough to convince a poor referee that it was something worse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hayden wrote: »
    Which is a ridiculous concept if you think about it for a minute.
    If he is concentrating on 'being careful' he won't be the doing the stuff that he would be picked for in the first place.

He probably won't play anyway....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That booking was bad, this game against Uruguay is going to be rough and everyone is going to keep their temper in control

Raheem Sterling is only little and doesn't look very strong. So a more physical defence, such as Uruguay, would probably give him problems, ie a kicking!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Raheem Sterling is only little and doesn't look very strong. So a more physical defence, such as Uruguay, would probably give him problems, ie a kicking!

And I'm sure Uruguay will have watched Sterling in the last match and he will be the man they will target.
    If things get desperate out there late in the game they probably won't mind risking a red card as long as they believe the risk is worth it.
  • Options
    Apollo CreedApollo Creed Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If things aren't going their way we know that the Uruguayans will turn it into a battle and we need to keep our heads.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If things aren't going their way we know that the Uruguayans will turn it into a battle and we need to keep our heads.

As another poster also said, we've got to be careful to not retaliate.
    England have quite a lot of younger players and they tend to be more hot-headed than the more experienced players if someone provokes them.

If I recall correctly I think there have been a couple of occasions where this happened before. Was it Beckham and Rooney who got sent off in their first world cups?
    It's probably going to be a test of character as much as a test of ability in this next match.

Has Rooney got a calmer temperament and more balanced than he used to be?
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member

Sterling doesn't look strong but he's actually quite strong. A lot of times last season he was holding the ball up and holding his own against big players like the Stoke players. He may be more of a target if defenders see him and think they can just kick him off the ball but he won't go down easily (unless he tries diving).
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sterling, pound for pound, could very well be the strongest member of the England squad. Don't underestimate him due to his appearance, I've seen him bully bigger players off the ball before in a Liverpool shirt. He's not afraid to put himself about.

It was a pretty soft yellow to be fair. The Italian challenges on Sturridge and Lallana were worse.
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When losing the Uruguayans will resort to "ugly " football

The likes of Rooney and Wilshire won't handle this very well and WILL retaliate

Surely it is now a MUST win game or at the very least a DON'T lose game
  • Options
    nevadanevada Posts: 1,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lushness wrote: »
    He probably won't play anyway....

All the debate on DS has been about whether Rooney should be dropped or not.
    It seems unthinkable that Hodgson would drop Sterling after that performance.....if we lose to Uruguay without him on the field, expect the return of the media backlash.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nevada wrote: »
    All the debate on DS has been about whether Rooney should be dropped or not.
    It seems unthinkable that Hodgson would drop Sterling after that performance.....if we lose to Uruguay without him on the field, expect the return of the media backlash.

I wasn't actually talking about Sterling, I was talking about Wilshere who is injury prone.
  • Options
    filmfan7filmfan7 Posts: 3,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sterling should have been taken off anyway as after his cramp he wasn't the same player ..Gus Poyet has said that Uruguay will use dirty tactics to win the game and we should be prepared for that !..I hope we get a tough referee !
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The likes of Rooney and Wilshire won't handle this very well and WILL retaliate

If that were true they'd have players winding them up in every single game they play and they'd be suspended most the season.
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    If that were true they'd have players winding them up in every single game they play and they'd be suspended most the season.

I will remind you of this post when Rooney loses it and is sent off ;-)
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not ruling it out as a possibility any more than I am him landing a successful corner, but to say that both players are so easily manipulated into lashing out is basically wrong as it would happen all the time if true.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't believe in this "be careful" nonsense.

The players need to be going in with 100% commitment.

Yes they shouldn't be stupid, but going in trying to be careful is the wrong attitude.

If someone picks up a second yellow then so be it, we will have to manage. That is what the squad is there for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    I'm not ruling it out as a possibility any more than I am him landing a successful corner, but to say that both players are so easily manipulated into lashing out is basically wrong as it would happen all the time if true.

Maybe it is. But Wayne Rooney used to be hot headed didn't he? I dare say that he's matured a lot over the years. But if he naturally does have that temperament then the pressure on him to score, coupled with the immense importance of this match, it's quite plausible to suggest that he may be vulnerable to being wound up by them. Especially if he's targeted.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe it is. But Wayne Rooney used to be hot headed didn't he? I dare say that he's matured a lot over the years. But if he naturally does have that temperament then te pressure on him to score, coupled with the immense importance of this match, it's quite plausible to suggest that he may be vulnerable to being wound up by them. Especially if he's targeted.

No chance. You have more chance of Barkley or Sterling lashing out.

Rooney has matured on this side of his game.

I would be delighted if Uruguay focused on Rooney to be honest, because it would be a total waste of their time and leave out other attacking players to run riot. Of course this will lead to Rooney being criticised left and right again.