Options

XP Support

John146John146 Posts: 12,926
Forum Member
✭✭
Since support for Windows XP ended in April, and, those who continued to use the OS would suffer all sorts of consequences,has anyone had any problems with XP since April?

Comments

• Options
    colin_ansoncolin_anson Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    got xp installed on an old tower and its had no issues at all. as long as the security is up to date and you have the backups theres no reason it should be effected. i did remove office 2003 and replaced it with kingsoft, now named wps becaused its easy on resources. same with chrome browser, which I use instead of IE.
    all in all, its alight system and can stay put until it gives up altogether and dies on me, i suppose.
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    I have a few stubborn sites that are starting to feel the burn now that more and more of the websites that they regularly use are dropping support for IE8. Google Chrome is a short-term workaround but its not a solution to the problem.

Unfortunately for me they don't seem to feel the same way. I think its going to take a few more of the big IT organizations to throw the towel in before we see a significant decline in XPs use.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    I would suggest moving away from Internet Explorer on computer security grounds anyway and using one of the many browser alternatives instead.

Next year, security support for XP will decline even further because there'll be no more automatic monthly downloads of Microsoft's malicious software removal tool from spring 2015 onwards and some antivirus providers, such as Avira, will stop supporting XP entirely.

When that happens, I'd suggest upgrading to a more recent version of Windows or, on older and less capable equipment, installing a Linux variant such as LXLE or Linux Lite.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IE is a heavy browser to run on XP hence the use of chrome, plus the lack of support from M$ underlines the need to move away to a safer browser. windows programs are unable to be used/installed with a linux os but its one option.

as for upgrading from XP to win7 its not possible without installing vista first as the jump from XP to win7 would be too far. plus, an older machine makes this option prohibitive, which leaves the only option of investing a new machine.
    one day i suppose, when XP dies on me
  • Options
    mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

as for upgrading from XP to win7 its not possible without installing vista first as the jump from XP to win7 would be too far. plus, an older machine makes this option prohibitive, which leaves the only option of investing a new machine.
    one day i suppose, when XP dies on me

Upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7#T1=tab01

Nothing about installing Vista first
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    mac2708 wrote: »
    Upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7#T1=tab01

Nothing about installing Vista first
    I think he's referring to the fact you have to do a clean install, which to be honest is best practice anyway. WET can help transfer a lot of the config and data as shown in step 2 of the guide.
  • Options
    mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    I think he's referring to the fact you have to do a clean install, which to be honest is best practice anyway. WET can help transfer a lot of the config and data as shown in step 2 of the guide.

A clean install yes but it's stated quite clearly

..as for upgrading from XP to win7 its not possible without installing vista first as the jump from XP to win7 would be too far...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ok, I see the message but the issue of a clean install that isnt preferable over a custom install for me, for many reasons but I should have been clearer on that point :blush:
    its easy to follow what comes with advice from a magazine but i have bookmarked the link, thanks for sharing.

at least something has been gained by all who pass this way, which is good.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    got xp installed on an old tower and its had no issues at all. as long as the security is up to date and you have the backups theres no reason it should be effected. i did remove office 2003 and replaced it with kingsoft, now named wps becaused its easy on resources. same with chrome browser, which I use instead of IE.
    all in all, its alight system and can stay put until it gives up altogether and dies on me, i suppose.

If no updates from Microsoft are being created for XP, things will just get worse as far as security's concerned.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    If no updates from Microsoft are being created for XP, things will just get worse as far as security's concerned.
    That can be pretty well mitigated at the moment by good backup firewall and AV, of course.
    I'm still running one machine on XP with Firefox, and it's fine; although some graphics sites do have a slight lag these days as it falls further and further behind (which after all isn't mainly an XP issue).
  • Options
    Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The main problem with XP is the 10 year old hardware eg puny old cpu, 512MB RAM etc. I've seen old machines that max out trying to watch YouTube - HD streaming or transcoding is out of the question.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That can be pretty well mitigated at the moment by good backup firewall and AV, of course.
    I'm still running one machine on XP with Firefox, and it's fine; although some graphics sites do have a slight lag these days as it falls further and further behind (which after all isn't mainly an XP issue).

I was thinking about the security holes that XP would have been left with. Microsoft have been great with the amount of time that they've supported this OS for.