Splash

Comments

• NikhilNikhil Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest I think the show if done right could be pretty good.
    Unfortunately we were subject to poor directing, poor editing, lack of presenter preparation and therefore amateurish production.

To think that this show is actually a franchise format (so ITV didn't make it up!) from Holland and has actually been bought by many international networks!!

Personally I thought when they did diving on the old channel 4 programme "the games" that was great, and a better format would have been bringing back the games, but with better celebs. That was brilliant light entertainment/trash telly!!

Just to address my take on a few things that have been mentioned throughout the thread:

Tom Daley - Really?? what was his purpose. Just eye candy basically. Most of his comments were blatantly obvious and not particularly helpful. Like hell did he train those athletes, more like they had professionals teach them, and then they had one session with tom, when they did all the filming. The guy has achieved a lot and well done to him, he's also not bad looking for the ladies and gay population, but there's something about him that annoys me, perhaps an air of arrogance. I wouldn't mind if he wasn't on the programme.

Jo Brand - The purpose of her is only to provide a bit of light entertainment in the judging panel. I must say i don't find her particularly funny, but she was ok.

To me, the way they could improve this show is by making it a studio format. Say having Vernon in a studio with a pundit or celeb guest, to comment on the dives (my personal favourite is Steve "Big Daddy" Bunce......when he was on the games sister show with justin lee collins, they used to be hilarious!) and then gabby logan can be poolside for pre and post dive interviews. That way they can make editing slicker and not have those awkward pauses and dodgy live tv moments.

Just my opinion!
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    So much for being rubbished on here, it got 5.49m (22.9%) and was the most watched show of the night.

Definitely the Tom Daley effect. Perhaps the TV executives are a lot cleverer than we think : "Let's stick Daley on a Saturday night reality show and it will pull in the viewers" and it seems they might have been right.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,900
    Forum Member
    mediarat wrote: »
    I found it an enjoyable watch.

It's dumb, over hyped and does not do anything that another show has not already done but in terms of being light entertainment (and that's what it is) I don't know why people are being so negative. It's no worse than strictly or dancing on ice in my opinion.

Also anyone who complains about dumbing down needs a reality check, you are on a digital spy forum ffs.

I agree. Anyone would think some people had settled down to watch a production of Hedda Gabler at the National Theatre! Most people in the thread didn't hate it, but rather thought it was so awful you just couldn't stop watching! :D Those watching who didn't take it seriously, made the most entertaining comments in this thread! :p
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Next week the contestants will be jumping into the pool full of piranha's and sharks.

Whoever commissioned for ITV should be ashamed. Vernon Kay left Radio 1 for this. I feel sorry for Gabby trying to present a so called sports show.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tuned in to see if it would be enjoyable (there was nothing else on too). After 30 mins I switched over the channel 4 disaster film which was much more enjoyable. I wont be tuning in again.
  • 001_ATLANTIS001_ATLANTIS Posts: 2,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The viewing figures for this are quite disturbing! Either people were so mesmerised by the awfulness of it all and were physically unable to turn it off, the scenario I desperately want to believe, or the great viewing public are a damn site shallower than the pool the zlebs were throwing themselves into. Next week's figure will tell the tale, unless of course ITV's movers and shakers are forced to throw in the towel and cancel this pitiful excuse for light entertainment (or shoudl that be light weight entertainment?).

Weep.
  • Super_FurrySuper_Furry Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This show was a joke, right?
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Next week the contestants will be jumping into the pool full of piranha's and sharks.

Whoever commissioned for ITV should be ashamed. Vernon Kay left Radio 1 for this. I feel sorry for Gabby trying to present a so called sports show.

I get the feeling that ITV were waiting to watch the show, and then attempt to work out what type of show it is. If it has Jo Brand its going to be Lets Dance (she has judged on that I think)-but Lets Dance is just daft, and yet then it has respected sports presenter Gabby Logan. And then there is only 60 seconds or so of actual action padded out to 90 minutes! Jade and Helen Lederer trained god knows how long just to do what pretty much everyone has done at some point in their lives. Omid just did it from a bit higher. I fail to see what the drama or interest there is in that.

Have to say my hopes werent high, but I thought it was very poor tv.
  • djrobmacdjrobmac Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    Haven't read through the whole thread but i take it you have all seen this.....

The showreel to attract networks to pick up the format.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9AHx59S_d0

Watching that you can understand why ITV took it on but how did our's compare to that? LOLLLL
  • LiamforkingLiamforking Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate how stupid TV execs think the British public are.
    I have even more that TV execs are constantly being proved right.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    It's not that bad! It's just kitsch telly. I must admit I am looking forward to seeing Joey Essex in speedos:D
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,509
    Forum Member
    but its ratings remained stable throughout the 90 minutes ...ie viewers who thought they made 'a mistake' had plenty of time to bail out earlier and they didn't. The show is a hit.

An argument that does not stand up, I decided to watch it despite being amazed that 6 people doing one dive (plus a dive off?) could be made to last an hour and 20 minutes.
    After about 20 minutes, I lost the will to live, turned the volume down and got my iPad out to play with, so it was on for the whole programme but I was not watching and won't be again.
    I wonder how many others just left it on and got on with other things?
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Osusana wrote: »
    An argument that does not stand up, I decided to watch it despite being amazed that 6 people doing one dive (plus a dive off?) could be made to last an hour and 20 minutes.
    After about 20 minutes, I lost the will to live, turned the volume down and got my iPad out to play with, so it was on for the whole programme but I was not watching and won't be again.
    I wonder how many others just left it on and got on with other things?

I was a bit like you. Tuned in to see what it was like, realised it was rubbish, but kept it on mainly due to the hilarity on this thread. I was really only waiting for Dale's Lottery Show to come on.

I doubt I'll tune in next week.
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is, we've seen celebrities diving to a much higher standard (and without the tears & melodrama) for the The Games on Channel 4.

I couldn't believe what big babies Jade and Helen were being. Get a grip! At least Omid went for it.

The James Bond routine was WOEFUL and the constant screaming at the mention of Tom Daley was embarrassing and nauseating.

The whole thing was overly long and diabolical.
  • kenikikeniki Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it, and will watch next week. Different to boring singers all the time. I admire the celebs for doing it
  • bloodynorabloodynora Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The James Bond routine was WOEFUL and the constant screaming at the mention of Tom Daley was embarrassing and nauseating.
    The whole thing was overly long and diabolical.

I didn't enjoy that but itcould have been better if the camera hadn't constantly panned away from the diving to look at the Audience. I would love to know what viewing figure it achieved!
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,217
    Forum Member
    bloodynora wrote: »

I didn't enjoy that but itcould have been better if the camera hadn't constantly panned away from the diving to look at the Audience. I would love to know what viewing figure it achieved!

I posted it a few pages back - 5.49m (22.9%), highest rated show of the day on average figures.
  • bloodynorabloodynora Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I posted it a few pages back - 5.49m (22.9%), highest rated show of the day on average figures.

Sorry I didn't read back through the thread :o be interesting to see how many people tune in again next week!
  • LolaSveltLolaSvelt Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I won't be tuning in, but I will be reading the tweets!
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,217
    Forum Member
    bloodynora wrote: »
    Sorry I didn't read back through the thread :o be interesting to see how many people tune in again next week!

A lot of people are predicting there will be a drop.
  • mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I spotted a poll earlier, might have been on msn or somewhere like that but I can#t find it now.
    According to that poll, only 22% of people taking part thought it was really entertaining.
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    I get the feeling that ITV were waiting to watch the show, and then attempt to work out what type of show it is. If it has Jo Brand its going to be Lets Dance (she has judged on that I think)-but Lets Dance is just daft, and yet then it has respected sports presenter Gabby Logan. And then there is only 60 seconds or so of actual action padded out to 90 minutes! Jade and Helen Lederer trained god knows how long just to do what pretty much everyone has done at some point in their lives. Omid just did it from a bit higher. I fail to see what the drama or interest there is in that.

Have to say my hopes werent high, but I thought it was very poor tv.

its wonderfully full of contradictions.Its exciting, but it takes far less time to fall three or even ten metres than it does to do a SCD or DOI routine so its inherently going to have very little action in a long show. Its got a professional air - but Jo brand marking completely OTT. They obviously thought it was a good idea - but they didn't have the nerve to make it a DOI/SCD series length. The result of that is that, with their format, their good divers go home while their comedy star goes to the final for falling. Its obviously a chance to fill the airwaves with hunks and bikinis, but they could only get Helen who covered everything up and Omid. The vote and judges then turfed Jade and Jenni - who do actually look good - out. They couldn't even find enough celebrities to have a spare to cover someone falling out. It could look good with a Dancing on Ice celebrity cast, but it looks like they would never do it. - partly as its got no applications to a future career and doesn't showcase your acting or popularity.
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    So much for being rubbished on here, it got 5.49m (22.9%) and was the most watched show of the night.

Just to remind you that Red or Black launched to 6.9m;)
    It never got near that rating again!
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but its ratings remained stable throughout the 90 minutes ...ie viewers who thought they made 'a mistake' had plenty of time to bail out earlier and they didn't. The show is a hit.

Perhaps they just could not believe what they were seeing.

Is it true that Channel 5 are going have "Flop", Celebrity 10,000m with Mo Farah? :):):)