BT Sport Is Virgin Media Getting It?

Comments

• FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    TRS wrote: »
    To be honest, whilst it would be great to have it free on XL i really can't see it. I would be reasonably relaxed if they offered it at say £5 pm to XL customers and full price (£12?) to everyone else.

We get XL, phone and broadband from VM and our bill is around £107 a month with the SS package.
    We can't afford to pay even an extra fiver a month on top of that!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Having just got into Baseball this season and spending many days watching highlights/replays of games during the day while there has been no football to watch in the summer, I hope there is still a channel showing the MLB on Virgin Media without the need of an extra subscription.

Of course, if needs must I could use the Virgin Broadband to stream the games but that's not the same.....
  • MJH1962MJH1962 Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    Have you proof of what you are saying with a link? if you cannot back up your information then it is speculation and also contributes nothing.

The quote from Gavin Patterson is from the Guardian, a source far more reliable than a tin-pot website.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/jul/25/bt-signs-up-500000-premier-league-customers

The requirements of a Director are set out in the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 and the FCA Handbook.

Try better next time with your put-downs!
    Forum Member
    Sounds like it's on. The word on the street was that the deal couldn't be announced until the channel is launched, or announced on the eve of the launch to preserve an element of exclusivity for BT.

I'm guessing it will be an ESPN type deal as well, so hopefully we don't see any standalone premium nonsense. (remember a standalone would make VM much more expensive than Sky's full footballing equivalent). So TV XL customers should still get it "free" (although I'm expecting an increase later in the year for XL).

I suppose BT still have the USP of having it free with their broadband service so they won't be to fussed, plus there is the extra money the VM customers will bring in and advertising for the BT platform of course.

Oh that most reliable of sources, "the word on the street"!

You are living in cloud cuckoo land to think you will not have to pay extra for BT Sports, if the deal happens at all. The only way this is going to happen is if Vrgin Media subsidies the whole cost it will need to pay BT. Did you jnot read the CEO of BT Retail's comments last week as why a deal has not yet been struck?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    MJH1962 wrote: »
    The quote from Gavin Patterson is from the Guardian, a source far more reliable than a tin-pot website.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/jul/25/bt-signs-up-500000-premier-league-customers

The requirements of a Director are set out in the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 and the FCA Handbook.

He has been scaring customers into rushed decisions for weeks, it's his job. Bt sport will be on VM, it seems to be gathering pace ad is pretty clear some sort of deal will be reached.

Who knows what that deal will be yet.
  • ArrGeeArrGee Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pepstar wrote: »
    Just looked over at the Smallworld cable forum, and the MD has posted this quite frank response...

"We've tried to get it, but its no go at the moment I'm afraid. They seem pretty keen on an exclusive launch...it may change after a while but I have a feeling it will be like Sky Atlantic and BT can't get the fee they want for it after the initial hype, and so keep it exclusive.

We have taken £5 pm of the price of our Sky Sports Pack, and reduced it to £16 pm (Sky price is £22 pm from September) by way of a response..."

We ain't getting it!... can we close this post now :D

P.s i'm impress on how low smallworld's Sky sports package is!

Maybe Virgin will make an offer for half price Sky on Thursday morning. They keep offering me M+ TV for half price whenever I call, but that ends on Wednesday.
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agree on most of what you say. However, Broadcast Now is not a tin pot website.
    It the online site for the reputable trade journal Broadcast. Its sister titles include Screen International, Construction News, Drapers and Retail Week.
    It is owned by EMAP which is owned jointly by Apax Partners... and The Guardian.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gavin_D wrote: »
    From cable forum

(from insider)

t***r.a***@virginmedia.com

******************* do not post until after 6pm **************

******* Xclusive*****

Manchester call centre got an e-mail invite to a meeting at 10 am tomorrow the subject on the e-mail is (bring your football shoes)

Also from insider spotify premium to be given free to tvxl customers no dates given ...

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35601301-post2316.html

No leaks yet on the '10 am meeting' then? :)

Interestingly, I got an email from VM about a week ago asking if I want to sign up to free Spotify Premium for 3 months. I checked the small print and there was no automatic continuation of membership (it actually stated that the free period would end and no charge would be made) so I gave my details. Haven't heard anything back . . ..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No leaks yet on the '10 am meeting' then? :)

Interestingly, I got an email from VM about a week ago asking if I want to sign up to free Spotify Premium for 3 months. I checked the small print and there was no automatic continuation of membership (it actually stated that the free period would end and no charge would be made) so I gave my details. Haven't heard anything back . . ..

Do we know 100% that the meeting a) went ahead b) was about BT Sport?
    As an aside, the email sounds as if it was written by an American as I can't see many Brits saying "football shoes" over "football boots".
  • muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mtcefc wrote: »
    Having just got into Baseball this season and spending many days watching highlights/replays of games during the day while there has been no football to watch in the summer, I hope there is still a channel showing the MLB on Virgin Media without the need of an extra subscription.

Of course, if needs must I could use the Virgin Broadband to stream the games but that's not the same.....

If its specifically baseball your into you can't go wrong with MLB TV , buy yourself a cheap streaming device that's compatible , for instance the Now TV box a one off payment of £9.99 or a Roku at £49.99 , a Premium MLBTV sub currently costs $79.99 and allows you to watch every game even select whether you want the home or away feed. All games are available live and On Demand and can be watched via the mobile app on smartphones/tablets also included in the cost.
  • bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
    Forum Member
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    As an aside, the email sounds as if it was written by an American as I can't see many Brits saying "football shoes" over "football boots".

They are now owned by an American firm now so who knows?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    If its specifically baseball your into you can't go wrong with MLB TV , buy yourself a cheap streaming device that's compatible , for instance the Now TV box a one off payment of £9.99 or a Roku at £49.99 , a Premium MLBTV sub currently costs $79.99 and allows you to watch every game even select whether you want the home or away feed. All games are available live and On Demand and can be watched via the mobile app on smartphones/tablets also included in the cost.

I stream the games sometimes on my laptop but sometimes when there is nothing during the day on I will put espn/espn america on and watch highlight shows or replays of a game.

I was even watching softball at one point, I hope another channel shows it like espn do/did.
    Forum Member
    Agree on most of what you say. However, Broadcast Now is not a tin pot website.
    It the online site for the reputable trade journal Broadcast. Its sister titles include Screen International, Construction News, Drapers and Retail Week.
    It is owned by EMAP which is owned jointly by Apax Partners... and The Guardian.

Apologies for incorrectly dismissing the website in this way. However, I still maintain that a statement made by the CEO of BT Retail is a far more reliable source than a speculative article on any website that contains no reliable quotes.
    Forum Member
    safc_1879 wrote: »
    He has been scaring customers into rushed decisions for weeks, it's his job. Bt sport will be on VM, it seems to be gathering pace ad is pretty clear some sort of deal will be reached.

Who knows what that deal will be yet.

You can be sure that as at last Wednesday no deal had been done, otherwise he would have been lying about what constitutes market sensitive information and this could ultimately lead to his disqualification as a Director. Yes a deal MAY be done, but it is clear BT holds the upper hand over this. It wants Virgin and/or its subscribers to pay a realistic subscription, otherwise there will be no deal.
  • sheff71sheff71 Posts: 8,197
    Forum Member
    Apologies for incorrectly dismissing the website in this way. However, I still maintain that a statement made by the CEO of BT Retail is a far more reliable source than a speculative article on any website that contains no reliable quotes.

The BT guy has to publicly play his cards close to his chest, in the hope that some VM customers would think there's no option but to switch...and at that point last week, he's correct, but things can change...if they can do a deal with Sky (who surely are their main competitors), then why not Virgin.

It's a much bigger deal though,for BT luring the VM customers as opposed to Sky customers, as most VM people will be on cable rather than a standard phone line, and generally a big reason for being on VM is the broadband speed - also, Sky/BT services in some VM areas are not very fast... whereas for most Sky customers it'd be a much simpler switch over?

Hopefully there is some agreement made with VM and BT, even if at an extra charge...
  • ArrGeeArrGee Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe Virgin could replace ESPN with Premier Sports...

http://www.premiersports.tv/
  • Martin1Martin1 Posts: 8,310
    Forum Member
    More chance of Premier Sports closing down than that happening in my opinion.
  • nobabydaddynobabydaddy Posts: 2,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People!

I am sure the deals have been made weeks, even months ago!

What the businesses involved are doing is maximising their returns. It's all strategically planned. Virgin Media will get their chance in a few days to maximise their potential profits.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    I work for VM in Solihull
    NO News..No EMails sent from HQ...NOWT
    I am in constant communications with multiple VM offices, including the Media Communications Dept and NOTHING has been said
    IF it occurs it will be done on the day.. :-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    martine93 wrote: »
    More chance of Premier Sports closing down than that happening in my opinion.
    Premier Sports is formally replacing Setanta 1 in Ireland. And Setanta is bundling Setanta, Premier Sports, BT Sport and ESPN in its pack giving the company a much needed boost. Thus Premier Sports looks set to continue.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sheff71 wrote: »
    The BT guy has to publicly play his cards close to his chest, in the hope that some VM customers would think there's no option but to switch...and at that point last week, he's correct, but things can change...if they can do a deal with Sky (who surely are their main competitors), then why not Virgin.

It's a much bigger deal though,for BT luring the VM customers as opposed to Sky customers, as most VM people will be on cable rather than a standard phone line, and generally a big reason for being on VM is the broadband speed - also, Sky/BT services in some VM areas are not very fast... whereas for most Sky customers it'd be a much simpler switch over?

Hopefully there is some agreement made with VM and BT, even if at an extra charge...

They HAVEN'T done a deal with Sky, BT are selling the channels themselves on the Sky box, and giving them away free to BT Broadband customers.

Anyone can launch a channel on the Sky box, and deal direct with subscribers (as long as certain criteria are met obviously), but BT have not done a deal with Sky.
    Forum Member
    sheff71 wrote: »

They haven't done a deal with Sky to show BT Sports.
    Forum Member
    They HAVEN'T done a deal with Sky, BT are selling the channels themselves on the Sky box, and giving them away free to BT Broadband customers.

Anyone can launch a channel on the Sky box, and deal direct with subscribers (as long as certain criteria are met obviously), but BT have not done a deal with Sky.

Sorry, just seen your reply.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work for VM in Solihull
    NO News..No EMails sent from HQ...NOWT
    I am in constant communications with multiple VM offices, including the Media Communications Dept and NOTHING has been said
    IF it occurs it will be done on the day.. :-)

Thanks for confirming this.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for confirming this.

When I worked for VM years ago Neil Berkett always used to let the employees know everything on the intranet site first.
    If the guy above has heard nothing, I think it's safe to say broadcast now are just speculating.