F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2013 Season

Comments

• BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    Competition would work if exclusive TV deals were banned. Exclusive TV deals are pretty much the most anti competitive practise you can engage in.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's actually quite funny to see people who love the Sky experience bitching about ESPN taking sport away from them for money. That's a real "boot is on the other Schumacher" moment.

----

On the testing, I personally can't see the appeal to show a few hours of live testing from each day, other than to pressure FOM on the 3D front. Whether it works or not and whether its worth watching/paying for or not is almost irrelevant, given how long it took them to go HD you'd have to say FOM would probably prefer not to have the situation where someone else could be offering a more technologically advanced broadcast medium.

On the other hand, one can imagine this being the breaking of the dam - a few hours of testing each day for the final test could easily become most if not all of it live in years to come - although why, I don't know.

On a geeky note, will be interesting to see if Sky go for a sort of homebrew graphics set when they do the live stuff.
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=solarflare;64119622]It's actually quite funny to see people who love the Sky experience bitching about ESPN taking sport away from them for money. That's a real "boot is on the other Schumacher" moment.

----

On the testing, I personally can't see the appeal to show a few hours of live testing from each day, other than to pressure FOM on the 3D front. Whether it works or not and whether its worth watching/paying for or not is almost irrelevant, given how long it took them to go HD you'd have to say FOM would probably prefer not to have the situation where someone else could be offering a more technologically advanced broadcast medium.

On the other hand, one can imagine this being the breaking of the dam - a few hours of testing each day for the final test could easily become most if not all of it live in years to come - although why, I don't know.

On a geeky note, will be interesting to see if Sky go for a sort of homebrew graphics set when they do the live stuff.[/QUOTE]

As someone who has non of it. Its strange it read. But I would be like it is something left FTA so it's fair enough. At then of the day we want to spend as little money as possible. Well I do anyway! :D

Not in the pub though. :o Don't tell my wife.:eek:

Ken
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    solarflare wrote: »
    On a geeky note, will be interesting to see if Sky go for a sort of homebrew graphics set when they do the live stuff.

Their graphics last year, for the championship standings and so on, we're fairly evocative of the FOM style, so it'd be interesting to see how closely they'd be able to copy the World Feed Graphics package when doing actual timings.
  • AdderAdder Posts: 1,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So it's finally official then Sky Sports now totally irrelevant to motorsport fans not interested in other things. No reason now for the likes of me to bother with the needless expense when F1 is in the HD pack. Saves a fair wad of cash in these tougher times.
  • chrisf1fanchrisf1fan Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    Not sure if it's been mentioned, but next week's Sporting Heroes features Stirling Moss. First showing is Wednesday 13th 10pm, on Sky Sports 1.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ted's testing notebook is funny, seat-of-the-pants and epically nerdy :D
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    Wouldn't work. Only 100% committed fans would subscribe and those who maybe switch on the start and end of a GP wouldn't bother.

Bundling works in the interests of the majority whether it's the TVL, Council Tax, or a newspaper etc.

You don't know it wouldn't work.

You can't flatly say it won't.

Be better for the consumer if you could just pay for what sport you wanted to watch.

Also, a neutral platform owner would really help as well.
    Forum Member
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    The only problem with that is if you said "£x per month for this/that sport" it could end up adding up to more in total depending on the cost per sport, eg football/F1 would be a higher cost per month than say speedway, and theroetically if you like football, F1, golf and cricket, depending on the cost you could end up paying more for those 4 sports (as I'd imagine they're the 4 most popular on Sky) than if you just had it as it is now.

Alot would depend on pricing, but yeah, I can't think of any situation, whether to do with sport or anything else (in terms of broadcasting), where competition has actually benefitted the consumer thanks to reduced prices.

A good example would be the next PL football deal, the rights have rocketed due to allowing competition, so the cost, even though it could still be just 2 broadcasters showing PL games, could still increase to the consumer because they've paid so much that they'll need to put the prices up to actually make it better for them financially.

I guess you'd have to tot up what you actually watch and see!

I do agree that competition isn't working though, even though i could work if circumstances were different.
  • JonpollakJonpollak Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really really like the notebook.

Also...I hear there are different costs for ESPN depending on method of dissemination.

Jp
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    Fantastic, albeit niche, stuff on Ted's Notebook, exactly the sort of thing that a dedicated channel should be delivering.
  • LesterForbesLesterForbes Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just watching Ted E Bear doing his notebook now. very fascinating! I've always said he should do MUCH more of this and Sky SportsF1 as a whole should be doing more of this style of presenting, though not everyone is as skilled as Ted is :)
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Testing ratings so far:

05/02 - 16k, peak: 19k at 21:05
    06/02 - 12k, peak: 16k at 21:05

That's those who either watch it live, or before 02:00 the next day. In comparison, last year's IndyCar Series season averaged 16k...

Fantastic Notebook from Ted. Not sure what Sky Sports F1 would do without him, really.
  • Simon.TSimon.T Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    Notebook was awesome, really enjoyed that.

Regards DTM on ESPN, did they show all/some/none of the races live last year?

I'm pretty certain I will get ESPN now, as I want to watch DTM and I like the Baseball and Basketball too.
  • LesterForbesLesterForbes Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if ESPN think stealing my IndyCar will see the masses come flocking before they pack up sticks they are very much mistaken!

Stealing my IndyCar is a low blow, there once was a time when the channel had NHL, MLS, premiership football, FA Cup and some decent motorsport and it was worth watching for a time.

but now it's on it's last legs, fringe channels that only broadcast in standard definition have the NHL and NASCAR, BT have a few footy games now and motorsport series are scrambling for TV money since Sky seem reluctant to pick up any more racing after putting all their eggs in one basket.

SOD OFF ESPN back to your own country so you can stop stealing my motorsport!
  • pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i

Off to their country with their countries motorsport aye? :rolleyes:

If Sky weren't showing it, it could easily of dropped away to somewhere even more niche like Premier.

Only question with ESPN would be if they use any studio coverage, who knows Keith may get the call.
    Forum Member
    if ESPN think stealing my IndyCar will see the masses come flocking before they pack up sticks they are very much mistaken!

Stealing my IndyCar is a low blow, there once was a time when the channel had NHL, MLS, premiership football, FA Cup and some decent motorsport and it was worth watching for a time.

but now it's on it's last legs, fringe channels that only broadcast in standard definition have the NHL and NASCAR, BT have a few footy games now and motorsport series are scrambling for TV money since Sky seem reluctant to pick up any more racing after putting all their eggs in one basket.

"your motorsport??!!":confused:
  • k0213818k0213818 Posts: 5,916
    Forum Member
    The worst part IMO about the indy coverage moving on was that last year's championship was so good. We had great racing at pretty much every event, a close and dramatic title battle, a feelgood underdog champion and arguably the best Indy 500 in years, 2013 should have been a season to build on that and it hasn't been taken.

Out of curiousity what were the figures like in 2011 comparative to 2012?
  • Adam619Adam619 Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    With the ratings Indycar was getting people should just be thankful that any UK broadcaster would be intrested in it, Sky dropping it was not a surprise really they are cutting their cloth with Fringe sports after the new premier league rights deal.

The anti-espn attitude from certain posters is sad really I would hazard a guess that it was them or no coverage in 2013, then it's better to have some coverage than none at all.
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    I agree, it's not as if anyone was banging down the door and lets face it, all the move did was save us from 100s of moans about how Eurosport can't schedule anything on time to save their lives.

Not that I can imagine Eurosport going too far out of their way to secure any motorsport.
    With them and Sky Sports it seems we have a few anti-motorsport execs in control of sports channels atm, I wonder how far that will spread....:confused:

Also don't kid yourselves, the series is on its last legs too.
    It'll always be around in some shape or form but this era will either be seen as the absolute low point of a great series before it died, DTM style and had to be rebooted after a few years off, or the continuation of something that should've been put out of its misery years ago.

Its glory years are long behind it and its very contentious if it'll ever get half as good again as it used to be.

So I'll be glad I finally get to see it this year, but it's more of an exercise in morbid curiosity that'll keep me watching rather than true excitement.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when do they "constantly bang on" about not having enough time? I can't recall a single time that's ever happened.

perhaps your confusing the brilliant coverage of one broadcaster with another? ;)

I've never bashed you before for your whole fanatical Sky fan performances on here, but it is getting a bit tiresome now. Are you quickly moving to fill the position that Dave Pusey used to hold in this thread...? Leaving aside Ted's show, them being beaten by their self imposed clock has been a negative feature of Sky's coverage since the beginning.

I've talked here before about Sky seeming to have a 'treat'em mean, keep'em keen' policy, which can alternatively be viewed as falling short of delivering what they can and what we want. I see this 'running out of time' as part of this.
    aberboy wrote: »
    That is a tweet that was sent to me. Sadly it seems to be true. I'm trying to find out more as with the possible departure of ESPN during the middle of the season to see what may happen. If I find out anything I will post on here
    Looks like they are repositioning as an American sports channel.

Got to agree with Cocarroll and Ben. I can't see them pulling out of the UK completely. It seems pretty obvious that they'll (at worst) just revert back to the pre-ESPN UK set up, with ESPN having the same presence that it does in much of Europe with ESPN America.
    Adam619 wrote: »
    That's a bit harsh I think, competition has never hurt anybody.

Apart from the mighty Sky, which is why it might upset Lester.
    Adder wrote: »
    So it's finally official then Sky Sports now totally irrelevant to motorsport fans not interested in other things.

Apart from British Rally Championship fans of course. ;)

Not that such a thing really exists anymore...
  • Chris_WilliamsChris_Williams Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    With Ray Stubbs moving to ESPN for football (like Jake Humphrey to BT) and now facing the dole queue, do you think he might present the Indycar? Obviously Chappers won't be able to with his Match of the day commitments. We can be sure at least from Tomas Scheckter's tweet a few days ago that he will be an analyst on the international commentary feed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member

"Stealing [your] Motorsport"?

I can assure you they paid the owners handsomely, but those owners do not include you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Just loving Ted's notebook and all the live testing news, Sky doing a great job.
    As for ESPN and indycar, must admit indycar has not really ever done much for me, the oval races are pretty boring tv/viewing. Im sure sky have handed it on as its not really that popular to a UK audience.
    Did'nt ESPN get pulled in just to save the Setanta football package so all they have done is added a few of their US sports.
    I have full sky sports as love foortball, golf, tennis and of course F1, and Im not sure really competition helps (from what Ive seen with the free viewings ESPN have never been very good), I think it should be left to the best in the business for Sports, Sky and a bit of BBC when they can.
This discussion has been closed.