Options

Molly Smitten Downes - Children of the Universe (Eurovision)

barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
Forum Member
Will it win Eurovision? Ehh I don't know but its going down really well across Europe, but I like this song, and her too, just signed a deal with Warner Music. :)

Here is the video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCnBZwm4wqQ

And here is an interview with her from Eurosong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj-iOi9WTeE

Comments

• Options
    Ally_BowieAlly_Bowie Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bless her!! I think its quite cute her attitude! She definately comes across as an amature but i like her and i like the song, her persona is much different onstage.
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    This is not a good song.
    I thought little boots put herself forward? She knows how to write a catchy tune.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aura101 wrote: »
    This is not a good song.
    I thought little boots put herself forward? She knows how to write a catchy tune.

She's not done much since her album and what makes the song not good?

---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMW0-1fvEuU

The Dutch love it too, interview with Dutch media.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I quite like it. I think it's the best UK entry since Jade Ewen. Think the live version sounds better than the studio version though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I quite like it. I think it's the best UK entry since Jade Ewen. Think the live version sounds better than the studio version though.

I think the reason we did well that year was because of Jades vocal ability, the song itself was naff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    barrcode88 wrote: »
    I think the reason we did well that year was because of Jades vocal ability, the song itself was naff.

No that was a good song ! It was certainly more of a 'showtune' type song rather than a chart song.
    This years entry will get nowhere near the same amount of points. Feel free to quote this back in the thread if it DOES, i would not get my hopes up though :D
  • Options
    Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Imo, this is our best entry since Blue. Let's be honest, if they hadn't have messed up their Jury performance, we were heading for another Top 5 placing on the board again. Jade's song was meh. She had a great voice, big ballad and a fantastic draw. Also her promo in certain countries might have added to it.

This year, I think it's our best chance since Jade. Looking at youtube vids, polls etc. It's nice to see we're placing in most Top 5's. Also from the performances Molly has gave, she's nailed them all - even the Eurovision In Concert one which had sound problems. So at least we can rely on her for the actual night. I think a Top 10 placing is for sure.
  • Options
    Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'll finish in the bottom 10 as usual. We should have pulled out years ago.
  • Options
    LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    I think the live version sounded better but I really think we're in with a shot of being in the Top 10 this year. I think this song sounds like a not as good version of the Teardrops song that won last year.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

It was a good song. You could tell Andrew Lloyd Webber wrote it as it had a very theatre vibe to it. It would have been good in one of his shows. I've a lot of respect for ALW and his work. I think he does what he does really well. Aren't his shows very popular in the West End?
  • Options
    Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member
    Mr_Eye wrote: »
    It'll finish in the bottom 10 as usual. We should have pulled out years ago.

Ahhh, you're one of 'those', I'll just leave these articles here for you and anyone else that's still suffering the after effects of Wogan's brainwashing!

http://metro.co.uk/2014/03/03/eurovision-2014-five-things-the-uk-has-possibly-been-doing-wrong-up-to-now-4392021/

http://metro.co.uk/2013/05/17/eurovision-2013-real-reasons-for-the-uks-recent-lack-of-success-3713242/

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2013/may/14/five-eurovision-myths-debunked
  • Options
    Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    At last the UK has entered a good song, our best since Jessica Garlick. A good draw should see us top 5 and we do have a chance at winning.

We have finished bottom 10 because we sent a bad songs, this year we have a good song so our position on the leaderboard will improve.

As a few others have said the live version is better than the studio one.

For the first time in years I am looking forward to the contest.

Good luck Molly.
  • Options
    Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lisa.B wrote: »

What's one of "those?"

I just think the whole thing is a pile of shit, that we shouldn't be wasting tax payers money on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What's one of "those?"

I just think the whole thing is a pile of shit, that we shouldn't be wasting tax payers money on.

Not the old 'tax payers cash' clanger please.
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    What's one of "those?"

More "tax payers cash" goes on nonsense like half an episode of Holby.
  • Options
    Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member
    What's one of "those?"

The ones that harp on with the same tired misinformation without actually doing any research. Eurovision costs about £310,000 (2012) and that's for ALL the hours of content, with a viewer-ship of the final equivalent to that of The Voice, which costs about £650,000 (2012) for just ONE episode! Casualty in the same Saturday night time slot as the grand final costs about £456,000 (2011) for ONE episode and pulls in anywhere between 4-6.5million viewers on looking at the figures for the current series... Eurovision seems like a veritable bargain when you consider all of that don't you think?
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Molly is quite superb. I'm really eager to hear her album.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I much prefer the live version than the recorded one and Molly has a fantastic voice so I'm hoping for a great jury vote.
    I don't think it will win but it's a contender; I'm hoping for a top 10 finish trying to not get too excited!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Makson wrote: »
    Molly is quite superb. I'm really eager to hear her album.

She's great, Strange Alien is a good one she's written, its on YouTube somewhere.
  • Options
    TributeTribute Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a poor tune, but then when has that ever mattered in Eurovision?! As much as people try to argue otherwise, the voting is still political, so we'll be near the bottom again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tribute wrote: »
    It's a poor tune, but then when has that ever mattered in Eurovision?! As much as people try to argue otherwise, the voting is still political, so we'll be near the bottom again.

What makes it a poor tune? - The voting has hardly been political, the only reason we in the UK say that is because we've sent absolute turd over before this, then blame politics.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BmPCu2AIMAAAHpT.jpg - sneak peak at the Eurovision stage this year which I believe is a converted shipyard, if Molly can get the performance right, this could be epic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What makes it a poor tune?

Umm the fact that it's not a very good song.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tribute wrote: »
    Umm the fact that it's not a very good song.

Again, what makes it not a very good song?
    ---

Another song of hers 'Lock Up Your Daughter'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVo002OkaNg
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Why are other countries songs always much better than ours. Others hire top songwriters like Iain James (sparx) who has written hits for emily sande, olly murs,little mix.
    He wrote Azerbaijan's "Running Scared" and Belgium's Love kills, two good songs which were instanly catchy. hear them once and you are singing the hook straight away. I cant understand the british process or choosing a song.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Again, what makes it not a very good song?
    ---

Another song of hers 'Lock Up Your Daughter'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVo002OkaNg

The fact that musically and lyrically it sounds like a school music project based on the theme 'make a song that sounds like Kaye Bush would record if she woke up and had lost all her talent'.