Anyone else find the way Michelle talks about gay people cringeworthy?

BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
Forum Member
Diary room yesterday: "I connect well with Kavana, not just because of the gay thing" (You're not gay, love) "I like Callum, even though I'm not used to straight men"

I find the way she's made herself spokesperson for the gay community and divides gays/straights as if they're different breeds a little crass. People are people! Everyone is different! As a gay man she's the type of woman I run away from. I feel like those kind of women only want to be friends with me cause I'm gay, not cause they like me as a person. Especially if they say stuff like "I've always wanted a gay friend! We can go shopping together!" I have friends, not **** hags. I saw her refer to herself in an interview as "a gay man's best friend" She probably also thinks she's "a gay man trapped in a woman's body" rolleyes

Comments

• Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I thought much the same....positive bigotry is still bigotry, IMO.
  • PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You summed her up brilliantly . I cringe at most of the stuff she spouts . Imo the stupid woman only creates division .
  • Ms Ann ThropeMs Ann Thrope Posts: 7,213
    Forum Member
    Yes I've found it odd that she thinks the gay community need her to speak for them. Why? Can they not speak for themselves? In what way does she represent gay men, being neither gay nor a man herself?

I dont know how her role has evolved, perhaps it makes more sense in the US? Although I'm not sure how she has managed turn her job as a presenter of a drag show into some kind of crusade that seems like more of a prop to her vanity than anything else. But perhaps I'm just being cynical.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When she started talking about Kav in the DR and how they click I totally predicted she would mention "it's not just because he's gay!!11!1111!1!!!" -_- I'm also a gay man and can say I would have no interest in getting to know her, **** hags are sooo annoying.
  • Robinson1Robinson1 Posts: 2,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she is living in the eighties. My nephew just came out and no-one even batted and eyelid. Of course there will always be homophobia but I reckon it's a minority, old-age view now. My nephew said he hates being patronised. x
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Full of her own self-importance.
  • pope_tartpope_tart Posts: 3,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is why i've gone off her...she seems to be treating the LBGT community as her own special little pets

Yes it's great to be supportive, but she is being downright patronising :o
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I've found it odd that she thinks the gay community need her to speak for them. Why? Can they not speak for themselves? In what way does she represent gay men, being neither gay nor a man herself?

I dont know how her role has evolved, perhaps it makes more sense in the US? Although I'm not sure how she has managed turn her job as a presenter of a drag show into some kind of crusade that seems like more of a prop to her vanity than anything else. But perhaps I'm just being cynical.

I couldn't agree more. ;-)
  • Dave_62Dave_62 Posts: 1,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find Michelle deeply homophobic. But if all the gays, lesbian, bisexuals, transgenders in the world want a leader like her, that's there choice.
  • petalspetals Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    I couldn't agree more. ;-)

Ditto. As the mother of a gay child I support gay rights but it is so not my community, it's my daughter's community. They speak for themselves.

I presume Michelle's kids were straight otherwise we would never hear the end of it..... :o
  • jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    Boyard wrote: »
    Diary room yesterday: "I connect well with Kavana, not just because of the gay thing" (You're not gay, love) "I like Callum, even though I'm not used to straight men"

I find the way she's made herself spokesperson for the gay community and divides gays/straights as if they're different breeds a little crass. People are people! Everyone is different! As a gay man she's the type of woman I run away from. I feel like those kind of women only want to be friends with me cause I'm gay, not cause they like me as a person. Especially if they say stuff like "I've always wanted a gay friend! We can go shopping together!" I have friends, not **** hags. I saw her refer to herself in an interview as "a gay man's best friend" She probably also thinks she's "a gay man trapped in a woman's body" rolleyes

What about her husband?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never heard of her before CBB and assumed she is a gay woman. I assume she's a big name in America? I'll have to google her and read up on her background.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pope_tart wrote: »
    This is why i've gone off her...she seems to be treating the LBGT community as her own special little pets

I agree. I really liked her at first but I'm finding her being self appointed spokeswoman for an entire community rather tiresome now.

God, it;s really hard to like anyone in that house isn't it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The truth is lots of gays do think of Michelle as their spokeswoman - but I guess she's a bit too wrapped up in herself to see that just because lots of gays adore you, doesn't mean they all do, and that the ones that don't won't appreciate you declaring yourself to be their leader.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's okay that she fights for equal rights for gay people, but she does go over the top in terms of forgetting that there's straight people in society as well. I think she's latching onto this very strongly because she thinks it might get her to the final. Kavana and Perez are gay, and yet the only person I've heard going on about people being gay is Michelle.
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackol wrote: »
    What about her husband?

:D:D:D Perhaps there are no straight men where she comes from. They must be thin on the ground when she's not used to them. This is the kind of, exaggeration that makes her seem false.
  • pope_tartpope_tart Posts: 3,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackol wrote: »
    What about her husband?

I imagine he's a lesbian trapped in a straight man's body ;-)
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    I agree. I really liked her at first but I'm finding her being self appointed spokeswoman for an entire community rather tiresome now.

God, it;s really hard to like anyone in that house isn't it?

Definately, I said as much yesterday. Not sure I like any of them. :(
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pope_tart wrote: »

Yes, as the peasants say (paraphrasing) in Monty Python's Holy Grail 'I didn't know we had a spokesperson, I thought we were an autonomous collective' and 'I didn't vote for ya!'.
  • binksy111binksy111 Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find her increasingly irritating, who made her "The voice for the UK Gay community" we have done very well so far without this idiotic American woman banging the drum!! I can just see her walking into G.A.Y with her entourage of screaming hyena's all baying down to her like something from a Cleopatra movie. She bring's nothing to CBB, and certainly does nothing for me!! I cant stomach hags such as her, I find all her references to the Gay community cringeworthy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Kav gay? Surely he's doing more for the gay community by being normal (bar his weird drunken "I'm going to take you down Cheggers" rant). Michelle just harps on about all the issues she needs to represent every 5 minutes.
  • Rufus KnightsRufus Knights Posts: 3,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is constantly reminding us she is representing the LGBT community. Even the clothes she wears often has a reference to LGBT.

Is she just doing this to get the gay vote?

This isn't the 1970's. People have moved on.

I found it very insulting that she would suggest Perez's behaviour would bring great shame on the LGBT community. As if that would somehow influence how the British public feel about the the LGBT community. Perez is representing Perez, not millions of people who are linked only through their sexuality.
  • Stellen11Stellen11 Posts: 8,627
    Forum Member
    I thought it odd when she said she liked talking to calum because she doesn't interact with many straight men. Like there are no straight men in her family? I dont get how you can live in the modern world and not interact with straight men
  • Rufus KnightsRufus Knights Posts: 3,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Laika wrote: »
    Is Kav gay? Surely he's doing more for the gay community by being normal (bar his weird drunken "I'm going to take you down Cheggers" rant). Michelle just harps on about all the issues she needs to represent every 5 minutes.

Absolutely spot on. Kav is just a normal guy who gets on with his life. He doesn't feel the need to remind everyone that he's gay. He's in there representing Kav and that's it.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Laika wrote: »

I agree with you re Kav. Is there really any such thing as the 'gay community' these days? I know quite a few gay people and they're not a homogeneous group, they're individual and unique people.
    My good friend is someone you wouldn't have a clue was gay until you met his partner. He's a regular bloke who goes to football, has an almost entirely straight circle of friends and would rather have pins stuck in his eyes than spend 10 minutes in GAY.

The problem is the BB deals with stereotypes. Almost every gay man they've had on their has been as camp as a row of pink tents, chosen deliberately to provoke a reaction. Sadly, Michelle for all her good intentions, seems to be re-enforcing that stereotype that gay people are not like the rest of us