Options

Is Battlefield 4 Good for an FPS Beginner?

Mojo FonesMojo Fones Posts: 82
Forum Member
I'm crap at FPS games but bought Destiny on a whim and I love it. I've had a few crucible matches and I always die a lot but still enjoy it.

Now I see Battlefield 4 on sale and wonder if it would be a tough place to get good at FPS games? It's £22 for the game and a stack of DLC so I'm really tempted...

What do you reckon?

Comments

• Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Battlefield 4 can be as easy or as complicated as you like. It's not as simple as CoD, for example. But I'd argue that the BF series is well worth the investment of learning how to play.
  • Options
    smcbeathsmcbeath Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mojo Fones wrote: »
    I'm crap at FPS games but bought Destiny on a whim and I love it. I've had a few crucible matches and I always die a lot but still enjoy it.

Now I see Battlefield 4 on sale and wonder if it would be a tough place to get good at FPS games? It's £22 for the game and a stack of DLC so I'm really tempted...

What do you reckon?

Is EA access not £20 for a years rental. You get a fair whack of games as well, inc bf4. After the year you wont want to play bf4 or any of the other rentals to be honest, in my opinion.

For me BF4 is the best fps on the xbox one, just a shame that it had all its problems at launch, like many other games. I also die a lot at these type of games but it is all good fun.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks chums. EA Access looks like good value so I reckon I'll get that, gonna need an external HDD! 😊
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just installing BF4 now from the vault. 😀😀
  • Options
    The Special OneThe Special One Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was in a similar position to you. I was never very good at fps games. Having now tried Battlefield 4 and CoD Advanced Warfare I can say that I find Battlefield a lot more enjoyable. CoD just seems way too fast paced for me and all the jumping around annoyed me.

You won't jump into a game of Battlefield and instantly get on with it though. Like others said it takes getting used to, the maps and the game modes but overall I feel there is more variety in Battlefiend and if you're starting to get annoyed you can always try a different game mode.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I much prefer BF4 to COD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well I'm enjoying the solo campaign but haven't tried multiplayer yet. I discovered the test range which I was in for nearly an hour just blowing up stuff. Thanks for persuading me to get it, well worth every penny!
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I prefer BF to COD as it feels more like real warfare, rather than running and gunning.

Although it pees me off when you get on a team that doesn't fight strategically.

Like when playing Conquest and the other team have control of the Helicopters and Aircraft, but no one tries to shoot them down with RPGs, so they take control of the flags.

If you are the only one trying to shoot them down, then they are able to use counter measures, but if at least 2 of you are aiming at them, then one can draw the counter measure and the other one can aim at the copter without any CMs.

Oh and the one big advantage of BF over COD is NO quickscoping.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Battlefield is definitely more realistic, and as such has a steeper learning curve than CoD.
    More than likely your first few games online won't be much fun as there is no matchmaking that pairs you with other players of your skill, once you've got some practice in you'll love it :)
    Add me on Xbox live if you want mojo - Gamertag is SqueezingLemonz
    I play a lot of BF4
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Added you mate. I'm hoping to find a good team game with tactics and stuff. My aim is getting better too! 😀
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I ventured online now I'm feeling more confident and what a bunch of *****. I asked why some team mates were blue and some green and they told me to go find out for myself. These weren't kids either, adult sounding men. I think I'll give it a miss.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mojo Fones wrote: »
    I ventured online now I'm feeling more confident and what a bunch of *****. I asked why some team mates were blue and some green and they told me to go find out for myself. These weren't kids either, adult sounding men. I think I'll give it a miss.

Yes you get some thick gimps online. They think because they are good at a game that makes them special.

Blue and Green are both on your side, but Green are also in your Squad and you get more points for helping them, such as being in a tank with them, or resupplying them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks mate. I've now discovered you can choose a server so I'm going to look around online. I really wanna play this game! 😊
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Will invite you into a game next time I see you on mojo.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    i prefer bf4, it seems more realistic and compared to cod. i have found you do get some really serious players (even the clans have military leadership and training) and then you just get normal players that like shooting and trolling. i think if you learn the play bf4 you'll be good at any fps out there
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As yet I haven't had any brilliant games. Had a few deathmatches but I know I'm missing out on the real deal of playing in a squad and using tactics. I'm enjoying it though, real fist-pump moments when I got my first head shot and melee kills!