Elite Dangerous

Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
Forum Member
✭✭
Confirmed yesterday by David Braben and Frontier, plus also announced at GDC by Phil Spencer.

Elite: Dangerous will be having its "console debut" on Xbox One, with Xbox One the only console it will be available for during 2015.

It will be "the complete and authentic Elite: Dangerous experience", and will include the first three (at the very least?) free content updates the PC version has (or is getting): Community Goals, Wings, and Power Play.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=121383&p=1879446&viewfull=1#post1879446

http://www.elitedangerous.com/xboxone

http://news.xbox.com/2015/03/games-elite-dangerous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAwmbvRJkzM

Comments

• Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    With this and World of Tanks that's my gaming needs taken care of for the rest of 2015.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised there haven't been more replies to this.
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    I think I might give this one a try. I just hope it's not too addictive.
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    I'm surprised there haven't been more replies to this.

Yeah, seems to be a certain lack of enthusiasm around these parts.

Well I'm excited. At least this, Neverwinter, Fable and World of Tanks mean that there are some interesting Xbox One title on the cards. Certainly more exciting than the campaign to get Modern Warfare 2 remastered for the One.
  • deadmancarldeadmancarl Posts: 2,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have Elite on the PC and enjoy it. It's the type of game that you need to have time to play but I didn't finding making money too hard to do and I didn;t go down the trader route.

As for F2P games I might give Neverwinter and World or Tanks a go
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, seems to be a certain lack of enthusiasm around these parts.

Well I'm excited. At least this, Neverwinter, Fable and World of Tanks mean that there are some interesting Xbox One title on the cards. Certainly more exciting than the campaign to get Modern Warfare 2 remastered for the One.

If they were to remaster a Modern Warfare game I'd rather it was the first one (CoD4) as that is by far the best!

Still playing WoT and trying to get my tier 8 AT-15! :D
    Forum Member
    If they were to remaster a Modern Warfare game I'd rather it was the first one (CoD4) as that is by far the best!

Still playing WoT and trying to get my tier 8 AT-15! :D

The AT-2 and AT-8 are the high points, the weak spots just seem to get bigger with the AT-7, AT-15 and the Tortiose. Though all is forgiven once you get the Deathstar!
  • Cpl_CarrottCpl_Carrott Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    Can't wait for this, The number of hours i lost playing Frontier was frightening.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't wait for this, The number of hours i lost playing Frontier was frightening.

Its already out :D. It came out in Dec 2014 :o.
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its already out :D. It came out in Dec 2014 :o.
    But this is the Xbox One thread and it's not out for it yet, but I know what you were trying to do lol. :p
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    I have a Pc that could run this game but i think i'm going to wait for the xbox one edition. The reason is so i can play Co-op with my Xbox friends.

Does the game really have in-game chat all static to make the game more realistic?

Like in this video? https://youtu.be/S9WOm9COijg

I hope they keep this for the Xbox one version, its a fun feature.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I am looking forward to this. Thank you for the information.
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    So...

Has anyone paid the £25 and downloaded it?

I cant find it via the console, but if i go onto xbox.com it is there but I haven't taken the plunge yet as everywhere else seems to be so quiet on it.

I think it is only available for preview members right now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've bought it, but not started it yet.

It's not only for preview members, and it is there on the console's store. Can't remember where, but it is there as that's where I found it.

The Xbox Game Preview that Elite: Dangerous is part of is a totally different thing to the Xbox One Preview Programme: one is open for all who want to pay for early access to unfinished games (like Steam's early access), the other is restricted membership for access to betas of system updates.
    Forum Member
    Go to the game store section and keep pressing down past demos. Elite Dangerous and The Long Dark have their own section.

Played it a lot now and although I've had a few glitches and a few game crashes i'm having a lot of fun.

I'm up to 390,000 Cr so far, and I've made that mostly by running illegal substances and slaves for shady people. I've been attacked a few times too, although I've always manged to either escape or win the battle in every case.

My current ship is the Adder, its a big clunky pile of junk, but it was the cheapest ship i could find that has a big enough cargo hold for my drug runs. I've upgraded the guns on her to help us dispose of pirates that come knocking when my cargo hold is full.

Good times.
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So is this a MMO or just single player?
  • deadmancarldeadmancarl Posts: 2,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    So is this a MMO or just single player?

On the PC you can play it single player with just yourself (human player) in the galaxy, private lobby or online where you might see someone.
    I play it online and don't see people, but I play as a bounty hunter killing wanted criminals at resource extraction sites.

I would imagine the Xbox version will be the same.
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich_L wrote: »
    So...

I think it is only available for preview members right now.
    Nope it's not. It's below the demo section. I've downloaded the trial but haven't tried it yet.
    Forum Member
    I would imagine the Xbox version will be the same.

It is. Ive been playing online as the missions seem to be better.been shot at other players a couple of times. I just got my feeble ass out of there before it got too much.

Did witness a battle between 3 players aswell, but i kept my distance.
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Downloaded the trial and had a go although an hours trial really isn't enough especially when the training levels take some time.

Looks a great detailed game but I started getting frustrated by the instructions in the training levels. Some were really straight forward as they specified the buttons as you were given each instruction but there were some that seemed to refer to things but not actually tell you where they are?!?!?

On the travel training I got out of the training station, retracted the landing gear then it was telling me to unbound something to charge up the FSD. I eventually found a reference to the FSD in one of the panels but couldn't see how to unbound anything. Spent 20 minutes and even restarted the level to see if if missed something but was just the same. Then the trial ended.
    Forum Member
    Yeah, the trial is pretty much useless on a game like this, as it takes over an hour to get to grips with the controls, and another hour to find your feet with making money and making contact with other ships.

The trail really should be infinite but bound to a very small part of the Galaxy on solo mode.
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction, found it now and paid the £25 for it - is that going to be it now or will I pay more when it is officially released?

Haven't had time to play it, naturally!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, some of those training missions were a pain!

It really helps to watch the videos linked from the training section. Clicking the links opens up the console's IE and takes you to the video on YouTube (from where you can use the proper YouTube app if you want).

Here's a link to the official YouTube channel, which has all the training videos and a lot more:

https://www.youtube.com/user/FrontierDevelopments/videos

The wiki also has a lot of info:

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Elite_Dangerous_Wiki

Rich_L wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction, found it now and paid the £25 for it - is that going to be it now or will I pay more when it is officially released?

Haven't had time to play it, naturally!!

It's just the £25 now, and that's it. Once it ends "preview" you don't need to pay again.

From the "guest blog" link I posted earlier:

Elite: Dangerous Guest Blog: Gary Richards Xbox One Producer
    We’re offering it at a special introductory price if you buy now, just like we did with the Mercenary Edition on PC, and when the Game Preview ends you’ll automatically receive the complete release version of the game.
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    I have decided to give this game a go I hope I can get to grips with it and enjoy it.