Options

Good current horror recommendations

13»

Comments

• Options
    ScooterwolfScooterwolf Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone seen The Chenobyl Diaries yet? Is it worth a look?

I thought it was awful, start was quite interesting but slowly got worse as it went along, not sure what the shaky cam was all about either.
  • Options
    MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone seen The Chenobyl Diaries yet? Is it worth a look?

I really enjoyed the first half of the film, it was very eerie,but got seriously bored by the end.
  • Options
    Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've not seen Sinister yet, but it's top of the list with Paranormal Activity 4. I was gonna give Cherynobyl Diaries a watch as well, it's meant to be woeful, the trailer looked fun though. Think I may go for it. I'm a big fan of handheld horror, something realistic about it that I like
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Toy_Hero wrote: »
    I've not seen Sinister yet, but it's top of the list with Paranormal Activity 4. I was gonna give Cherynobyl Diaries a watch as well, it's meant to be woeful, the trailer looked fun though. Think I may go for it. I'm a big fan of handheld horror, something realistic about it that I like

I saw it at the cinema and went in expecting it to be awful, but came out pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed it, even if it was basically just "Chernobyl Has Eyes". The ending was a bit crappy though.

Also, i'd recommend Sinister over Paranormal Activity 4 if you have to choose, it's by far the better horror film. PA4 is "okay", but the whole formula is getting very tired now and the "scares" are very predictable, i'll probably wait for PA5 to come on Sky Box Office now to be honest, they're milking it for all it's worth.
  • Options
    MadeInHarryMadeInHarry Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    30 Days Of Night, is great for gore! & not really a twist but kinda a ending you don't think would happen, then The Hatcher (I think that's what its called) its so gory! (Jaw being ripped open) hehe.. & for some twists Tringe is amazing movie too, it has Melissa George in it. :-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    30 Days Of Night, is great for gore! & not really a twist but kinda a ending you don't think would happen, then The Hatcher (I think that's what its called) its so gory! (Jaw being ripped open) hehe.. & for some twists Tringe is amazing movie too, it has Melissa George in it. :-)

Ah I really think I need to see Triangle. I kept putting it off. Plus Melissa George may make me watch it :p

___

@Orangemaid- I just finished watching Absentia. It was actually a great film. I don't even know how to describe it because it's not really horror. It's more thriller/mystery. Also it's not very tense and is quite slow. And not in the sense that it begins to pick up. It dips in and out of 'action' more or less. The thing is it's more character development driven rather than packed with action etc. I know it sounds like i'm saying it's boring, but something about it kept my attention. It really is quite odd because it kinda comes full circle as it pretty much ends how it began, yet it doesn't have an explained ending. I'd recommend it for a 1 time watch.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    ^ thanks Toy Hero

I forgot about this thread so will have to have another read..hahaha

Triangle is good, i purchased it and have seen it once when first came out..Needs more watches i thinks :D

Recent ones i have seen are

P2
    Rest Stop
    The Clinic
    See no evil
    100 Feet

and i just purchased some more, but still looking ( my dvd's are slowly building up ) :D
    and there quite gory lol
  • Options
    HamburgerPimpHamburgerPimp Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    lovely molly
    sinister
    the pact
    stakeland
    the house of the devil
    the ruins
    let the right onr in
    the rite
    grave encounters
    dream house
    the awakeneing
    absentia
    when a stranger calls
    yhe ward
    the woman in black
    the exorcism of emily rose
    darkness falls
    the new daughter
    case 39
    the collector
    dead silence
    the last house on the left
    i spit on your grave
    priest
    the woman
    creature
    fright night
    daybreakers
    the human centipede/2
    session 9
    don't be afraid of the dark
    run bitch run
    vhs
    hatchet/hatchet 2
    devil
    the texas chainsaw massacre
    night of the demons
    when the lights went out (i didn't really like this but some did and its a brit horror)
    teeth
    insidious
    hush
    the resident
    book of blood
  • Options
    InTheLoopInTheLoop Posts: 6,595
    Forum Member
    Sinister is the best horror I've seen since Drag me to Hell. FWIW DmTH is 8/10, Sinister is about 6/10. Most horror movies released now are tosh
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member
    Pontypool...not your usual style of Zombie flick...but I loved it..If you want gore...forget this film...if you want something which is different..then check out this film....a genuine 10/10 from me.
  • Options
    tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I came in here to suggest The Pact but looks like I've been beaten to it. Best horror from this year imho.
  • Options
    ScooterwolfScooterwolf Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Midnight Meat train
  • Options
    wef0undl0vewef0undl0ve Posts: 6,460
    Forum Member
    The uninvited is good but it's more of a thriller bit it has that horror feel to it, good twist at the end as well
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,129
    Forum Member
    The Cabin in the Woods is a must see! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, nice to see someone digging up my thread :D I've been running out of movies so thank you for all the new suggestions :D

The last two films i've seen were Sinister (absolutely loved it) and The Descent 2 - which I far preferred to the original.

I'm really needing to see The Pact, Triangle and Cabin In The Woods. I think the next thing I'll watch is Human Centipede 2 - Not that I'm actually really wanting to, more for the fact I wanna see if it's as disturbing as everybody says :o

I'm not sure if it's just me or not, but does anybody find that a horror movie is better when you don't know any of the cast? It's like when I watched the remake of Amityville Horror and saw Ryan Reynolds and Melissa George - I knew it would be shit. In saying that, Melissa was good in WΔZ and I hope she's good in Triangle :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Another i liked was Broken..a true story too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    Another i liked was Broken..a true story too

I seen you watched it, I was trying to look it up. What's it about without giving any spoilers? :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I seen you watched it, I was trying to look it up. What's it about without giving any spoilers? :p

well its not easy to say without spoilers :D

ok i will try..gory and Saw 2 twist at end...chains and tools used :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    well its not easy to say without spoilers :D

ok i will try..gory and Saw 2 twist at end...chains and tools used :D

Sounds quite good :p Have you saw The Collector yet, it was quite Saw-esque. I loved it. There's a sequel out I think called The Collection
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sounds quite good :p Have you saw The Collector yet, it was quite Saw-esque. I loved it. There's a sequel out I think called The Collection

oohh yea seen it, but didnt know theres a sequel..sounds good :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lovely molly
    sinister
    the pact
    stakeland
    the house of the devil
    the ruins
    let the right onr in
    the rite
    grave encounters
    dream house
    the awakeneing
    absentia
    when a stranger calls
    yhe ward
    the woman in black
    the exorcism of emily rose
    darkness falls
    the new daughter
    case 39
    the collector
    dead silence
    the last house on the left
    i spit on your grave
    priest
    the woman
    creature
    fright night
    daybreakers
    the human centipede/2[/B
    ]session 9
    don't be afraid of the dark
    run bitch run
    vhs
    hatchet/hatchet 2
    devil
    the texas chainsaw massacre
    night of the demons
    when the lights went out (i didn't really like this but some did and its a brit horror)
    teeth
    insidious
    hush
    the resident
    book of blood

All in bold i seen

also have you or has anyone seen Offspring ? Similar film to The Woman ? is it any good
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just watched Triangle - Absolutely fantastic. Pretty good acting from Melissa George, I really enjoyed it. Really kept you thinking! But I love horrors that you have to keep attention to - even though it's pretty much thriller/mystery but i'm not complaining :p

Just 1 question, I'll put it in a spoiler. I hope I don't confuse anyone considering it's a confusing film haha
    Am I right to believe in the 'end of the movie' (before we returned to the beginning) that she was now fully aware of the deja vu that was about to take place. So she decided she'd return to the boat hoping this time she could go through it all again so she could change the outcome of her son? So if the movie had played, all the events would unfold but this time she'd keep her eyes on the road and not cause her sons death?