Options

Hit films now Forgotten

Comments

• Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Gort wrote: »
    Yeah, that scene about the knife is still in public consciousness. Someone below your post mentioned Basic Instinct, but then most people know about the leg-crossing scene. I suppose it says something about those films that single scenes are only referenced, but those films are still in the general public's mind. Both those films don't seem to sit too well with this thread.
    There's another couple of scenes from CD1/2.
    The crotch clutch scene.
    The can of food throw.
    I'd also throw in the croc and the canteen scene. And Linda Kowolski in that swim suit was quite a picture also.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Soundbox wrote: »
    Robin Hood (Kevin Costner version) was massive. It was all everyone spoke of back then and the song was lodged in the No.1 chart position for MONTHS! Now it has faded almost into the past.
    Titanic was so huge that people were going and seeing it multiple times in a week and sobbing in the streets. Now it is seen as corny with hammy acting and has lost its sparkle.
    The Star Trek films were also massive but some of the later ones were not that memorable.

Yeah, Costner's RH doesn't seem to get mentioned with the popular interpretations
    of the legend, like the Errol Flynn film, or the Richard Greene and
    Michael Praed/Jason Connery TV shows.

I've mentioned this before, but Nathan Rabin has an interesting series
    of articles on just this subject, "Forgotbusters" :

http://thedissolve.com/features/forgotbusters/
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, Costner's RH doesn't seem to get mentioned with the popular interpretations
    of the legend, like the Errol Flynn film, or the Richard Greene and
    Michael Praed/Jason Connery TV shows.

I've mentioned this before, but Nathan Rabin has an interesting series
    of articles on just this subject, "Forgotbusters" :

I had read the Avatar one but didn't realise he had written about others. In a way these are the direct opposite of cult films, liked by many for a short time instead of being loved by a few for a long time.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've mentioned this before, but Nathan Rabin has an interesting series of articles on just this subject, "Forgotbusters" :

:o I didn't even realise Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer was already filmed and released. In 2007, too! I was actually waiting for it since seeing the mediocre Fantastic 4 in 2005.

That site looks fun, though. I'm bookmarking it (well, as soon as I recover from the shock). Thanks for the heads up.
  • Options
    axlgodaxlgod Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about 'Speed'.

Big hit at the time, lots of hype.
    Keanu, Sandra & even Dennis Hopper.
  • Options
    AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    E.T. - it was truly everywhere. Toys, keyrings, heavy media coverage, sweater tops, parodies, comics, posters, etc. I never saw the film because it was so hyped that I was already sick of it when it was finally released. Nowadays it seems to only crop up in an article here and there.

ET has an incredible, long lasting legacy though. So many kids got BMXs the Christmas following that movie, in the UK anyway. I'm sure BMX wouldn't have been anywhere near as huge as it was in it's heyday without ET, and I still see the odd old skool Kuwahara BMX recreated as the ET version that was released in the wake of the movie. The originals are still a collectors favourite too.
  • Options
    sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Asarualim wrote: »
    ET has an incredible, long lasting legacy though. So many kids got BMXs the Christmas following that movie, in the UK anyway. I'm sure BMX wouldn't have been anywhere near as huge as it was in it's heyday without ET, and I still see the odd old skool Kuwahara BMX recreated as the ET version that was released in the wake of the movie. The originals are still a collectors favourite too.

Well if BMX is its biggest contribution to nowadays that kinda makes the point the film itself is somewhat forgotten
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zorba the greek.
  • Options
    AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sinbad8982 wrote: »
    Well if BMX is its biggest contribution to nowadays that kinda makes the point the film itself is somewhat forgotten

It's still a lasting legacy that a lot of other movies don't have. That there are still people buying and selling ET Kuwahara bikes now suggests the movie is not forgotten, even if it is only amongst the old skool BMX community.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    I think some films are just iconic for either the Actors in it or quotes from it. Think of the most iconic films: Godfather, Apocalypse Now, Star Wars, Jaws, Indiana Jones etc.

Another reason is maybe nowadays going to the cinema to see the latest film isn't that big of a deal. When I was younger it was a treat, to go and see the "talked about film". These day with all the trailers, facebook etc you virtually know the film before going to see it.

Back when I was young mid 70's you went to see a film either because your friends had seen it or it was "special" I remember going to see "star wars", my dad was in the Navy and in the pay office was the poster, and one of the girls told him it's fantastic. So home on leave he comes, and off to see we went. We had no real idea what it was about.

Films these days just don't seem special, and you don't have to wait 20 or 30 years to see it in your own home.
  • Options
    mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Might seem odd as it's so recent, Chronicle.

Big hit and good film, but since it finished in cinemas everyone seems to have forgotten about it.
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As Good As It Gets is in fact remembered a great deal, especially in other films using lines from it - the most often quoted line is about wanting to be a better person.

In fact an interesting thread might be on films that 'quote' other films - for example the way in which Pulp Fiction references Kiss Me Deadly a couple of times with the underlit face from the case.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    It's was BMX Bandits that got me into BMXing ;)
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member

E.T. still gets mentioned a bit by people I know, and still gets homaged
    in shows like "The Simpsons" and "American Dad!" so I'd hardly
    think it's forgotten. :cool:

Now "Mac And Me", on the other hand, is only remembered with
    derisive laughter....
  • Options
    Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,372
    Forum Member
    Johnbee wrote: »
    As Good As It Gets is in fact remembered a great deal, especially in other films using lines from it - the most often quoted line is about wanting to be a better person.

In fact an interesting thread might be on films that 'quote' other films - for example the way in which Pulp Fiction references Kiss Me Deadly a couple of times with the underlit face from the case.

Is As Good As It Gets quoted in that many other movies? I don't know the context on a few of these, but here I only see The Heat and American Dreamz as applicable:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119822/movieconnections#referenced_in
  • Options
    k0213818k0213818 Posts: 5,916
    Forum Member
    The one that comes to mind for me is Air Force One- People seem to remember Harrison Ford playing the President and that's it.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    k0213818 wrote: »
    The one that comes to mind for me is Air Force One- People seem to remember Harrison Ford playing the President and that's it.

Most probably because it was a bog standard action flick...entertaining but not really memorable.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Most probably because it was a bog standard action flick...entertaining but not really memorable.

Yeah. Harrison Ford, Gary Oldman, Glenn Close, William H. Macy, Paul Guilfoyle, Dean Stockwell.

What a waste of a cast.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kind of on topic but, I don't understand why Disney/Pixar treat A Bug's Life, Ratatouille and in the last couple of years UP and The Incredibles like a read-headed stepchild.
  • Options
    ErythroleukosErythroleukos Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter Jacksons version of King Kong? One of the top 5 grossing films of 2005. It's hardly ever mentioned now and is relegated to re-runs on ITV2/3/4 (delete as applicable)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Peter Jacksons version of King Kong? One of the top 5 grossing films of 2005. It's hardly ever mentioned now and is relegated to re-runs on ITV2/3/4 (delete as applicable)

I like that film. I don't get the hate for it. No it's not the original. But it's not a bad remake in anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Clint Eastwood and his films..Is he still acting now ?
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blade.

I went to see Blade in 1998 when it came out & loved it.

The 2nd one was good, but the third one killed it dead, as it was trying to be Blade, but with less Blade.

With Marvel churning out superhero films almost monthly & rebooting the ones that its got the rights back for, I would have thought a reimagining of Blade would be in the offing?
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Mrs Checks wrote: »
    The Artist (forgotten about quite quickly)
    Despite its award success, and gaining quite some recognition at the time The Artist was still a pretty niche film - most people that weren't particuarly interested in films (i.e. the more mainstream viewership) weren't really going to see it. It also didn't pave the way for longevity really - it doesn't warrant a sequel or a franchise, isn't going to be seen by kids... it was quite limited in its accessibility.
    Mrs Checks wrote: »
    Ratatouille (feel like this is the "forgotten" Pixar movie.
    Really? I feel that A Bug's Life is the forgotten Pixar film. It was so long ago that it was released now, and it has the misfortune of being wedged between the first two Toy Story films. A shame, as I think it was brilliantly done! :)

dee123 wrote:
    Kind of on topic but, I don't understand why Disney/Pixar treat A Bug's Life, Ratatouille and in the last couple of years UP and The Incredibles like a read-headed stepchild.
    Is that to say the more successful Pixar films that haven't been given a sequel (aside from The Incredibles, which is now getting a sequel)? I found there was an awful amount of hype for Up, although the film never really grabbed me - it had nothing on WALL-E for me, though both films seem to have been very well received overall :)
    dee123 wrote:
    I like [King Kong]. I don't get the hate for it. No it's not the original. But it's not a bad remake in anyway.
    I think it's an okay film, it's just that it takes far too long to get going. I appreciate and even enjoy the longevity of most of Peter Jackson's films - I feel his two big slip ups though were The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, and his King Kong. It's over an hour before we even make it to the island, let alone see the gorilla. Then there was the awful dinosaur stampede which seemed to defy physics on every level. For me, King Kong is a rare example of a film that has a poor half and a good half - where the good half is the second half. The end of the film is superb, powerful, well animated, well scored, well acted, creepy in places (the bug pit). It's just a shame it took so darned long to get to it, and it puts me off watching.

As for films I think fit the bill a bit here...
    The Narnia film series seems to have continually get forgotten. The films are divisive at any rate (I'm personally not a fan, they're too preachy - so I guess in line with the text) but they're relatively successful at the box office - in fact The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe was Disney's biggest worldwide release at the time. I don't even know who has the rights to them now but they're pressing ahead with The Silver Chair next. I can't say I'm bothered.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    Clint Eastwood and his films..Is he still acting now ?

A lot of people thought Grand Torino would be his last acting role but then he did Trouble with the Curve as a favour to his producer who directed it, so who knows. Currently enjoying modest success as a director with American Sniper.;-)