Options

Moving House

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmmm.... Master socket installed. Drop cable attached to both house and telegraph pole. No dial tone!

The engineer has connected an 87J osc unit to the master socket and is currently in a junction box somewhere nearby trying to find the correct cable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WEP is as secure as a f@rt in a colander. :eek:

WPA-PSK is much more secure. :cool:
  • Options
    wwwebberwwwebber Posts: 3,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sirpipe wrote: »

Correct !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sirpipe wrote: »

Couldn't agree more - my typo - i meant WPA!

UPDATE : The engineer left at about 4ish - guess what? No line! He has to climb another pole to feed a cable to the pole that my drop comes from - but it was getting too dark (he reckons) - so he is coming back in the morning.

Oh well, one more night without BTV wont hurt I guess!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    snowy2007 wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more - my typo - i meant WPA!

UPDATE : The engineer left at about 4ish - guess what? No line! He has to climb another pole to feed a cable to the pole that my drop comes from - but it was getting too dark (he reckons) - so he is coming back in the morning.

Oh well, one more night without BTV wont hurt I guess!

I know I wouldn't climb after 1600hrs, they stopped winter working (4 day week 1740 finish) for safety reasons, so thats exactly why I wouldn't climb.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know I wouldn't climb after 1600hrs, they stopped winter working (4 day week 1740 finish) for safety reasons, so thats exactly why I wouldn't climb.

Hi Patchy,

I wasn't complaining - in fact, the engineer was a VERY nice guy - I don't blame him at all for not climbing at that time - and it was starting to rain a little. I was just being sarcastic. No offence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok - engineer arrived spot on the dot at 8.30am! VERY impressed! He is currently attached to a nearby pole...
  • Options
    alanb123alanb123 Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    Hail - Apparently their Wodka is excellent. Keep us informed of installation etc. at you new abode please ! :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanb123 wrote: »
    Hail - Apparently their Wodka is excellent. Keep us informed of installation etc. at you new abode please ! :cool:

LOL! Apparently it's better than the Russian stuff!

Serisouly though, he has been up the pole for a long time now - I'm kind of wondering if he is stuck or something! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nothing worse than a stuck up pole ! :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok - engineer arrived spot on the dot at 8.30am! VERY impressed! He is currently attached to a nearby pole...

Good stuff.

Please be aware that he has probably bumped another appointment to finish your installation. For those situations where an engineer is late - it could be because he's providing an impressive service elsewhere !!.

Just though I'd point that out - I've had engineers turn up late on a couple of occasions - it's annoying but you should remind yourself of why this could be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wwwebber wrote: »
    Good stuff.

Please be aware that he has probably bumped another appointment to finish your installation. For those situations where an engineer is late - it could be because he's providing an impressive service elsewhere !!.

Just though I'd point that out - I've had engineers turn up late on a couple of occasions - it's annoying but you should remind yourself of why this could be.

Actually he did tell me that they have a shortage of work in our area and that as soon as a job comes up all the engineers try to grab it - Apparently if there is no work they are moved to another "patch" and they prefer to work on their "home patch" ??!?!

UPDATE : Phone line is working! Yayyy! No broadband! Ooppss... The engineer from Openreach reckons that he has checked at the exchange and there is no order for Broadband (just a "cease" on my old line). He also stated that as it is a new drop cable from the pole to my house the line would require about a week of "testing" before they could connect it to BB!

Phoned 0800 800 150 - They confirmed that there IS, in fact, an order for BB and gave me the order number. They are now transferring me to the BB Service team who, apparently, have a different system they can look at to see what is going on? I am on hold as I type...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A very pleasant lady has just checked my line details and it seems that, although the previous property BB was ceased the new order WASN'T in fact started. This even though I have paperwork stating that it was and they even posted a "welcome to broadband" booklet to the new address!

She is now speaking to somebody else to see if they can get an immediate start on the broadband (rather than waiting for the 5 day lead time on a new order)

Still on hold....
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hiya My fellow QPR man.

Where have you been:confused: Back to your normal abnormality I hope.Hick.

I promised my wife we would never move again. We have done it 12 times at least(Move) We don't have poles around here, we are too civilised. Would ruin the ambience in this haven of tranquillity. Lets hope Simon gets sorted soon. He is like me, getting stuck in.

Pierre(That sounds posher)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Still on hold....

Blimey - are you STILL on hold ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got off phone!

The nice lady told me that they would have to start a new broadband order with a lead time of 5 days!! I complained (very very politely) and explained that whilst I realised she was doing her best, and being most helpful, there must be something that could be done. This is, after all, simply a matter of procedure - and the cock-up is BT's fault! I asked her if it would be possible to speak to a manager.

She agreed and went to get her manager. After short time she came back on and explained she had talked to her manager, he had looked at the system and found a "provisional" order that was pending. This can be activated within 24 hours apparently. She just need to put me through to "Line Testing" to have the line install job closed off and then they would start the order straight away. I spoke to Line Testing. They have closed the job off as an active, broadband ready telephone line.

Now I just wait.... Hopefully it will all work within 24 hours. I must say though that the lady I spoke to was helpful, sympathetic and really really did her best to help me.

It just goes to show that digging your heels in a little in a polite and friendly way can often get results...

Right, now I'm off the phone I'm going to meet my wife for lunch! Wish me luck - she will have a list of jobs as long as my arm for me!

Next installment soon...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just rung BT again - to make DOUBLE sure that everything was going according to plan! It wasn't!

Due to my call they have now told their systems that my line works and BB can be activated - Sometime in next 24 to 48 hrs...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Keep going snow ! You are getting there. How was lunch and did you get your wife to pay !!!!!!!! :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keep going snow ! You are getting there. How was lunch and did you get your wife to pay !!!!!!!! :cool:

Thanks Alan - I will get there eventually - No use in gettin wound up about it, it WILL all happen, just a question of when!

Lunch was very nice and who do you think paid?? :)

She *NEVER* pays!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I knew who payed so I suppose question was rhetorical to say the least. Been on phone to BT today about line speed for BB (or at least they have phoned me 4 times). My wife wants me to shout and curse but like you I take the quieter approach and seem to get better results. Just keep at them and try explaining to your spouse the "importance" of things ! Bet she will understand (not). :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I knew who payed so I suppose question was rhetorical to say the least. Been on phone to BT today about line speed for BB (or at least they have phoned me 4 times). My wife wants me to shout and curse but like you I take the quieter approach and seem to get better results. Just keep at them and try explaining to your spouse the "importance" of things ! Bet she will understand (not). :cool:

It is true to say that if you are patient and use logical argument and friendly politeness you will get further. Whatever the problem it is NOT the CS persons fault! Their job is to help so it is no point blaming them personally for the failings of a HUGE coroporation that they work for!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still no BB this morning. I am currently on the phone to the BTV team in Geordieland - Hopefully they will be able to get something moving. I know it hasn't been 24-48 hrs but it can't hurt to give them a little nudge...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oooopss... Rebooted HH and forgot I was using the HubPhone! :o

Just phoned back and speaking to another guy who is trying to help me out!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oooopss... Rebooted HH and forgot I was using the HubPhone! :o

Just phoned back and speaking to another guy who is trying to help me out!

You are not alone in rebooting the hub whist on BT Talk. Makes one feel such prat. Most annoying when you are on to BT.

Keep plugging away at the B*****rs

You must have escaped the house and the curtain rails.;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another helpful guy but still no BB! He has spoken to several departments who ALL are now saying - "It's done, BB is activated!" - But it isn't!

Just in case, I even tried a Netgear and a Voyager router - no BB on line!

The BTV Guy has now passed this on to resolutions so that they can speak to BT Wholesale to flag the line as being active!

Well... time to put my suit on and go the the office (normal suit, not my bat-suit). I have a meeting with the VAT man today - The day just keeps getting better :-)