Transferring photos from mobile phone.

Hi, I have been trying to put photos from my mobile phone (Samsung Galaxy Y) to my laptop without success. I am connecting the USB cable but nothing seems to be happening. Can anyone advise please? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does the phone pop up a message asking what you want to do with the USB connection? Some phones explicitly ask if you want to use USB drive mode or words to that effect. This makes the phone's internal storage appear as an external drive to Windows (assume you are using Windows?)

Also Windows should recognise the phone has been plugged in and if it's the first time should install a set of drivers to access the phone. It is possible this process failed and there may be a CD with drivers that came with the phone or downloadable from the Samsung website.
  • GoodBuddyGoodBuddy Posts: 2,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try going into settings. Select wireless and networks. Select usb utilities then click connect then plug in your usb lead and it should work.
  • cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do mine via Kier Airs and the network. I don't know if you can use it with the Galaxy Y though. I have an S2
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The last post prompts me to ask if you have installed Samsung Kies on your PC? That should recognise your phone and install necessary drivers etc. for you.

But I'm surprised Windows doesn't do it for you anyway. Do you hear the 'device connected' sound when you plug in your phone?
  • steve3927steve3927 Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    The last post prompts me to ask if you have installed Samsung Kies on your PC? That should recognise your phone and install necessary drivers etc. for you.

But I'm surprised Windows doesn't do it for you anyway. Do you hear the 'device connected' sound when you plug in your phone?

That's the puzzeling bit, Samsung Kies is installed and when the phone is plugged in I hear the 'device connected' tone, but still will not connect :confused:
  • steve3927steve3927 Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    GoodBuddy wrote: »
    Try going into settings. Select wireless and networks. Select usb utilities then click connect then plug in your usb lead and it should work.

Thanks GB, I will give this a try:)
  • JamesEJamesE Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    SWMBO has an Alcatel phone and the only way that I can transfer pictures is via the internet (AT A CONSIDERABLE COST!). A right swindle! My own Motorola works via USB as you would expect. ( Virgin network, which is T-Mobile or whatever it's called now).
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steve3927 wrote: »
    That's the puzzeling bit, Samsung Kies is installed and when the phone is plugged in I hear the 'device connected' tone, but still will not connect :confused:

Same problem here with an S5830
    All I get is
    "Unable to connect to S5830i
    Failed to retrieve device information"

There is no option in Settings> Wireless and Network to enable USB utilities and can see no way of enabling this if this is what is required.

The Kies troubleshooter is worse than useless - all it does (and I've tried several times) is re-install the drivers to no avail.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Longish (but closed) discussion on a similar problem here
    http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/mobile/I5BjnKrgxfI
  • 18days18days Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    on my iphone, it'll only work if the phone is not currently locked by a password. i have to unlock my phone then plug it in to the pc / mac to be able to download the pics.
  • nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    On android phones, install something like MyPhoneExplorer (client part to Windows and the server on the phone).
    It can do several things, including transfer of files (photos/music) between the devices. Links over WiFi/router, Bluetooth and USB.