Pointless Greatest Hits Albums

13»

Comments

• Options
    PenrosePenrose Posts: 878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    Genesis - Turn it on Again - The Hits - was described by one reviewer on Amazon as "Two pearls in a trash can". :D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B00002R0M5/ref=cm_cr_pr_btm_link_4?ie=UTF8&pageNumber=4&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

I've just bought that!!!
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dido's new best of seems quite pointless - surely anybody who would be in the market for a Dido album bought the first two studio albums when they came out, considering how much they sold. And nothing she has done since has been a hit.
  • Options
    thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do people on this forum seem to be so stupid that they don't understand the difference between a best of album and a greatest hits album.

Half the suggestions seem to be albums called the best of someone, that doesn't mean they have to have had stuff that does well on the charts.

Or maybe people think that only people who do well in the charts deserve to have a retrospective album. That sounds like the type of musical snobbery that pop fans on here are always complaining about!

Lots of bands are together for years and don't have a hit in the charts yet release Best of Albums.
  • Options
    Sweet7Sweet7 Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do people on this forum seem to be so stupid that they don't understand the difference between a best of album and a greatest hits album.

Half the suggestions seem to be albums called the best of someone, that doesn't mean they have to have had stuff that does well on the charts.

Or maybe people think that only people who do well in the charts deserve to have a retrospective album. That sounds like the type of musical snobbery that pop fans on here are always complaining about!

Lots of bands are together for years and don't have a hit in the charts yet release Best of Albums.

There's no need to call people here stupid. In popular music, best of and greatest hits albums are the same thing. People know the difference but people simply group them together and refer to all 'compilations' as greatest hits.
  • Options
    theshadowtheshadow Posts: 733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even the great acts have duff Greatest Hits in their closet.
    Take Abba's 'Greatest Hits' released in 1975!!? Before Dancing Queen had even been wrote!
    This 'Greatest Hits' contains 2 number ones (Waterloo and Mamma Mia) along with one top ten (SOS). The rest of the 'Greatest Hits' is practically unlistenable and not a patch on the direction they were about to embark in.
  • Options
    thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sweet7 wrote: »
    There's no need to call people here stupid. In popular music, best of and greatest hits albums are the same thing. People know the difference but people simply group them together and refer to all 'compilations' as greatest hits.

They are only the same thing to pop fans who worship the charts!
  • Options
    aquasplash3aquasplash3 Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mialicious wrote: »
    Can anyone name more than two or three PJ and Duncan songs off the top of there head..they only made 3 studio albums yet they released 6 greatest hits albums...two of them in the same year!

They had 13 top 20 hits. I think the reason most people struggle to remember their songs is because they were mostly weak and very much of their time.

6 compilations is very excessive though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably the first greatest hits I bought was by Eternal at the end of 1997. At this point they had only been going 4 years and released 3 albums, but they had had 14 top 20 hits of which 12 had made the top 10. The good thing in particular about this CD was that you had the radio versions of the singles which sometimes sounded quite different from the album version due to a different mix. I think as a rule any greatest hits/best of compilation should have the radio versions of the songs over the album versions.
  • Options
    Zeus555Zeus555 Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    theshadow wrote: »
    Even the great acts have duff Greatest Hits in their closet.
    Take Abba's 'Greatest Hits' released in 1975!!? Before Dancing Queen had even been wrote!
    This 'Greatest Hits' contains 2 number ones (Waterloo and Mamma Mia) along with one top ten (SOS). The rest of the 'Greatest Hits' is practically unlistenable and not a patch on the direction they were about to embark in.

Actually, 'Greatest Hits' was released in 1976, in the UK,
    & many other places. It was a November 1975 release in
    Sweden.

it also had 'Fernando' on it, in several Countries - including the UK.

Several of the other Tracks on it were Top 10 or Top 20
    Hits, outside the UK - 'I Do, I Do, I Do.....', 'Honey Honey',
    'So Long', & 'Ring Ring'.

For an Album that had many 'unlistenable' Tracks on it,
    it did very well in the UK - 11 Weeks at No.1, 49 Top 10
    Weeks, & 130 Chart Weeks. It is still in the Top 10 All
    Time Best Selling 'Hits' Albums in the UK - 7th. 'Gold'
    is 2nd.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably the first greatest hits I bought was by Eternal at the end of 1997. At this point they had only been going 4 years and released 3 albums, but they had had 14 top 20 hits of which 12 had made the top 10. The good thing in particular about this CD was that you had the radio versions of the singles which sometimes sounded quite different from the album version due to a different mix. I think as a rule any greatest hits/best of compilation should have the radio versions of the songs over the album versions.

I love that greatest hits! My only gripe with it though is that you can't really hear Louise on any of the earlier tracks:mad:
  • Options
    Mark-AnthonyMark-Anthony Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mind when people release greatest hits because if I dont want them I dont buy them what annoys me is when an artist I like releases a greatest hits but its rubbish. I always think greatest hits should have extras like rarities or songs played live in a studio version etc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    I love that greatest hits! My only gripe with it though is that you can't really hear Louise on any of the earlier tracks:mad:

Apart from 'Crazy' of course :)
  • Options
    theshadowtheshadow Posts: 733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zeus555 wrote: »
    Actually, 'Greatest Hits' was released in 1976, in the UK,
    & many other places. It was a November 1975 release in
    Sweden.

it also had 'Fernando' on it, in several Countries - including the UK.

Several of the other Tracks on it were Top 10 or Top 20
    Hits, outside the UK - 'I Do, I Do, I Do.....', 'Honey Honey',
    'So Long', & 'Ring Ring'.

For an Album that had many 'unlistenable' Tracks on it,
    it did very well in the UK - 11 Weeks at No.1, 49 Top 10
    Weeks, & 130 Chart Weeks. It is still in the Top 10 All
    Time Best Selling 'Hits' Albums in the UK - 7th. 'Gold'
    is 2nd.

I dont doubt or disagree with you that it didnt do well - but it hardly deserves the title of 'Greatest Hits' being so soon after they had only started.
    Unless you are a fan of their very early material - this stuff just isnt a patch on the material that was to follow later - Dancing Queen, The Name of the Game, Winner takes it all, etc. Its like two different bands!
  • Options
    Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    I just got the essential britney spears which has all the singles on it. Its a double album.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    mialicious wrote: »
    Can anyone name more than two or three PJ and Duncan songs off the top of there head..they only made 3 studio albums yet they released 6 greatest hits albums...two of them in the same year!

I only know Let's Get Ready To Rumble and the football song they did (as Ant and Dec).
    I just got the essential britney spears which has all the singles on it. Its a double album.

Actually it doesn't have all the singles on it. Born To Make You Happy, Don't Let Me Be The Last To Know and I Love Rock 'n' Roll aren't on it. It also has two album songs (Hot As Ice and Out From Under from Blackout and Circus respectively). Obviously Ooh La La and her recent singles are omitted.
  • Options
    GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So 3008 wrote: »
    Billie Piper - The Best of Billie. An album where 8/15 tracks are B-Sides.

But I really like it1
  • Options
    Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In regards the original posters post how could a greatest hits by the biggest female pop band of the 90s be pointless? it clearly was going to have an audience who would buy for nostalgia. A new studio album would have been a different story.

btw I HATE when a band/artist release about 5 or 6 different versions of the same greatest hits. Bananarama and Kylie Minogue spring to mind.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luner13 wrote: »
    In regards the original posters post how could a greatest hits by the biggest female pop band of the 90s be pointless? it clearly was going to have an audience who would buy for nostalgia. A new studio album would have been a different story.

btw I HATE when a band/artist release about 5 or 6 different versions of the same greatest hits. Bananarama and Kylie Minogue spring to mind.

That is usually down to the record label. With Kylie the record label she was previously on tends to release a new greatest hits every year, but it always has her old tracks on it. It's because they own the music and rights. She has said about this before that it's not of her own doing as she doesn't own that music.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For a true fan of a band, any "Best of", or "Greatest Hits" compilation is pointless because they will have all the tracks anyway, although record labels often add an unreleased track for that reason, but these days a fan could just download the single track for a lot less money.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For a true fan of a band, any "Best of", or "Greatest Hits" compilation is pointless because they will have all the tracks anyway, although record labels often add an unreleased track for that reason, but these days a fan could just download the single track for a lot less money.

They're not always pointless. Many older bands and singers have released greatest hits collections that contain all the radio remixes and single remixes that aren't available on the studio albums. The singer Jewel said she decided to finally release a greatest hits collection due to having so many radio remixes that were very hard for fans to get hold off due to either the CD singles being deleted years ago or the singles originally being issued only in promo form for radio and not for the general public. I'm a new fan of a few older bands that have issued compilation albums with all the rare single remixes on that I hear on the radio or in the music videos on YouTube and the television. I'm thankful that these compilation albums exist as I couldn't afford to purchase multiple rare and deleted singles just so I would have the single versions of certain tracks.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    I'd say the original ABBA greatest hits, it came out after the band had won Eurovision but were not yet a massive act, yet that album smashed big time.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

I did that with Britney's greatest hits albums. I just downloaded the songs I didn't have as I had the singles on the albums anyway. Worked out much cheaper. Why buy the whole compilation for a couple of unreleased songs?