Your Own Doctor Who Awards

AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,648
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just a thread to mimic the Doctor Who TV Awards - who would you give the awards too? I'll go first...but of course...

Best Lead - Peter Capaldi (clearly one of the best actors to lead an iconic role)
Best Recurring - Dan Starkey (very funny, approachable and quite a moving character)
Best Male Guest - Tom Riley (superb as Robin Hood and performed with a lot of heart)
Best Female Guest - Pippa Bennett-Warner as Saibre (cannot be bettered imo as she showed so much potential in Time Heist and hopefully we'll see her reappear).
Best Villain - Gus (creepy, controlling and manipulative - even Missey pales in comparison)
Best Returning Monster - The Daleks (frightening, unstoppable and almost unbeatable)
Best New Monster - The Mummy (too creepy for words - couldn't fail to terrify)
Best SFX - Flatline (looked very impressive)
Best Music - Deep Breath (nerve jangling at times, light in others - Murray Gold excelled in this story more than the others this series)
Best Director - Douglas McKinnon (excelled so well this year in each of his stories)
Best Writer - Phil Ford (for me the undoubted winner because he co-wrote not only the best Dalek story in years, but his script had identifiable characters, pathos, drama, terror and resolution.)
Best Pre-Title - Dark Water (Clara's loss of Danny, combined with her blackmailing the Doctor to save him was brilliantly written and performed by the three leads.)
Best Story - Deep Breath (gave us a new Doctor, cracking villains and one of the most nerve jangling stories I've seen in many a year)
Special Award - Chris Addison as Seb (his non-chalance regarding cremations stands him out as chilling and amoral)

So who would you give the above awards to? :)

Comments

• PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best Lead - Peter Capaldi

Best Recurring - Jemma Redgrave

Best Female Guest - Michelle Gomez

Best Male Guest - Tom Riley

Best Villain - Missy

Best Returning Monster - Clara

Best New Monster - The Boneless (hard to choose between them and the mummy)

Best SFX - Flatline, because of interesting affects such as the sofa bit

Best Music - The James Bond moment with the Doctor diving towards the Tardis, pure cheesy fun.

Best Director - Douglas McKinnon

Best Writer - Jamie Mathieson

Best Pre-Title - Listen (though mummy and into the Dalek were great too)

Best Story - Mummy on the Orient Express

Special Award - Unfortunately I'd give a negative special award, for the on-going problem of taking a show that can go anywhere in time and space and producing a series that spends almost all of its time focusing on earth or near earth with humans, a massive amount of planets in a universe to go and explore and species to meet and yet we see little of these travels, that is if they even do go out into the vastness of the universe as it seems they prefer to visit strange new worlds such as Bristol.

Its quite an achievement to take a show that gives off this idea of travelling and exploring the universe and getting away with the fact that very little of that actually takes place. Of course this could be what a lot of people and the makers want, that the show is more about how the Doctors way of life affects the companions and their life, like we have seen in series 8 with Clara (the caretaker being the prime example) its just that while I do like that aspect of DW I would like more episodes with adventures on strange worlds far out in the universe type thing, while having great character beats too.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Ok, I'll fill most in......

BEST LEAD: David Tennant
    BEST RECURRING: Brigadier Alistair Lethbridge Stewart (NICHOLAS COURTNEY!)
    BEST MALE GUEST: Tom Riley (what a hoot of a Robin Hood!!)
    BEST FEMALE GUEST: A clash here - Michelle Gomez or Kate O'Mara!!
    BEST VILLAIN: The Master (preferably Delgado!)
    BEST F/X : The Tardis blowing up in The Mind Robber!!
    BEST MUSIC: Murray Gold and the chase down Westminster Bridge with Rose!
    BEST STORY: The Daleks/Dead Planet.......the first realisation of the bloody deadly
    pepperpots!!
    SPECIAL AWARD: Tough one this. But I award it to David Tennant and Catherine Tate for being the best pairing of the 21st century!:):):)

Also a special award to LIS SLADEN as Sarah Jane Smith! The best companion the Doctor ever had. She even survived into century 21 to get her own series! :):)
  • PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the awards were meant for series 8 if I'm not mistaken :blush:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best Lead
    Peter Capaldi, but the whole cast was distractingly good. Every single person brought their A-game. Really superb.

Best Recurring
    Michelle Gomez! So, so good.

Best Male Guest
    Peter Ferdinando. A difficult part, nailed. Just enough pathos to make him interesting and fallible, but still strong and scary enough to be a proper, creepy antagonist.

Best Female Guest
    Faye bloody brilliant Marsay. She deserves awards, plaudits, and all the drinks in the world for a knockout performance. They were trying to do a thing with Last Christmas, where because you didn't know if Jenna was staying or going you were meant to be worried Clara was going to die, but... frankly, Clara had already had a good innings! Leave on a high. It was Shona I was scared for, I wanted her in the from TARDIS the moment she started dancing and I was absolutely terrified they might Osgood her at any minute and shatter my beautiful Series 9. Every minute was a roller coaster, delighted she survived, and I'm still clinging to the faint hope that she may indeed meet up with them again.

Best Villain
    Missy, Missy, Missy.

Best Returning Monster
    Clockwork Droids, but the Cybermen were decently reimagined too. Daleks had their best story in a while, but basically just dalekked it up.

Best New Monster
    Kantrafarri; properly unsettling, bloody brilliant. Just pipped the Mummy, who was also brilliant.

Best SFX
    Flatline. Superb monsters, beautifully realised.

Best Music
    Mummy on the Orient Express. Not just for Queen. Loads of character, very old school Poirot.

Best Director
    Sheree Folkson. Story's just okay, but the direction is phenomenal. Loads and loads of great, visual humour. Edgar Wright level stuff, in places. Capaldi lurching into frame - overbearing, grinning, "TREEEEEES!"

Best Writer
    Jamie Mathieson. Steven Moffat played some absolute blinders, but also provided a couple of slightly imperfect stories. Mathieson hasn't done anything at a showrunner level, but two perfectly-formed gems of monster of the week stories. Superb new blood, and not before time.

Best Pre-Title
    Mummy on the Orient Express, but Listen runs it close.

Best Story
    Last Christmas. Listen was inventive, creepy and thought-provoking but a little oversold - more Boom Town than Blink. (That's not criticism - both great episodes!) Jamie Mathieson's eps were really superb, but Last Christmas was Capaldi's first classic. Loved it to bits.
  • AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice selection so far...:)