Great British Menu 2012

Comments

• Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Liked Murchison's mackerel dish - looked beautiful and the combining with apple and beetroot is perfect, though you don't see it as often you might think in restaurants. We've had the humble mackerel at the banquet before, so you don't necessarily need to go big-time with ingredients on the fish course.

The other 2 plates were dreadful I thought - celeriac broth and shop bought made mayonnaise? It didn't seem to me that they'd thought about presentation very clearly either - or over-thought it maybe.The Beeb must be kicking themselves bringing those two guys in, unless one of them's got a humdinger of a main course lined-up?

Hugely enjoying Jeremy Lee's input as always, fascinating to hear him dissecting the dishes.

I'm still slightly unsure he isn't a Stanley Baxter character (I'm very old, ask your grandparents :o ), but I do love him :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Lots of Michelin stars in this year's line up. Murchison has 3 for a start if you include restaurants he owns. Quite a few big stars in this year, including Philip Howard, surely the nicest man in British restauration. Looking forward to seeing him. Funny Scotland has put so few finalists forward, considering how good their ingredients are. Jeremy Lee was once Alastair Little's sous chef, he was a character then too.
  • mindyannmindyann Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still slightly unsure he isn't a Stanley Baxter character (I'm very old, ask your grandparents :o ), but I do love him :)

:D

I love Jeremy ... although he hasn't given us a 'dear heart' yet. Am hoping it is only a matter of time. :D

This is what's up for the mains:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01g7snw
    This is the big one, the main course; which one will get top marks? Will it be barbecued veal with macaroni cheese, spinach and watercress; beef rump and terrine; or loin of blackface lamb with sweetbreads?
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    for me, this food is all style, with very little substance

I'm bored of it already. Thank god for Junior Masterchef Australia

Who can be bothered watching some arrogant buerk making a cowpat reduction or a PVC window foam
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I think they plate up on slate because it shows up colourful food real well. However, surely it must make the food go cold very quickly or was Murchison's fish dish a cold one?

I agree there does seem to be a tad more filler than previously. And we haven't heard from any sound bytes from the judges yet... They've obv given up on all the blather we've had in the previous couple of series about local produce etc etc. Which, actutally, was just a different kind of filler. Unsure whether I like the chef's comments to camera after Jeremy's had his say. What else can they say except that they have confidence in their dishes, they have showcased excellent produce etc etc

I can SO feel a drinking game coming on... anyone want to join in?
    You can get black plates. You can get square plates. Why use a piece of slate?

I agree, too much filler.
    Forum Member
    river27 wrote: »
    Jeez, so much filler.
    So many moody shots of another competitor supposedly looking at another competitor when 'something' is happening.
    To be fair they have only filmed three shots and just keep repeating them over and over
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...Who can be bothered watching some arrogant buerk making a cowpat reduction or a PVC window foam

If only... ;)
    Joining a little late. Only one woman? :( That makes me sad. I know it's a trait of the industry but it's a shame there aren't more women in this competition. Wheres Lisa?!

I think Lisa's had her two years worth. Maybe she'll be back next year as a mentor. Love Lisa...
    ...The Beeb must be kicking themselves bringing those two guys in, unless one of them's got a humdinger of a main course lined-up? ....

But don't you have to have some dross so that the stand-out chefs... well... stand out :o
    mindyann wrote: »
    ...This is what's up for the mains:

Thanks M... I forgot to post the details today. Busy day. And I am just about to go out. Shall watch tonight's later. Mind you, after this week's prev eps not sure it'll be worth the wait...:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    If only... ;)

I think Lisa's had her two years worth. Maybe she'll be back next year as a mentor. Love Lisa...
    I think this is the final series.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    does anyone else not like Alan Murchison or is it just me,,,,,,,,,,i find him arrogant and aggressive,,,,no charisma at all,,,,,he's had his chance on this time for someone else imo
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    rhumble wrote: »
    does anyone else not like Alan Murchison or is it just me,,,,,,,,,,i find him arrogant and aggressive,,,,no charisma at all,,,,,he's had his chance on this time for someone else imo

We all see different things don't we? I really like Alan Murchison and think he's funny with plenty of charisma... I don't find him aggressive either.
  • MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I think this is the final series.

Where have you heard this?? I love this show along with Great British Bake-Off, would be disappointed if this is the last year :(
  • penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who is this Jeremy Leigh bloke? Certainly doesn't do it for me. Where is Toad?!
  • maltshovelmaltshovel Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    Who's the camp Scottish chef in charge here?
  • vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure about barbecued veal..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Parsley jelly and scurvy grass. With sweetbreads. It's enough to make me run to KFC.
    Forum Member
    Mishcoll wrote: »
    Where have you heard this?? I love this show along with Great British Bake-Off, would be disappointed if this is the last year :(
    I thought I read it somewhere. I may be mistaken.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't eat lambs tongue and would be a bit miffed if it was served to me at a banquet
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mishcoll wrote: »
    I wouldn't eat lambs tongue and would be a bit miffed if it was served to me at a banquet

True, but that would be before you saw the alternative.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Want to learn how to cook? Head to Reading Rowing Club. Duh!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I thought I read it somewhere. I may be mistaken.

It was hinted at in an interview with Paul Hollywood when he was asked if he did cooking other than baking.

...but then I expect you already knew that, didn't you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not cooked enough for me

I dont think any of these main dishes will end up at the banquet

Looking forward to Glynn being the judge next week, hes lovely but then Jason, Tom and Marcus are all judging aswell this series - heaven on a plate :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also read that this will be the last series of GBM. Please don't ask for a link because I can't remember where I read it!

Not impressed by any of the dishes so far this week. Looks as though Scotland will fail to get a dish to the banquet again this year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    Murchison's veal wasn't cooked, slimy, should have scored 4 at best.

But he still delivered the line of the series.." Do olympic legends like tongue?" ; get to the banquet alan and maybe you will find out...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan looks really ill this time around.
    I cant believe the cheese factor of him meeting Sir Mathew..'dealing with loss' was he aware the shows producers made him look like a total prat??

not really liking the new timeslot for the show :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Want to learn how to cook? Head to Reading Rowing Club. Duh!!

just posted about this but in all the years of this show that has to be the most stupid segment ever.It just made no sense at all.will this be new thing? dropping former Olympians into the show..Kelly Holmes on howto make the perfect Crème brûlée :p