Gangnam Style has done it... 1b views has been reached

Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,392
Forum Member
✭✭
Holy crap! :eek::eek:

It has so far got 1,004,480,502 views. Take it in because I doubt we will see this again in our lifetime! :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0

Comments

• Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the wee gangnam style dancer at the side of the views :o:p
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    Holy crap! :eek::eek:

It has so far got 1,004,480,502 views. Take it in because I doubt we will see this again in our lifetime! :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0

Yes we will. Justin Bieber's Baby music video has 813m views so he will pass the 1b mark eventually. Congrats to Psy for being the first though, and in such a short space of time too. :)
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Yes we will. Justin Bieber's Baby music video has 813m views so he will pass the 1b mark eventually. Congrats to Psy for being the first though, and in such a short space of time too. :)

His video is years old. And if he does pass it, I don't think it will be in 2013.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that's it then. Right up there with Stairway To Heaven.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    His video is years old. And if he does pass it, I don't think it will be in 2013.

I know it is years old, and I already said that Psy has done this in such a short space of time, but we will see another 1b video within the next few years.
  • Chief_WahooChief_Wahoo Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must be one of the few who has never seen it,or even heard it.Not in any rush to do so either,especially if it's as lame as Star Wars kid,or William Hung.

Perhaps I could be the first person on I've Never Even Seen Gangnam Style.I think I'd rather see a cat chasing it's own tail.:sleep:
  • scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    I know it is years old, and I already said that Psy has done this in such a short space of time, but we will see another 1b video within the next few years.

Definitely. To think this is a phenomenom is ridiculous.
  • FanFromHollandFanFromHolland Posts: 5,987
    Forum Member
    Well the mayans predicted it
  • Purple-KiwisPurple-Kiwis Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must be one of the few who has never seen it,or even heard it.Not in any rush to do so either,especially if it's as lame as Star Wars kid,or William Hung.

Perhaps I could be the first person on I've Never Even Seen Gangnam Style.I think I'd rather see a cat chasing it's own tail.:sleep:

:D:D:D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0 :D:D:D

You know you want to :D
  • Mr CynicMr Cynic Posts: 5,435
    Forum Member
    Yayyy, first billion views ever on You Tube.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the video even *that* good? :o

Aside from a few funny scenes it's a bit bland.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant and Catchy but cant believe this made first 1bn, each to their own
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    I follow K-Pop and I am a big fan of the genre and I still can't believe PSY has done this.

Alot of its success is that PSY really does not give a s**t and was not trying to make a song and video that would blow up all over the world. Somehow it did though. All the other K-Pop acts who have tried to have huge success in the west have failed and PSY managed to do it with a catchy song he co-wrote and a funny video. Fair play to the to guy. Following this song up ain't going to be easy though.
  • pinkbellybuttonpinkbellybutton Posts: 1,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our kids at school LOVE this...they've had some treats and free time in the run up to christmas and every opportunity to get it on they did...we must have had it up at least 6 times on thursday..plus they listen to it at home on a daily basis. I have to admit it does have a rather addicitive quality about it haha.
  • dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    agree its amazing it got so many views, but what does he get out of so many people watching it on youtube?
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a genuine billion is a million million, not a thousand million;)
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cooperone wrote: »
    Brilliant and Catchy but cant believe this made first 1bn, each to their own

On YouTube, K-pop usually does very, very well in terms of views because of the population amount from Korea and similar areas, K Pop songs that no one knows anywhere else have hundreds of million despite only being released in a few countries. I am sure the song is popular in almost every country in the world and has been heard by everyone, hence reaching 1b.

For example, Gee by Girls Generation only charted in 3-5 places and still managed to get 94m views on YouTube, most probably because it was popular in Korean countries, which have a big population. The next song to reach 1b will probably be another K-pop song or a song released from China which could become international (as the country itself has over 1b population).
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodger0703 wrote: »
    agree its amazing it got so many views, but what does he get out of so many people watching it on youtube?
    I read he got some $7-$8 million out of it

http://starcasm.net/archives/189475