Korea's #1 girl group covers Duffy's "Mercy"

iamstrongiamstrong Posts: 867
Forum Member
✭✭
Girls' Generation, a 9 member girl group, have released a cove r of Duffy's "Mercy" as their buzz single for their new album. They are scheduled to release their English debut sometimes this year. What are your thoughts on this cover? :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXZxc8GSXnI

Comments

• DizagaoxDizagaox Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was meant to be released in 2008, but Duffy's team felt it'd overshadow Duffy's Asia release, and so it was put on hold (AFTER the video was shot too).

They're now using it as a promo single for their new album.
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    I don't like it :-( its not as good as their other songs

Are SNSD actually the most popular girlgroup in Korea or are you just stanning? My No.1 K-Pop Girl Group is 2NE1 of course ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    "but Duffy's team felt it'd overshadow Duffy's Asia release, and so it was put on hold "

Nope. SM didn't have the rights to it, that's why.
  • iamstrongiamstrong Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Are SNSD actually the most popular girlgroup in Korea or are you just stanning? My No.1 K-Pop Girl Group is 2NE1 of course ;)
    I LOVE both, but SNSD is definitely more popular in Korea. They aren't called "Korea's National Girl Group" for no reason you know? :p
  • DizagaoxDizagaox Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ennoea wrote: »
    Nope. SM didn't have the rights to it, that's why.

I read they did, from the songs producers. Nevermind!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't enjoy them - there is to much going on! Any group which has more than 5 members is not a group! They are a class.
  • Star_BrightStar_Bright Posts: 11,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're so cute.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    Cute video, but I prefer this cover of Mercy......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU12FrWWVqA
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member

To echo iamstrong SNSD are more popular. 2NE1 would probably be the number 2 in Korea. If you count Kara's sales in Japan which is a far bigger market they would be the number 2, arguably number 1 Korean girl group right now.

All of the Korean acts go after Japan as its about 10 times bigger in terms of potential earnings than Korea. Sadly 2NE1 have not made a dent there whilst SNSD and especially Kara have done.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love it and I love SNSD. Can't wait for their new album! : )
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Vemsie wrote: »
    To echo iamstrong SNSD are more popular. 2NE1 would probably be the number 2 in Korea. If you count Kara's sales in Japan which is a far bigger market they would be the number 2, arguably number 1 Korean girl group right now.

All of the Korean acts go after Japan as its about 10 times bigger in terms of potential earnings than Korea. Sadly 2NE1 have not made a dent there whilst SNSD and especially Kara have done.

Awh 2ne1 :-( who's the biggest boyband? *crosses fingers for bigbang*
    Forum Member
    Right now in Korea its BigBang. World-wide its TVXQ/DBSK. They have sold crazy numbers in Japan/rest of Asia.
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SNSD and Girls Generation are both silly-sounding names for the UK and US markets. They should rebrand themselves with something more catchy or perhaps pull one or two of the members out to aim at solo success as a promo before launching the group if they want to break into the West. 2NE1 have much more chance at breaking over here I think because there's not too many of them and their name isnt as strange - you could brand them easily.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Right now in Korea its BigBang. World-wide its TVXQ/DBSK. They have sold crazy numbers in Japan/rest of Asia.

Yeh tvxq is massive. Shame that the original group is still not together
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Yeh tvxq is massive. Shame that the original group is still not together

It is a shame but I actually prefer them as a duo tbh.
    Forum Member
    AdzPower wrote: »
    It is a shame but I actually prefer them as a duo tbh.

Of.course I still support both. But it'd be nice to see them back togetherbas well.

Anyway havebyou guys heard about double yoon debut in January?
    Forum Member
    I am not a huge 4minute fan so didn't even know they were debuting. Everything on K-Pop sites is getting buried under anything SNSD comeback right now tbh.

Regarding TVXQ its a shame them splitting but its probably done a world of good for a ton of Korean artists getting better record deals from now on. Thought their comeback might suck as well but Catch Me is one of the best K-Pop songs of the year imo. They have a seriously sick dance crew to make up for the lack of JYJ as well.
    Forum Member
    I am not a huge 4minute fan so didn't even know they were debuting. Everything on K-Pop sites is getting buried under anything SNSD comeback right now tbh.

Regarding TVXQ its a shame them splitting but its probably done a world of good for a ton of Korean artists getting better record deals from now on. Thought their comeback might suck as well but Catch Me is one of the best K-Pop songs of the year imo. They have a seriously sick dance crew to make up for the lack of JYJ as well.

Tell me about it. Every site is covering it. Tbh I don't like those kpop fans in general who go crazy about their favourite group and well, you know the rest. Read a huge number of posts from users critiscing and spreading rumours etc... just enjoy the music is my philosophy

And I agree, Catch me is awesome. I also love keep your head down as well. Especially the dancing.