Options

Athletics 2014

Comments

• Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just seen that Morgan Lake has declared for the HJ at the World Juniors! Seems she's recovered well after her Heptathlon exertions and fancies a second gold.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Should Alistair Brownlee try to qualify for the 10k as a back up.

Apparently he's around a minute slower than Mo but he's had to do a 1500m swim and 43k bike ride before his 10k run.

It could be a good invitational challenge :D
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GB girl's relay team at the World Juniors - nailed on medal, very likely gold. Rested various key runners for the semi and so of course put themselves under pressure and ended up dropping the baton on the 3/4 changeover

GB boy's relay team were also a decent medal prospect, but didn't do as well as the girls - dropped the baton on the 2/3 changeover.
  • Options
    Lunatic DreyfusLunatic Dreyfus Posts: 4,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Rhys has been on the 'special sauce' eh... His performances have been pretty poor for some time, maybe he's got desperate. Or just unlucky.
    GB girl's relay team at the World Juniors - nailed on medal, very likely gold. Rested various key runners for the semi and so of course put themselves under pressure and ended up dropping the baton on the 3/4 changeover

GB boy's relay team were also a decent medal prospect, but didn't do as well as the girls - dropped the baton on the 2/3 changeover.

Baton dropping/fumbling is an important skill for the juniors to learn. Next is getting injured just prior to a senior championship.
  • Options
    Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    Dafne Schippers has set a new NR of 6,78 metres at the long jump during the Dutch national championships this weekend (the previous record of 6,75 metres was 18 years old).
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    So Rhys has been on the 'special sauce' eh... His performances have been pretty poor for some time, maybe he's got desperate. Or just unlucky.
    I thought one of the organisations was looking in to supplements to see if they've added something on the banned list without knowing.
  • Options
    DahuDahu Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I thought one of the organisations was looking in to supplements to see if they've added something on the banned list without knowing.

I'm no expert but it seems to me I've heard this before. Usually as an excuse when a Brit fails a test. Never from real drugs eh, like what the other countries use.
  • Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dahu wrote: »
    I'm no expert but it seems to me I've heard this before. Usually as an excuse when a Brit fails a test. Never from real drugs eh, like what the other countries use.

Thing is athletes are responsible for what goes into their body so they have to be super vigilant when their reputation & career is at stake. No sympathy from me.
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    Thing is athletes are responsible for what goes into their body so they have to be super vigilant when their reputation & career is at stake. No sympathy from me.
    I read that the Mountain Fuel supplement wasn't on the approved tested products list so it was a very bad mistake for the Welsh to make. Mountain Fuel are testing but reckon their products are not contaminated and would meet the doping regs. If they have screwed up it's going to be corporate suicide. Will be interested to see how it pans out.
  • Options
    Edward_SloleyEdward_Sloley Posts: 10,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Epic men's pole vault competition in the WJC last night. Women's 400mH final was also pretty good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Epic men's pole vault competition in the WJC last night. Women's 400mH final was also pretty good.
    Yes. The hurdler Little looks like the coming force.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Michelle-Lee Ahye did not look her best in the heats of the 100m in Glasgow. Looks like the way she pulled up in Lucerne was more than just cramp. A shame.

Edit. Is there a track & field thread for the Commonwealth Games? :confused: (similar to the one we used for the Olympics) I can't find one. Assume there is one, as this thread seems bereft as far as Glasgow is concerned. I have seen the Daily Chat thread, but that's full of posts about all sorts. Is that the thread to use?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Michelle-Lee Ahye did not look her best in the heats of the 100m in Glasgow. Looks like the way she pulled up in Lucerne was more than just cramp. A shame.

Edit. Is there a track & field thread for the Commonwealth Games? :confused: (similar to the one we used for the Olympics) I can't find one. Assume there is one, as this thread seems bereft as far as Glasgow is concerned. I have seen the Daily Chat thread, but that's full of posts about all sorts. Is that the thread to use?
    I don't think there's a demand for a track and field thread in the CWG forum. So I'll sometimes post here if there's' something of great interest that goes beyond the games.

I posted elsewhere that I thought Cabel Ndiku looked very formidable in the 5000m as well as a but of a character. Mo was right not to race if not fit. Ndiku is clearly the future of the 1500m & 5000m events.
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Baton dropping/fumbling is an important skill for the juniors to learn. Next is getting injured just prior to a senior championship.

We must be by far the worse and relays, you would have thought by now they would work out that chopping and changing a team is not a good idea.

The idea of resting athletes is ok for the 4x400 only.
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    Just seen that Morgan Lake has declared for the HJ at the World Juniors! Seems she's recovered well after her Heptathlon exertions and fancies a second gold.

And she takes the Gold as well - well done Morgan
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What an awesome champs she's had - our MVP for sure, and I think the only double world junior champion of 2014 if you exclude the relays.

That's her third 1.93m+ jump of the season, which means she's demonstrated some consistency. Silver went to a 16-year old Czech who jumped a NJR of 1.91m - not only impressive in its own right, but also 1cm higher than Lake herself jumped last year!

I wonder what the outcome would have been if Eleanor Patterson (18-year old Aussie who jumped 1.96m last year and 1.94m this year) competed in Eugene - she'll be one of the favourites in Glasgow instead. Oh the irony!
  • Options
    ali1234ali1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michelle-Lee Ahye pulled out. She confirmed last night on twitter. Any predictions for the women's 100m based on that news? I think Okagbare will get the double. However she's always failed to perform in championship finals with the exception of the Moscow 200m where she got bronze. If Okagbare fails once more it really could be a Jamaican clean sweep. But Okagbare runs a similar race to Kerron Stewart - poor start and train-like finish and I think Okagbare looks the better of the two right now. Or how about the men's? If Ashmeade and Thompson aren't fit then it could be between Gemili, Bledman and Bailey-Cole. I'd love to see Gemili step up. He can.

Rooney looked good in the 400m heats. He should reach the final. The trinidadians are looking strong though. I'd say they're the 4x400m relay gold medallists based on what I saw this morning.

Women's 400m looks hot. Montsho will be looking to prevent a Jamaican clean sweep there.

Trust the BBC not to mention Morgan Lake.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the commentators will give her a mention during the women's high jump and heptathlon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ali1234 wrote: »
    Michelle-Lee Ahye pulled out. She confirmed last night on twitter.

No real surprise, I don't know how some of these athletes (add Yohan Blake to the list) expect us to believe they have cramp when it is obvious they have done a hamstring.
    I think the commentators will give her a mention during the women's high jump and heptathlon.

Hopefully and how about a mention for 'Dasher' during the woman's 100's tonight?
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    I don't think there's a demand for a track and field thread in the CWG forum. So I'll sometimes post here if there's' something of great interest that goes beyond the games.

I posted elsewhere that I thought Cabel Ndiku looked very formidable in the 5000m as well as a but of a character. Mo was right not to race if not fit. Ndiku is clearly the future of the 1500m & 5000m events.

Thanks for replying Mandark.

Good point about not being the demand.
    Agreed re, Ndiku as well.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,630
    Forum Member
    Do guide runners in para events have to be the same nationality as their charge?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You can always start one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the things I noticed in the WJC is that the Japanese have all of a sudden got a hot generation of male sprinters coming up.
  • Options
    Jo09Jo09 Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can always start one.

I'm pretty sure we had one 4 years ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Do guide runners in para events have to be the same nationality as their charge?

Nope, I don't think so, but naturally most will be to be able to train together. I take it you are referring to Mikail the brummie running with Libby Clegg, who despite being born in Cheshire competes for Scotland at the CG's?

In fact I remember some years back, before para sports were so well organised, that some good club level sprinters were drafted in to guide for some overseas competitors with only a few hours of practice together before the event started.:o

On a related subject, I wonder when we will get our first female guide runner in the sprints.