Options

Golf 2014

Comments

• Options
    detroitcitydetroitcity Posts: 4,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    It's not realised how difficult it is just to achieve even an even par 2 round score (which of course still misses the cut by a distance (apart from in the US Open and when it's very windy in the open)) after such a lengthy enforced layoff.

Where do you get this from?

If you shot even par over the first two days of any major or regular PGA event you would make the cut in roughly 85-90% of them. I think there's only been one event in the past year in the USA where the cut line has been higher than -1.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Tickets are now available to buy online for the 2014 Open Championship which ... (e.g. letter from school or golf club) for each child applying for a Junior ticket.
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tickets are now available to buy online for the 2014 Open Championship which ... (e.g. letter from school or golf club) for each child applying for a Junior ticket.

How horrendously expensive are they this year for an adult one.

I'm guessing 75 quid which is horrendous .

I am going to the scottish open next week where it's 30-35 which is maximum for me
  • Options
    davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Graeme McDowell will head into the Open Championship buoyed by his first ever successful title defence following a dramatic final round of the Alstom Open de France.

http://www.sportinglife.com/golf/live/1325/mcdowell-defends-french-crown/report

surprised he's never defended a title before
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Went to the scottish open today weather was hot as well.

However as I said 35quid to get in still pushing it, when you are walking and sitting on grassy hills a lot, didn't see enough of the big names as seemed to be on the wrong side of the course a lot and it was tiring walking around a big course in temps in the mid 70s

Pricing structure is still a bit bizarre for golf 25 even for pensioners yet 14 and under get in free
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    Went to the scottish open today weather was hot as well.

However as I said 35quid to get in still pushing it, when you are walking and sitting on grassy hills a lot, didn't see enough of the big names as seemed to be on the wrong side of the course a lot and it was tiring walking around a big course in temps in the mid 70s

Pricing structure is still a bit bizarre for golf 25 even for pensioners yet 14 and under get in free

Seems expensive. Is it the same price for all four days even though there's only half the field on days 3 and 4 ?

Incredible stats with Rory of day 1 against day 2. Seems to it every tournament
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    davethecue wrote: »
    Seems expensive. Is it the same price for all four days even though there's only half the field on days 3 and 4 ?

Incredible stats with Rory of day 1 against day 2. Seems to it every tournament

Yes 35 each day:o, there was an 80 season ticket bought in advance, yes Rory's Friday rounds have been a problem for some time now
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just me watching the Ladies Open then?

I must admit I enjoy Women's golf. I'm not always an agreer with Aliss, but I much prefer the swings in this game, because it's less about power, the swings are really old-skool all about rhythm and consistency rather than smashing the hide off the ball.

Pettersen must be fave here. Yet with all the par fives to finish, means everyone from about 5 back can still win it.
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A truly great second shot by Mo Martin, at the last, may win her the Tournament.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder what the lowest 2 ball aggregate score in a round is.

Gallagher and Jamieson knocked it round in -15 between them and had a better ball 58.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monty won the US Seniors Open last night to go along with his PGA Seniors title from a few weeks back.

He'll be shouting for a Ryder Cup wildcard soon. :)
  • Options
    croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange sort of tournament that Scottish Open. Royal Aberdeen is supposed to be one of the best links courses in the country yet it didn't really play like a true links test to me. Very little bump and runs into the greens were played and the ball was stopping almost instantly on the greens even to the point of spinning back quite a bit.

I wonder if the tour wanted it set up pretty easily the week before the open as it really should have been more of a test in these conditions ...
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just me watching the Ladies Open then?

I must admit I enjoy Women's golf. I'm not always an agree with Alliss, but I much prefer the swings in this game, because it's less about power, the swings are really old-skool all about rhythm and consistency rather than smashing the hide off the ball.

Pettersen must be fave here. Yet with all the par fives to finish, means everyone from about 5 back can still win it.

You can learn a lot from watching the women. (Not just the latest fashions of Paula Creamer and at one time, Natalie Gulbis who hasn't competed in this competition for two years)

Off the tee it's all about club head speed and timing.
    It's the way a five-foot women weighing around a hundred pounds, can out-drive the average club golfer.

I play three times a week (if it isn't raining) but I will watch it on TV, (only BBC, I don't have Sky sports) .
    It's the sort of sport you can watch over a newspaper, as you don't need to concentrate all the time as you can hear what's happening and look up at "the right moment."

Alliss is always knowledgeable and entertaining. He banged on about the rakes being out of bunkers at Birkdale, but he was right, it's a daft idea.
    He's often on about club numbering. His joke is that with the modern players' clubs, a "seven" would have been numbered "five" in his day.

Two remarks I found memorable this week. The camera panned across the bag of one of the Oriental competitors, which had several matching fairway wood covers visible.
    "That's an impressive bag of spanners," he remarked.
    Again when one competitor took a rather large divot out of a fairway, "That's big enough for the harvest festival."

But my favourite all-time remark was years ago when before the open, Ken Brown was walking part of the course with Steve Rider (a hack golfer) and Rider trying to give viewers the idea that he knew the game well, turned to Ken and said:

"For the benefit of the average club golfer, Ken, can you explain to them the best way of getting a ball up out of a fairway divot?"

Ken gave him an old-fashioned look and replied; "Well, I find it's best if you just nudge it with your foot."
    Rider looked suitable embarrassed.

I hope he gets Alliss's job when it gets too much for him. Though I can't see that happening any time soon, as I think he has a rolling contract with the BBC.
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    How horrendously expensive are they this year for an adult one.

I'm guessing 75 quid which is horrendous .

I am going to the scottish open next week where it's 30-35 which is maximum for me

The Open ticket prices have been £75 for a couple of years, although under 16 get in free as long as an adult is with them, so i don't think they'll have similar attendances as they had in 2006, a couple of my mates who would have gone had the prices been lower aren't bothering going this year, although i'm going & i'm lucky for me it's only 4 stops on the train so don't have to spend too much getting there.

The weather forecast doesn't look good from Friday onwards
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Open ticket prices have been £75 for a couple of years, although under 16 get in free as long as an adult is with them, so i don't think they'll have similar attendances as they had in 2006, a couple of my mates who would have gone had the prices been lower aren't bothering going this year, although i'm going & i'm lucky for me it's only 4 stops on the train so don't have to spend too much getting there.

The weather forecast doesn't look good from Friday onwards

Last time it was at Hoylake the locals got loads of free tickets, I've got family who live there and they all got in for free for 1 day. Not sure if it's the case this time.
  • Options
    dean michaeldean michael Posts: 29,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you fancy doing the Comp for the Open. Details are below.

2014 Golf : The Open Championship Prediction Comp (Starts July 17th)

To join the Comp please go to

http://v3.prediction-game.com

League Name : 2014 BRITISH OPEN
    Registration key: WEQPFRVAFZ

Please give details of your username for the site if you decide to play
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monty won the US Seniors Open last night to go along with his PGA Seniors title from a few weeks back.

Great effort by Monty winning in the play off. 4 shots down at the start of the final round as well
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The seniors majors courses play at the same length as the main tour majors held at the same venues?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    The seniors majors courses play at the same length as the main tour majors held at the same venues?

I just had a quick look at last years Senior Open at Birkdale. Mark Wiebe won it on -9. When it last held the Open Padraig Harrington won with +3.

The course was virtually the same length but the course wouldn't be tricked up anywhere near the same for the Seniors. Watching the final rounds of the US Seniors last night you could see that all the pins were pretty much middle of green and accessible, not what you would usually get in a regular major.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just had a quick look at last years Senior Open at Birkdale. Mark Wiebe won it on -9. When it last held the Open Padraig Harrington won with +3.

The course was virtually the same length but the course wouldn't be tricked up anywhere near the same for the Seniors. Watching the final rounds of the US Seniors last night you could see that all the pins were pretty much middle of green and accessible, not what you would usually get in a regular major.

Exactly!

The public come to see their "heroes" play well at these events, not to struggle.
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member

One other major factor not accounted for is the weather, 2008 Open especially on the Thursday the weather was horrendous , the first round was played in gale force winds & rain, the wind was that bad that the 6th hole the players couldn't even reach the beginning of the fairway which is 200 yards from the tee, the rest of the tournament was windy[10-20mph] which affected the scores.
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm all ready for this a lazy few days coming :)

Cheering Tiger for a major come on.
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    greens look really lush this morning , very "un-links" like , wonder if they have left a little extra grass on them and been watering them a bit more with the prospect of a hot weekend
  • Options
    Forum Member
    back to back bogeys for tiger to start

Sergio made a good start tho , 2 birdies in the first 4
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sergio goes to -3 after 5 , playing with fowler who is also a couple under

this would be a good group to follow with luke Donald being the third member