More regional output on BBC 3CR

the albionthe albion Posts: 506
Forum Member
✭✭
BBC 3CR already have regional output at 7.00 every evening and at 4.00 every morning as well as Sunday afternoons. Now Saturday mornings are to be joint too. It is getting to the stage where they might as well give up on local stations and just have regional ones.

Comments

• tom_htom_h Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    In an interview with The Telegraph the managing editor Laura Moss openly admits the budget is tight. She doesn't want a four hour drivetime show but the budget won't allow for another show.

I don't understand why the Eastern Counties start at 4am anyway when Manchester and WM start at 5am and there is very little they can do about the evening show as that is forced upon all BBC Local stations.

I'm guessing that the Saturday mornings will be shared with Northampton. An odd time to network but perhaps there aren't a lot of listeners at that time of the morning?

EDIT: Northampton's 9-12 Saturday show is with JVS from BBC 3CR, although it's one of those 'treasure/people/place' finder shows, so I can't see how that would work over two stations?
  • MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    tom_h wrote: »
    In an interview with The Telegraph the managing editor Laura Moss openly admits the budget is tight. She doesn't want a four hour drivetime show but the budget won't allow for another show.

I don't understand why the Eastern Counties start at 4am anyway when Manchester and WM start at 5am and there is very little they can do about the evening show as that is forced upon all BBC Local stations.

I'm guessing that the Saturday mornings will be shared with Northampton. An odd time to network but perhaps there aren't a lot of listeners at that time of the morning?

EDIT: Northampton's 9-12 Saturday show is with JVS from BBC 3CR, although it's one of those 'treasure/people/place' finder shows, so I can't see how that would work over two stations?

Is Justin Dealey's music show going to be the one that's networked, Bernie Keith sat in for him this morning. As you say Treasure Quest wouldn't work, Three Counties have their own on Sunday 9-12 anyway.

Edit: Checked 3CR Facebook and to answer my own question Justin's show is moving to a later slot, and reduced to 2 hours, the time would suit me better as am usually out Saturday mornings. Nothing on there as to other weekend changes.
  • Mrs MillsMrs Mills Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Treasure Quest to move to Saturday morning and will be a joint affair.
  • paulx23paulx23 Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Mills wrote: »
    Treasure Quest to move to Saturday morning and will be a joint affair.
    They did a joint Treasure Quest between 3CR and Northants a few months ago as a Bank Holiday special.
    Probably testing the waters back then to see if it would all work out.
  • radioviewerradioviewer Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't the reason why the Eastern Counties have an early breakfast show at 4am due to the farming and other countryside audience? I'm sure I read that somewhere.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How would the radio car work if it was a joint Treasure Hunt?

Would it be one week in one area & the other week in the other area or how good is the radio car signal from the extreme of one station area back to the studios of the other area?

(If you understand what I mean! )
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sometime back the fear was Radio Northamptons studio building was that bad it would see Radio Northampton broadcast from Luton.
    In some ways a BBC 4 Counties would be OTT, but with a combined population of over 2.5m, would not be extreme.
    As for 4am start, many commuters are on the road by 6am, as are shift workers.
    However on DAB I can hear Northants Cricket, a full blown merger may not go well for that sport. Don't think many outside Northants would want cricket over Mark Forrest.
    BBC 4CR and 4CR extra for sport??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »

Would it be one week in one area & the other week in the other area or how good is the radio car signal from the extreme of one station area back to the studios of the other area?

2 radio cars - it is the first to find the treasure.
  • Casey B SeeCasey B See Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    What about Sunday mornings. Will Justin Deeley go out on both stations then, or will they continue to broadcast separately?
  • MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    What about Sunday mornings. Will Justin Deeley go out on both stations then, or will they continue to broadcast separately?

Just checked Radio Times, Justin's show has been moved to 12 till 2 Saturdays.

Sundays change to Tony Blackburn 9 to 11, Nick Coffer 11 to 1, Shrink Wrapped cut to an hour.
  • Casey B SeeCasey B See Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    Tony Blackburn??? Didn't see that one coming, I must say. How about Radio Northampton. Any sign that Paul Gadsby is still doing his show?
  • AllBranAllBran Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    Westy2 wrote: »

BBC Local Radio radiocar receivers tend to be placed at sites across a TSA - and then the studio dials into the ISDN box that's attached to that receiver site. It means that say Radio 4's reporter can't find a satellite, but for example Radio Merseyside's radiocar has got a signal, Radio 4 can dial Radio Merseyside's ISDN number and get quality audio from their reporter, while his producer kicks the M4 sat kit...
  • AlanOAlanO Posts: 3,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tom_h wrote: »

I can't believe 3CR has a smaller budget than Northampton, yet Northampton runs a daytime schedule of:

9-12 Bernie Keith
    12-2 Helen Blaby
    2-4 John Griff
    4-7 Drivetime

Surely 3CR could do that?
  • AlanOAlanO Posts: 3,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometime back the fear was Radio Northamptons studio building was that bad it would see Radio Northampton broadcast from Luton.
    In some ways a BBC 4 Counties would be OTT, but with a combined population of over 2.5m, would not be extreme.
    As for 4am start, many commuters are on the road by 6am, as are shift workers.
    However on DAB I can hear Northants Cricket, a full blown merger may not go well for that sport. Don't think many outside Northants would want cricket over Mark Forrest.
    BBC 4CR and 4CR extra for sport??

No thanks - given I grew up in 3CRs area and now live in Northants, I have no interest in what's happening in High Wycombe, Stevenage or Watford - which is what we'd get. Or worse still, wall to wall coverage of MK.

If Northants were to align with any other area, I'd rather it was Cambs, Leics or Warks.
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Justin 12 - 2pm? Come September will it be change again?

BBC 3CR Sport covers, now five football league teams.
    MK Dons, Wycombe, Luton. Stevenage, Watford.
    Can guess a few early kick offs.
  • paulx23paulx23 Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AlanO wrote: »
    I can't believe 3CR has a smaller budget than Northampton, yet Northampton runs a daytime schedule of:

9-12 Bernie Keith
    12-2 Helen Blaby
    2-4 John Griff
    4-7 Drivetime

Surely 3CR could do that?
    No disrespect to the above but I would imagine the likes of Iain Lee and Jonathan Vernon-Smith come with a slightly higher price tag than them.
  • kevthelutonbeekevthelutonbee Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulx23 wrote: »
    They did a joint Treasure Quest between 3CR and Northants a few months ago as a Bank Holiday special.
    Probably testing the waters back then to see if it would all work out.

Listened on Saturday. For me it was a shambles

No listener contestants in the studio
    Part 1 of the clue and Part 2 of the clue and you can't open part 2 until "Les" says so
    "Les" just seems to be a radio rip off of the Banker on DOND to me

And for those reasons I'm out
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member

Part 1 of the clue and Part 2 of the clue and you can't open part 2 until "Les" says so

It confused me no end. The two clue hunters seemed to just ramble on in the background and the host just rambled on in the foreground. Just sounded really disjointed to me.

I also tuned into Tony Blackburn on Sunday. Quite obviously pre-recorded due to no phone number being given out and only his twitter details given to contact the show.

He just sounds flat when he's not live. There was zero local content either which is pretty poor for that time of day on a BBC local IMHO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agree. The format has worked well with just one radio car but with 2 it's a shambles
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Changi wrote: »
    It confused me no end. The two clue hunters seemed to just ramble on in the background and the host just rambled on in the foreground. Just sounded really disjointed to me.

I also tuned into Tony Blackburn on Sunday. Quite obviously pre-recorded due to no phone number being given out and only his twitter details given to contact the show.

He just sounds flat when he's not live. There was zero local content either which is pretty poor for that time of day on a BBC local IMHO.

Agree - with 3 people rambling on together it is too confusing. Also putting a national DJ on a Sunday morning pre-recorded is pathetic.
  • radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulx23 wrote: »
    No disrespect to the above but I would imagine the likes of Iain Lee and Jonathan Vernon-Smith come with a slightly higher price tag than them.

Agreed, both have done National work in the past for BBC and in Iain's case commercial radio so i would imagine the show fee would be quite a fair bit higher. The same in that Nolans would also be a fair bit higher than most BBC Local/Regional jocks.