Collections at work

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,274
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Do you just do them for big events like retirements or people leaving or do you have collections for significant birthdays, people transferring to a different part of the organisation, new babies and so on?

Comments

• molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you just do them for big events like retirements or people leaving or do you have collections for significant birthdays, people transferring to a different part of the organisation, new babies and so on?

We don't do them at all, since a lady was leaving because she was going to die then turned up at another company months later it was decided we had all put enough into collections and would stop as some people were getting several special occasions a year and others nothing at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    We don't do them at all, since a lady was leaving because she was going to die then turned up at another company months later it was decided we had all put enough into collections and would stop as some people were getting several special occasions a year and others nothing at all.

That is unbelievable.
  • MrYogiKarmaMrYogiKarma Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind the office chugger as long as it doesn't happen too often.

However in one Company it became a weekly event with one woman. Most of it was for her kids schools. What annoyed me even more was the fact that she was very wealthy whilst the people she chugged off (including me) weren't that well off.
    She was the bitchiest, nastiest person I've ever met, yet gave off the air of Mother Teresa since she did a lot of 'charity work'

People should only be allowed to pin charity sponsor sheets to the office pin board and not go around every individual making them feel pressured into giving as some don't have it to ive and makes them look bad.

Collections for people leaving are ok. Most just send an envelope around.
    Only one place used to do birthdays.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have them for people leaving and new babies etc. I generally just give a couple of quid as that's all I can afford
  • QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »

This reminds me of a collection we did once. This lady had worked at the same JOB for 35 years and was due to retire. There were about 400 people working at the company at the time and most people contributed. Over £300 was raised which was quite nice and we decided to get some flowers and give her the money as we didn't know what to get her and she was going to go to India to see her family so thought she could put the money towards that.

The week she was due to retire, she changed her mind and asked to stay on! Management agreed, which really wasn't a problem. Only we had all this money and didn't know what to do with it as we had no record of who had put in. We asked around as to what we should do. It was agreed we'd still give her the money on the condition that when she DID finally retire we wouldn't be doing anything.
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member

However in one Company it became a weekly event with one woman. Most of it was for her kids schools. What annoyed me even more was the fact that she was very wealthy whilst the people she chugged off (including me) weren't that well off.
    She was the bitchiest, nastiest person I've ever met, yet gave off the air of Mother Teresa since she did a lot of 'charity work'

People should only be allowed to pin charity sponsor sheets to the office pin board and not go around every individual making them feel pressured into giving as some don't have it to ive and makes them look bad.

Sounds like Geordie Georgie!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree. Like those bag packers in supermarkets who are right in your face and put the onus on you to say 'no'. That always irritates me. Why not leave a few check outs 'packer free'.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. Like those bag packers in supermarkets who are right in your face and put the onus on you to say 'no'. That always irritates me. Why not leave a few check outs 'packer free'.

In all my shopping trips I have never seen these fabled packers - perhaps they don't work at the time I shop so to avoid them try 4am shopping !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have them for people leaving and new babies etc. I generally just give a couple of quid as that's all I can afford

Same here. I have worked in other offices where people put a set amount in the kitty and sign they have done so which I thought was unfair because if you couldn't afford said amount you looked mean. I don't like people wandering around the office collecting with their tins as I've always thought they should announce it and then leave it in one place (say reception) and let people choose to put in money if they want.
  • trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our place is that unfriendly and self-centred that I can't remember there ever having been a collection for anyone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where I work now there's a general kitty and everyone contributes a small manageable amount at the start of the year and that's used to buy flowers for new babies or wreaths for funerals. For significant birthdays we just have cakes no present and for people leaving there is a collection.

Where I used to work there seemed to be collections every day of the week for someone's 30th birthday or someone moving from one Dept to another etc etc. It did get a bit annoying sometimes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where I work now there's a general kitty and everyone contributes a small manageable amount at the start of the year and that's used to buy flowers for new babies or wreaths for funerals. For significant birthdays we just have cakes no present and for people leaving there is a collection.

Where I used to work there seemed to be collections every day of the week for someone's 30th birthday or someone moving from one Dept to another etc etc. It did get a bit annoying sometimes.

BIB I bet expensive as well! Maybe now with money being tight for most, people will reconsider all of these collections for just about everything and just collect for leaving dos or new babies. The more staff, the more collections.

Talking of leaving dos. Has anyone ever given towards a collection only for that person to quit their new job and come back only a few months later? The least they could do is offer to buy a round of drinks but no, nothing! :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QuirkyGirl wrote: »
    BIB I bet expensive as well! Maybe now with money being tight for most, people will reconsider all of these collections for just about everything and just collect for leaving dos or new babies. The more staff, the more collections.

Talking of leaving dos. Has anyone ever given towards a collection only for that person to quit their new job and come back only a few months later? The least they could do is offer to buy a round of drinks but no, nothing! :rolleyes:

Yep. I remember a guy left and we bought him a present and brought him out for lunch and spent ages compiling a funny scrapbook about him. He was back within six months. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's enough to put you off isn't it? But then genuine leavers will miss out if people just stop doing collections. Personally, I think the powers that be should decide whether they want to continue collections or ban them, starting with the New Year so everyone knows where they stand. Sorry to sound grumpy but it really can be expensive and if they were not a nice colleague (or person) it makes it even worse parting with your money.