Taking Shoes Off When Entering A Home

12346»

Comments

• Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cream carpet through-out = no shoes

If you don't like it, then don't come round!

(also make sure you wear clean socks as my baby has developed a foot fetish and likes to lick feet :eek:)
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cream carpet through-out = no shoes

If you don't like it, then don't come round!
    (also make sure you wear clean socks as my baby has developed a foot fetish and likes to lick feet :eek:)

OK, I won't.

It's easy, really. If your shoes/wellies are muddy, take them off.

Otherwise, leave them on.

Anyone in normal circumstances who asks me to take off my shoes in their normal house is either very rude/obsessed with cleanliness to an unhealthy degree/ridiculous, or all three.

They may think guests are OK with it, because they politely go along with it, but they actually get laughed at behind their backs in my experience. Remarks about Hyacinth Bucket and cream carpets are a rich source of amusement.

If the person asking has animals, especially dogs, it's adding insult to injury - especially when they then let their dog slobber all over you.

As for a guest taking their shoes off - why? Very odd - they wouldn't get asked back.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's easy, really. If your shoes/willies are muddy, take them off.
    I'm really curious what kind of house you are running now :D
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    I'm really curious what kind of house you are running now :D

LOL I've edited it. :D

(Freudian slip? :o)
  • Options
    jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If its wooden floors then I'd keep shoes on, carpet then shoes off.

I'd say other way round :). Have wooden floors, and shoes left at door. It is fun though when just polished.
  • Options
    blumeblume Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    It's always been a shoes off policy in our family. We do provide guests with house slipper/disposable clean socks and I've continued with this 'tradition' as a tenant. One less daily household chores to do :D.

My only gripe is when visiting friends home. They expect their visitors to remove their shoes (which I've no problem doing it) but are lazy when visiting other people's houses. I also bring with me for emergency purposes Scholl Party Feet pocket ballerina as some of their floors are very grubby. I don't mind clutter but poor hygiene puts me off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    I run around in shoes from the minute I am showered and dressed until the minute I go for a bath at bedtime. Some of the girls run around at work in their socks. It just makes me cringe. I hate having my feet left vulnerable to doors, lego etc.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its their home so if they ask you to then you should or else don't go in. I remember my wife asking the bloke who came to read the electriciy meter to and he said he wasn't allowed to for health and safety reason, she told him well my health and saftey rules mean you aren't coming in, I'll read the meter for you.
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just use my common sense when I go round someone's house, if it's clean and they aren't wearing shoes I just take mine off as I go in. If on the other hand the house is a bit mucky, they have pets or they are wearing shoes, I keep mine on unless they say otherwise.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    Its their home so if they ask you to then you should or else don't go in. I remember my wife asking the bloke who came to read the electriciy meter to and he said he wasn't allowed to for health and safety reason, she told him well my health and saftey rules mean you aren't coming in, I'll read the meter for you.

Is she called Hyacinth?:D
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    jmclaugh wrote: »

I bet he whispered "What a t**t" under his breath as he left.
  • Options
    KorkyTheCatKorkyTheCat Posts: 24,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    I initially misread the thread title as '...when entering a woman'! My brain!

Well.....do you? :confused:
  • Options
    deev1ne0nedeev1ne0ne Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    I bet he whispered "What a t**t" under his breath as he left.

:D Hopefully he added a few thousand units on to the reading as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Hope he takes his socks off too, shudder!! :D
  • Options
    KorkyTheCatKorkyTheCat Posts: 24,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avasgranny wrote: »
    Hope he takes his socks off too, shudder!! :D

But he can leave his hat on.....!!! ;):cool::p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But he can leave his hat on.....!!! ;):cool::p

Don't think this is the right thread for talking about condoms. :eek::o:D
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dosanjh1 wrote: »
    People who wear their outdoor shoes indoors tend live in dirty, squalid houses with no care for its appearance or the hygiene of the occupants or visitors.

Paranoid and insulting much?
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Yes, and/or to make full use of my boot scraper and doormats.

That' why they were invented.
    I feel the total opposite - Can't believe some people, why is their damned carpet more important than the comfort of their guests?

So 'mememe' - so 'oooh my carpet's so lovely, expensive too'. Don't want any marks on it.'

I think it's rude - guests comfort first, a carpet can be cleaned.

And if your carpet is too good to walk on, don't have guests - they might even spill something:eek:

This - it's incredibly rude to tell people to take their shoes off or else,as your home and precious carpets are more important then their shod company. Besides, bare feet all over the place? No thanks. If there was a very good reason, not just 'you're making my house dirty' I'd take mine off but I probably wouldn't go back there again.
  • Options
    trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We always take ours off in the hallway, but we don't expect visitors to do the same.

I always ask when visiting someones house for the first time and I don't mind in the slightest if they say yes to taking my shoes off.....it's their house after all. Although I have a pair of thigh high Doc Martens that are an absolute bugger for putting on and taking off...on the odd occasion I've visited someone while wearing them I've politely made it clear I'm not coming in if I have to remove them.
  • Options
    mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you do when you have a tradesman working in your home, e.g. plumber, electrician? Do you ask them to take their shoes off too?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have/would never enter someone's house without asking if they want me to taken shoes off, but I suppose that's because I grew up in a no-shoes house

Sorry to hear that. You must have been a very very poor family..:cry::cry:
  • Options
    quatroquatro Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was brought up to believe it was very rude to ask visitors to remove their shoes, and I do not expect anyone to do so in my place unless obviously very muddy. I would like people to feel comfortable in my home.
    My house is very clean btw, it has white painted wooden floors throughout, very fresh looking and practical, which I regularly wipe down, it takes 2-3 minutes to do a room.

I would certainly not want people in my house with sweaty or dirty socks, or to see their bare feet. Nor would I want cats backsides sitting on my floor/worktops, to me that is far more gross.

Carpets are dirty things, they harbour far more dirt and grime than you think, whether your shoes are off or on.