Sky sign new 5 year deal with HBO

2»

Comments

• muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITN Source wrote: »
    Does HBO really that much if they offer the highest bid?

Do Netflix have any rights to HBO content in the US?
    No they don't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, HBO have their own service HBO Go. The only thing I can think of is Rome in the UK as it was a co-production with the BBC who must hold distribution rights in the UK.

Thanks for the info! ;-)

Doe it have archive content?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    HBO don't own the rights to all of it's content, so some of the big stuff remains conspicuously absent.

Sex and the City, Deadwood and some others were co-produced by another company and are now owned by Paramount internationally so won't be covered in the deal.

The recent Chris Lilley series are co-produced by ABC (AU) and HBO, but BBC Three has always managed to secure a pre-buy (presumably through it's relation with the ABC), so Sky is unlikely to get those...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HBO don't own the rights to all of it's content, so some of the big stuff remains conspicuously absent.

Sex and the City, Deadwood and some others were co-produced by another company and are now owned by Paramount internationally so won't be covered in the deal.

Deadwood was co-produced with CBS Television Studios and thus they hold all the relevent rights.

But for some reason Sex and the City distribution rights outside North America (held by WB/HBO) are held by CBS/Paramount despite neither party having anything to do with making the show...
  • MadsocksMadsocks Posts: 3,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello Ladies was HBO and that has recently been shown on Sky Atlantic.
  • PlektrumPlektrum Posts: 1,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does HBO really that much if they offer the highest bid?

Do Netflix have any rights to HBO content in the US?

I think they may not have minded until recently but as Netflix are now positioning themselves as a rival distributor of premium content, that would have a considerable bearing.

Also considering the power & perception of brands, HBO licensing content to Netflix would effectively make people think Netflix has 'won' and would probably hurt how HBO is perceived. The brand right now is big enough as it is that a Netflix partnership is of no benefit to them.

Also I think Netflix is busy enough developing their own brand & identity that a HBO deal isn't in their interest considering all the moves they're making with original content.
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess the reason Oz hasn't been on is because CBS own he rights don't they? I got the DVDs recently and it said it was distributed by CBS
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Just to clear up any questions or confusion, HBO shows have never been on Netflix, and never will: HBO executives refuse to deal with Netflix because they say there is not much point in people paying $15 a month for an HBO subscription if they can just watch HBO shows on Netflix for Netflix's $6 per month subscription fee.
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    That's the article I read. "Masterpiece" is a PBS thing.
    OK, I misread your previous post. I thought you were saying that BBC were no longer involved!

K
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    DarthFader wrote: »
    I guess the reason Oz hasn't been on is because CBS own he rights don't they? I got the DVDs recently and it said it was distributed by CBS

It was produced by Viacom + The Levinson/Fontana Company with distribution by CBS Studios International.
    But if Sky wanted it, they could acquire the rights, same as the new show mentioned thats being produced by WB, if Sky want it, they will go for it.

But i cannot help but think that Sky Atlantic commercial-break free would make this a better deal... Even just break-free during a show.
    GoT with ad's in it wrecks its flow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plektrum wrote: »
    I think they may not have minded until recently but as Netflix are now positioning themselves as a rival distributor of premium content, that would have a considerable bearing.

Also considering the power & perception of brands, HBO licensing content to Netflix would effectively make people think Netflix has 'won' and would probably hurt how HBO is perceived. The brand right now is big enough as it is that a Netflix partnership is of no benefit to them.

Also I think Netflix is busy enough developing their own brand & identity that a HBO deal isn't in their interest considering all the moves they're making with original content.

Thanks for the information! ;-)

Could Sky do a similar deal with lets say CBS for example?
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could Sky do a similar deal with lets say CBS for example?

In theory, yes. But any such deal would only include CBS productions and not all programmes on CBS (as some are made by Warner Bros etc.). I’m not sure if it would be something Sky would be interested in though as the HBO deal was based on the fact its well known for ‘high quality’ productions, which the likes of CBS productions or ABC Studios aren’t necessarily known for. And obviously the deal would have to be of worthwhile to CBS productions as they currently make a lot of money selling each individual programme to different broadcasters.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    In theory, yes. But any such deal would only include CBS productions and not all programmes on CBS (as some are made by Warner Bros etc.). I’m not sure if it would be something Sky would be interested in though as the HBO deal was based on the fact its well known for ‘high quality’ productions, which the likes of CBS productions or ABC Studios aren’t necessarily known for. And obviously the deal would have to be of worthwhile to CBS productions as they currently make a lot of money selling each individual programme to different broadcasters.

Well Sky already boradcast a fair number of CBS shows including some for Sky Atlantic. For shows considered "not good enough" for SA, they can show it on Sky Living and One insted...

Maybe they can also do deals with the likes of WB as well...
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to clear up any questions or confusion, HBO shows have never been on Netflix, and never will: HBO executives refuse to deal with Netflix because they say there is not much point in people paying $15 a month for an HBO subscription if they can just watch HBO shows on Netflix for Netflix's $6 per month subscription fee.
    It's funny though that CBS obviously disagree because many their Showtime shows are on Netflix. I would say that Showtime is a similar service to HBO. Also HBO's protectionism is the reason why their shows are so highly torrented.
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    It's funny though that CBS obviously disagree because many their Showtime shows are on Netflix. I would say that Showtime is a similar service to HBO.

You have touched on the difference yourself by mentioning CBS. HBO produces almost all of their shows "in house." HBO's executives can decide what companies they will sell their content to, and they care very much if they think a sale will hurt their subscriber base. Showtime doesn't make its own shows "in house." They license shows made by other companies (like CBS, which owns Showtime), and those companies own the shows and decide what companies to sell to. Those companies' execs have other considerations in mind than what is best for Showtime's number of subscriptions.
    Forum Member
    You have touched on the difference yourself by mentioning CBS. HBO produces almost all of their shows "in house." HBO's executives can decide what companies they will sell their content to, and they care very much if they think a sale will hurt their subscriber base. Showtime doesn't make its own shows "in house." They license shows made by other companies (like CBS, which owns Showtime), and those companies own the shows and decide what companies to sell to. Those companies' execs have other considerations in mind than what is best for Showtime's number of subscriptions.

Showtime does make some shows themselves and have signaled they will be doing more themselves through Showtime originals, but you're correct, the difference between HBO & Showtime on a production level is HBO produce or retain distribution rights themselves, Showtime doesn't on a HBO scale.
  • lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    bit of a laugh since murdoch now owns hbo ...... not to mention direcTV .......

Erm Warner Brothers owns HBO my friend. And Direct TV is no longer a part of News Corp!
  • wildphantom!wildphantom! Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky have added back The Wire 1-5 this morning, no note of the expiry date, hopefully it's longer than a month!
    Forum Member
    Sky have added back The Wire 1-5 this morning, no note of the expiry date, hopefully it's longer than a month!

Only ever watched series 1 & 2. Might give the rest a watch, thanks for the heads up :)
  • mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member

S1 says it expires 31/1/2018
    S2-5 say they expire 30/4/2014
  • wildphantom!wildphantom! Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mersey70 wrote: »
    S1 says it expires 31/1/2018
    S2-5 say they expire 30/4/2014

Cheers! Looks like I'll be able to finish it now.