Samsung Smart TV & BBC iPlayer

Comments

• GwyndyGwyndy Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    Thanks gwyndy looks very promising might take the plunge and buy the tv ive had my eye on ue46f6320 will just wait for another post from you to see if the lip sync issue is fully resolved please keep us all informed ,your comments and dedication to keeping us fully upto date are greatly appreciated.Just out curiosity are there any problems with the other catch up services with itv,ch4 and ch5.

On a fairly short (20 minutes or so) trial 4OD and Demand 5 are working OK with no lip sync issues. BBC iPlayer and ITV Player are both still fine.

Can I suggest that if you are contemplating buying a Samsung Smart TV, and assuming that you are purchasing from a retailer rather than on line, you insist on seeing a demo of the catch up services. But, of course, make sure that the set has the latest firmware update.

Indeed, a rollback option might eliminate a few things, or an ability to download old firmware versions via a PC then flash drive them to the TV – but I expect the TV would reject anything older than it has installed? I’m wondering whether to try the v1118.2 firmware install via a flash drive as the update my TV performed states it’s v1118 – but maybe it’s actually the same version? Having said all that, I’m beginning to think it’s not a firmware issue after all but actually a wireless issue? It’s a pity there’s no way of checking the TV’s wireless reception in detail and real time (quality, bandwidth, etc., etc.), especially during a freeze. All I can access is whether I have a connection (or not) and even that has no log, which could show any hiccups. Great, I’m aware I have a basic connection; otherwise I’d have no reception at all!

On my UE32F5500 set the firmware version is displayed as 1118.2. I have done all my recent firmware upgrades via download to PC and transfer to the TV using a USB memory stick.

Can you get the TV close enough to your router to try a direct ethernet connection? If so, and the catch-up services work OK, then this would suggest that it is indeed the wireless reception to the set that is 'dodgy'.

You could also try opening the web browser on the TV and running a speed test - e.g. www.speedtest.net - and see what result this produces. It's interesting that since the last firmware update the download speed recorded using this method on my set has jumped from around 8Mbps to 23Mbps. (The maximum that I can achieve on my PCs with a direct connection is ~38Mbps and ~32Mbps via a wireless connection.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    yeah i will think it will be from richer sounds there very compettitve with price when been in the shop though they only seem to have the top end on display but if im going to part with my well earned money going to insist after all these problems with samsung such a shame none of the other major companies have full catch up otherwise id have looked at them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Gwyndy wrote: »
    On a fairly short (20 minutes or so) trial 4OD and Demand 5 are working OK with no lip sync issues. BBC iPlayer and ITV Player are both still fine.

Can I suggest that if you are contemplating buying a Samsung Smart TV, and assuming that you are purchasing from a retailer rather than on line, you insist on seeing a demo of the catch up services. But, of course, make sure that the set has the latest firmware update.

On my UE32F5500 set the firmware version is displayed as 1118.2. I have done all my recent firmware upgrades via download to PC and transfer to the TV using a USB memory stick.

Can you get the TV close enough to your router to try a direct ethernet connection? If so, and the catch-up services work OK, then this would suggest that it is indeed the wireless reception to the set that is 'dodgy'.

You could also try opening the web browser on the TV and running a speed test - e.g. www.speedtest.net - and see what result this produces. It's interesting that since the last firmware update the download speed recorded using this method on my set has jumped from around 8Mbps to 23Mbps. (The maximum that I can achieve on my PCs with a direct connection is ~38Mbps and ~32Mbps via a wireless connection.)

I have thought about trying an Ethernet connection but it’s really too much hassle to move the hardware and I don’t have a patch cable long enough otherwise.

I’ve tried a speed test (www.speedtest.net) for my Ethernet connected PC, with TV off, and a speed test for my TV, with PC off, - just to take the other out of the equation each time. For my PC it gave download figures in the 5.2 - 5.8Mbps range, depending on the server I selected. The corresponding figures for the TV were all circa 5.8Mbps. According to the BBC, 2.0Mbps is required for standard and 3.0Mbps for HD.

I find these speed test sites interesting though, as they have a habit of disagreeing with each other and I don’t know whom to believe, if any - at the time of testing my Sky Hub was showing 6.8Mbps! There also seems to be no agreement as to whether a wireless connection will (or should) give the same download figure as a cable, all things being equal. That is to say x-Mbps download into router equals x-Mbps out via wireless – assuming there’s no cabled connections in use at the time of course.
    Forum Member
    yeah i will think it will be from richer sounds there very compettitve with price when been in the shop though they only seem to have the top end on display but if im going to part with my well earned money going to insist after all these problems with samsung such a shame none of the other major companies have full catch up otherwise id have looked at them.

I have been told that Samsung's exclusive deal on the ITV player, etc. will end but I can't see a time scale quoted anywhere.

Good luck with your purchase!
    Forum Member
    I have thought about trying an Ethernet connection but it’s really too much hassle to move the hardware and I don’t have a patch cable long enough otherwise.

I’ve tried a speed test (www.speedtest.net) for my Ethernet connected PC, with TV off, and a speed test for my TV, with PC off, - just to take the other out of the equation each time. For my PC it gave download figures in the 5.2 - 5.8Mbps range, depending on the server I selected. The corresponding figures for the TV were all circa 5.8Mbps. According to the BBC, 2.0Mbps is required for standard and 3.0Mbps for HD.

I find these speed test sites interesting though, as they have a habit of disagreeing with each other and I don’t know whom to believe, if any - at the time of testing my Sky Hub was showing 6.8Mbps! There also seems to be no agreement as to whether a wireless connection will (or should) give the same download figure as a cable, all things being equal. That is to say x-Mbps download into router equals x-Mbps out via wireless – assuming there’s no cabled connections in use at the time of course.

The various speed test utilities are indeed quite confusing given the different results that one can obtain. I use them as a guide only and not for absolute figures. I always use the same test site and always to the same server

You do seem to have a sufficiently fast connection to use the catch-up services but I would encourage you to try the direct ethernet connection to your router even if it is a 'hassle' to relocate the TV for a short while. I resisted doing this during various conversations with Samsung but eventually gave in. It was a worthwhile exercise as, in my case, it did demonstrate that the lip sync issue was nothing to do with my wireless connection. You are trying to find out if it is your wireless connection to the set that is causing your problems - a direct connection would either prove or disprove this I think.
    Forum Member
    The various speed test utilities are indeed quite confusing given the different results that one can obtain. I use them as a guide only and not for absolute figures. I always use the same test site and always to the same server

You do seem to have a sufficiently fast connection to use the catch-up services but I would encourage you to try the direct ethernet connection to your router even if it is a 'hassle' to relocate the TV for a short while. I resisted doing this during various conversations with Samsung but eventually gave in. It was a worthwhile exercise as, in my case, it did demonstrate that the lip sync issue was nothing to do with my wireless connection. You are trying to find out if it is your wireless connection to the set that is causing your problems - a direct connection would either prove or disprove this I think.

Yes I do take your point re a wired connection, although I’m not sure how long I would have to wait until I’m convinced one way or the other. The freezing issue has no pattern, in frequency or length: one evening I watched 2 episodes of The Musketeers with no problems whatsoever, the following evening I tried to watch another episode of the same series and it was ruined (for me) by numerous freezing sessions, most lasted perhaps a few seconds (seemed much longer) but it was enough to break my concentration – I ended up just wondering how long until the next freeze!

I tried a firmware update via a flash drive; initially I figured on just checking to see whether the TV recognised the v1118.2 on the drive as a newer version. Problem is it didn’t even give me on option to update via a USB device – it just performed a search and said there is was no new version available. The TV did recognise the flash drive though, as I could select it via the input option.

On a side issue, I’ve noticed that some menu options are sometimes greyed out (accepting those I would expect to be, depending on the TV’s set up) only to become available later – maybe by backtracking then retrying. The firmware update option is an example – it did become available, obviously, albeit not via my flash drive.
    Forum Member
    Yes I do take your point re a wired connection, although I’m not sure how long I would have to wait until I’m convinced one way or the other. The freezing issue has no pattern, in frequency or length: one evening I watched 2 episodes of The Musketeers with no problems whatsoever, the following evening I tried to watch another episode of the same series and it was ruined (for me) by numerous freezing sessions, most lasted perhaps a few seconds (seemed much longer) but it was enough to break my concentration – I ended up just wondering how long until the next freeze!

I tried a firmware update via a flash drive; initially I figured on just checking to see whether the TV recognised the v1118.2 on the drive as a newer version. Problem is it didn’t even give me on option to update via a USB device – it just performed a search and said there is was no new version available. The TV did recognise the flash drive though, as I could select it via the input option.

On a side issue, I’ve noticed that some menu options are sometimes greyed out (accepting those I would expect to be, depending on the TV’s set up) only to become available later – maybe by backtracking then retrying. The firmware update option is an example – it did become available, obviously, albeit not via my flash drive.

Your frustration at the 'freezing' of the iPlayer is totally understandable. I experienced similar annoyance with the lip sync issue and had completely abandoned the use of the BBC iPlayer on the Samsung TV. Thankfully that problem has now been fixed, at least it has for me.

It does rather sound as though you are suffering from a poor and / or intermittent wireless connection from TV to router and that the BBC iPlayer is periodically buffering. I did have a similar broadband speed (~8Mbps) prior to upgrading to BT Infinity but I bought my Samsung television after this change in service so I have no idea how my own set would have performed at this line speed. In theory 8Mbps should be ample for all the catch-up applications. (I certainly had no problem with the BBC iPlayer on my PCs at this sort of speed but I believe that the software implementation of the catch-up services is quite different on TVs and PCs.) Have you asked Samsung for assistance?

I too have noticed the greying out of menu options. A USB memory stick inserted for general use is available immediately for recording etc. However, a USB memory stick containing a firmware upgrade file takes some time (a minute or so I think, from memory) to register. During this time the upgrade option is greyed out.

I do hope that you manage to get this sorted out. Do let us know how you get on.
    Forum Member
    Your frustration at the 'freezing' of the iPlayer is totally understandable. I experienced similar annoyance with the lip sync issue and had completely abandoned the use of the BBC iPlayer on the Samsung TV. Thankfully that problem has now been fixed, at least it has for me.

It does rather sound as though you are suffering from a poor and / or intermittent wireless connection from TV to router and that the BBC iPlayer is periodically buffering. I did have a similar broadband speed (~8Mbps) prior to upgrading to BT Infinity but I bought my Samsung television after this change in service so I have no idea how my own set would have performed at this line speed. In theory 8Mbps should be ample for all the catch-up applications. (I certainly had no problem with the BBC iPlayer on my PCs at this sort of speed but I believe that the software implementation of the catch-up services is quite different on TVs and PCs.) Have you asked Samsung for assistance?

I too have noticed the greying out of menu options. A USB memory stick inserted for general use is available immediately for recording etc. However, a USB memory stick containing a firmware upgrade file takes some time (a minute or so I think, from memory) to register. During this time the upgrade option is greyed out.

I do hope that you manage to get this sorted out. Do let us know how you get on.

It’ll be interesting to see whether the Sky Wireless Booster makes any difference (if I ever receive it that is, as they’re out of stock at present). Don’t know if you know anything about them; from what I understand it may be a case of swings and roundabouts, rather than all positive?

http://help.sky.com/broadband/set-up-sky-broadband/set-up-your-sky-wireless-booster
    http://help.sky.com/broadband/problems-with-your-connection/sky-wireless-booster-faqs

Regarding updating the firmware via a USB device: although I do manage to get into the software update option (i.e. it’s not greyed out) I’m unsure whether my flash drive is scanned, as the pdf guide on this subject states I’ll be prompted, ‘Do you want to search the connected USB device for upgrade files?’ - I receive no such prompt.
    Forum Member
    It’ll be interesting to see whether the Sky Wireless Booster makes any difference (if I ever receive it that is, as they’re out of stock at present). Don’t know if you know anything about them; from what I understand it may be a case of swings and roundabouts, rather than all positive?

Regarding updating the firmware via a USB device: although I do manage to get into the software update option (i.e. it’s not greyed out) I’m unsure whether my flash drive is scanned, as the pdf guide on this subject states I’ll be prompted, ‘Do you want to search the connected USB device for upgrade files?’ - I receive no such prompt.

I have no experience of the Sky Booster - sorry, can't help on this. Have you thought about trying mains network adapters. There is a good selection at Maplin if you have one close to you. And if they don't work or don't improve matters Maplin will happily take them back. I am using TP-Link 500Mbps adapters to feed a desktop PC and my laptop. Actual speed is probably more like 40-50Mbps but more than enough for a 38Mbps broadband service.

From memory - a USB memory stick containing a valid upgrade file will register on the TV (takes a minute or so). If you then go the 'Manual update' menu option and then select the USB option you will be prompted to install the new file. (Hope I got that right!)
    Forum Member
    I have no experience of the Sky Booster - sorry, can't help on this. Have you thought about trying mains network adapters. There is a good selection at Maplin if you have one close to you. And if they don't work or don't improve matters Maplin will happily take them back. I am using TP-Link 500Mbps adapters to feed a desktop PC and my laptop. Actual speed is probably more like 40-50Mbps but more than enough for a 38Mbps broadband service.

From memory - a USB memory stick containing a valid upgrade file will register on the TV (takes a minute or so). If you then go the 'Manual update' menu option and then select the USB option you will be prompted to install the new file. (Hope I got that right!)

I’m beginning to think it’s the extra 1.0Mbps required for HD that’s giving me the freezing issue; as I don’t (so far) get an issue with the iPlayer set to Standard resolution. Strange really as the speed tests would suggest I have more than enough to receive HD ok?

Those mains network adaptors sound interesting. Do they boost also, as you state a 40-50Mbps from your 38Mbps broadband service?

I take it you cable connect your router to a box of tricks which, in turn, plugs in to a convenient mains circuit socket then there’s another box of tricks plugged in to another mains circuit socket which is then wired directly to the hardware you wish to network?

That, as I say, sound interesting as long as the speed isn’t compromised – otherwise I may be back to square one! I also take it that all the adaptors have to be on the same mains circuit, or do they communicate via the consumer unit also?
    Forum Member
    I’m beginning to think it’s the extra 1.0Mbps required for HD that’s giving me the freezing issue; as I don’t (so far) get an issue with the iPlayer set to Standard resolution. Strange really as the speed tests would suggest I have more than enough to receive HD ok?

Those mains network adaptors sound interesting. Do they boost also, as you state a 40-50Mbps from your 38Mbps broadband service?

I take it you cable connect your router to a box of tricks which, in turn, plugs in to a convenient mains circuit socket then there’s another box of tricks plugged in to another mains circuit socket which is then wired directly to the hardware you wish to network?

That, as I say, sound interesting as long as the speed isn’t compromised – otherwise I may be back to square one! I also take it that all the adaptors have to be on the same mains circuit, or do they communicate via the consumer unit also?

I may have confused matters by referring to the operation of my mains network adapters at 40-50Mbps. I will explain -

The adapters that I have are rated at 500Mbps but that is a maximum. I have tested the units by transferring a file of a known size from my laptop to my desktop PC and measuring the time taken. I have then used this information to calculate the actual transfer speed in Mbps - this is somewhere between 40 and 50 Mbps. So the 'system' is operating at nowhere near the rated speed of 500Mbps but is more than enough for my broadband service which I consistently measure at around 38Mbps. The adapters are not therefore slowing down the broadband feed to my PCs. They cannot boost the speed in any way.

You will need two network adapters if you just want to connect from your router to your TV. (I have these units from Maplin - http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/tp-link-av500-500mbps-powerline-adapter-with-ac-pass-through-starter-kit-n68qt) To set them up it is advisable to plug them in to a double socket, side by side. You then simply press a button on each device and wait for them to link. Then plug in one adapter next to your router and the other in to a mains socket next to your TV. Connect an ethernet cable from your router to the first adapter and from your TV to the second. You will need to change the settings on your TV to tell it to use a wired connection instead of wireless.

Mains network adapters will, in theory, operate when connected to, say, two different ring mains provided that these are both fed from the same consumer unit. The instructions will tell you that they may not work properly if plugged in to extension leads, particularly one with mains filtering. The two that I have that are feeding the PC and my laptop are both plugged in to extension leads, one of which is filtered, and they work fine!

I did recently have a problem when trying to get mains network adapters working at a friend's house. He wanted a feed from his router in the house to his outside, detached workshop. They would not work and we concluded that the problem was that the workshop is fed via an SWA cable from his main consumer unit. There is then a second consumer unit in the workshop which feeds all his equipment, etc.

Mains network adapters obviously do have their limitations but they are working fine for me. As I said in an earlier post, if you buy from Maplin and find that they are not suitable for your application, Maplin is very accommodating and will let you return them.

I hope this helps.
    Forum Member
    I may have confused matters by referring to the operation of my mains network adapters at 40-50Mbps. I will explain -

The adapters that I have are rated at 500Mbps but that is a maximum. I have tested the units by transferring a file of a known size from my laptop to my desktop PC and measuring the time taken. I have then used this information to calculate the actual transfer speed in Mbps - this is somewhere between 40 and 50 Mbps. So the 'system' is operating at nowhere near the rated speed of 500Mbps but is more than enough for my broadband service which I consistently measure at around 38Mbps. The adapters are not therefore slowing down the broadband feed to my PCs. They cannot boost the speed in any way.

You will need two network adapters if you just want to connect from your router to your TV. (I have these units from Maplin - http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/tp-link-av500-500mbps-powerline-adapter-with-ac-pass-through-starter-kit-n68qt) To set them up it is advisable to plug them in to a double socket, side by side. You then simply press a button on each device and wait for them to link. Then plug in one adapter next to your router and the other in to a mains socket next to your TV. Connect an ethernet cable from your router to the first adapter and from your TV to the second. You will need to change the settings on your TV to tell it to use a wired connection instead of wireless.

Mains network adapters will, in theory, operate when connected to, say, two different ring mains provided that these are both fed from the same consumer unit. The instructions will tell you that they may not work properly if plugged in to extension leads, particularly one with mains filtering. The two that I have that are feeding the PC and my laptop are both plugged in to extension leads, one of which is filtered, and they work fine!

I did recently have a problem when trying to get mains network adapters working at a friend's house. He wanted a feed from his router in the house to his outside, detached workshop. They would not work and we concluded that the problem was that the workshop is fed via an SWA cable from his main consumer unit. There is then a second consumer unit in the workshop which feeds all his equipment, etc.

Mains network adapters obviously do have their limitations but they are working fine for me. As I said in an earlier post, if you buy from Maplin and find that they are not suitable for your application, Maplin is very accommodating and will let you return them.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for that, I understand what you mean, it’s the max. capability of the network (in theory!). I didn’t really think I’d get more out than comes in to my router – thought you’d discovered something akin to a perpetual motion machine! At least I should get no speed reduction, from what you say, internet-wise.

I was going to suggest you’d be ok with a 200srs version but, based on your 500srs figures, it may have dropped you below 38Mbps? Based on my minuscule 6-7-8Mbps I suppose the 200srs will be ample, although it’s always nice to have something in reserve, especially if I wanted it for non-internet networking. I see they also produce a 600srs adaptor.

Glad yours works ok though an extension lead, as my TV is fed via the same method! Also good regarding differing circuits, as my TV is on a different circuit from my PC/Router – same consumer unit though (phew!). Perhaps these adaptors transmit via the neutral conductor (or earth?) and they read all the individual circuits as just one?

Are you aware if it’s ok to keep powering on and off regarding these adaptors? I ask as the TV is always turned off at the wall over night and I wouldn’t like to go though some sort of protracted re-boot or set-up process each time I turn the TV’s power on!
    Forum Member
    Are you aware if it’s ok to keep powering on and off regarding these adaptors? I ask as the TV is always turned off at the wall over night and I wouldn’t like to go though some sort of protracted re-boot or set-up process each time I turn the TV’s power on!

The adapter next to my router is generally left on 24 hours, the other two are turned off at night but immediately reconnect when switched back on. I have turned all three off on occasions and have not had any problems when they are powered up again.
    Forum Member
    The adapter next to my router is generally left on 24 hours, the other two are turned off at night but immediately reconnect when switched back on. I have turned all three off on occasions and have not had any problems when they are powered up again.

OK, thanks for that – it’s what I wanted to hear!
    Forum Member
    I see that there is another firmware update - v1119.0 dated 6 March 2014 - on the Samsung web site. Has anyone tried this yet? I don't know whether to install it or leave well alone!
    Forum Member
    I see that there is another firmware update - v1119.0 dated 6 March 2014 - on the Samsung web site. Has anyone tried this yet? I don't know whether to install it or leave well alone!

Yes, and what’s happened to the Samsung website?

I went on to find the firmware you mention but the site has altered since I last visited – and not for the better, as far as I’m concerned.

I’m still able to log in (eventually) but there’s no longer any sign of the TV I registered! So I re-registered it but, having done so, there’s still no record of it. Even looking for a TV isn’t as simple as previous – it seems Samsung are more interested in showing me their mobile phones. The site looks a bit Windows 8-like - i.e. rubbish.

I eventually found my TV model type by searching for it – it seems it’s been relegated to the archives!

All in all, using Samsung’s website is not a user-friendly experience!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    This post is a continuation of one started last July on the unreliability of the BBC iplayer app on Samsung Smart TV's.
    I have only recently bought a Samsung Smart TV (March 2014) and like other posters have been frustrated at attempts to use the iplayer with any reliability. It downloads sometimes but not at others. Since I bought the TV almost exclusively for the BBC iplayer this is doubly annoying. However recently whilst tearing my hair out at not being able to get the app working I switched over to the main BBC News at 10 and then pressed the Text button to get the football results. When I did this I noticed that under the Text options besides all the sports etc was a heading for iplayer under the features section. On pressing this iPlayer loaded immediately. I have been able to repeat this more than once. Whilst this does not solve the otherwise poor performance of BBC iplayer or the inability to download lots of other apps (although ITV real player always works 1st time) it does solve the BBC iplayer problem for me at least. I would be interested in anybody having a similar success.

David
  • neil79neil79 Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Samsung make decent screens but the the so called smart features are worse than useless. I purchased a 32 inch Samsung TV after comparing the screen with similar priced offerings from Panasonic, Sony and Toshiba. The Samsung also had better connectivity than the other sets I viewed with 4 HDMI sockets, wifi usb etc.

The salesman told me the Samsung had all the On demand services including i player and You Tube. I told him as I was upgrading my Freesat PVR to the Humax free time wifi PVR that I probably would not be using the Smart features on the TV.

As it happened I had a short delay before I could obtain the Humax Freetime box so I tried out the smart features on the Samsung and also connected a Apple TV a few days before my Humax box arrived. The Samsung was poor and froze up on a regular basis when using the on demand features although worked brilliantly when viewing You Tube on the ATV or streaming live BT sport football from my iOS devices through the ATV. I also had purchased a Samsung DVD/ Blueray player at the same time as the TV and am very pleased with that as well as the Samsung TV which was heavily discounted.

When I set up the Humax wifi FSAT pvr with free time I found I had a very reliable BBC i player + You Tube etc. No freeze up's or anything like that. I also found the Samsung TV unreliable for streaming stuff from my 2 iOS devices before I obtained my ATV. I think the fact that such good results came from the Humax and ATV over wifi proves the Samsung has a problem in that department.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    HELP-I cannot find the play on my Samsung Smart TV for the BBC IPLAYER anybody any no where it is ????????????????>:(
  • ovbgovbg Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HELP-I cannot find the play on my Samsung Smart TV for the BBC IPLAYER anybody any no where it is ????????????????>:(

Hi just use the select button on your remote when you hover over a TV show. This is the button in the middle of all the arrow ones.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    2014 Samsung Update, forgot about this thread. The Lip-Sync issue has been fixed for a while on my TV's. But Samsung support continues to decline in my experience. They never admit responsibility for any issues, instead of just giving an ETA on a firmware update they leave you with further questions as to whether their products are faulty or not?

The Samsung website revision is absolutely abysmal. Everything is massive on the page (obviously built for mobile devices), all my registered products were dumped on site update, so I have to add them again. New product detail and features are now watered down, not sure what I'm buying any more unless I look on a retailers site. Their contact form fails to submit more often than it completes. And I'm forever getting 401's or pages failing to load.

I now own 4 Samsung TV's, good products, but software can be flakey.

The new 2014 TV just purchased has a new Smart Hub version which has slightly better usability and a new firmware grade, now 2****. But I've found that some features are not as current on the 2014 model as they are on the 2013 models. And again Samsung tell me there is nothing they can do. I can't get digital text, the iPlayer app is old and the Amazon Instant Video App is not compatible, videos do not play.

The challenge continues.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isnt the I.Player flakey at best on most platforms? it certainly still is on Virgin Tivo, despite many promises. That blasted circle of death goes round for ever.
  • ovbgovbg Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, works perfectly well for me on all platforms I use (iOS, Samsung TV, Roku and PS4).

I never had the sync issue experienced by others. The only odd thing is that the PS4 version is just a direct port, and they haven't even changed the key layout on-screen as it doesn't match the gamepad.
    Forum Member
    I've found out that the text version I need is the "Connected Red Button" and only available on specific models right now. http://www.bbc.co.uk/aboutthebbc/insidethebbc/whatwedo/redbuttondevices/ and http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/27047616
    Forum Member
    For anyone with a 2014 Samsung, this is confirmation about the 'BBC Connected Red Button' and 'iPlayer app'. Email confirmation from the BBC...

"The new version of our Smart TV app is not yet available on 2014 Samsung models although we're aware of demand and working to widen support once 2014 devices have passed our testing process..

For more information please see the following link:

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/tv/connected_TVs_new_iPlayer

This is also the case with connected Red Button:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/aboutthebbc/insidethebbc/whatwedo/redbuttondevices/"

So we sit and wait.