Options

Rik Mayall Presents

Comments

• Options
    kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got an awkward question - what was that song getting played whilst the "stripper" was dancing :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they didnt cut the garry glitter. 'do you wanna touch me?'

It must be his day today (thanks for answering question I did not notice this - apologies), hell they still kept in birds of a feather them singing one of his songs :o (on drama channel earlier today)
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kezo wrote: »
    Got an awkward question - what was that song getting played whilst the "stripper" was dancing :o

'touch me' by gary giltter.. and awful song, with shocking lyrics......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'touch me' by gary giltter.. and awful song, with shocking lyrics......

:o ... yet when I was watching Birds of a Feather on Drama Channel and heard the lyrics I just went (they sang it not the guy himself) :o
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope, definately never seen that before and enjoyed it. Rik really was a very good actor. Completely convincing as a romantic lead. Will have to seek out other episodes from this series.
  • Options
    Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they didnt cut the garry glitter. 'do you wanna touch me?'

Why on earth would they cut it?
    I'm serious - it's a crucial scene, if you cut that, the scenario does not make any sense anymore.
    I'm finding all this :o:o:o outrage a bit OTT to be honest, this was broadcast in memory of Rik Mayall, not because it featured one of Glitter's songs.

Lovely little episode btw, never seen it before. Thanks for posting this, OP.
  • Options
    johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved it! Rik was great and he really was handsome!

Just watching Guesthouse Paradiso:-

GUEST: (ordering breakfast) Where do the eggs come from?
    RIK: Hens' vaginas!

:D:D
  • Options
    Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johartuk wrote: »
    Loved it! Rik was great and he really was handsome!

Woof woof! was very handsome indeed :D

Ah damn you Lord Flashheart - you died way too young.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    northlad wrote: »
    Think it was James Anderton in Manchester,and he was still chief constable when this was made,different class to any so called sit coms today.

Thanks, I knew it was a Northern police force but could not remember which one.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For some reason my recording started at the beginning of part 2, so I'm glad I have it on DVD. The only slight disappointment is that the quality actually seemed better on the recording than on my DVD.

I will forever love Nellie The Elephant, Come Up And See Me, and especially, I Need Your Love So Bad. I don't normally go for romantic weepies, but there are moments in this that affect me so much that I'm scared of watching it in mixed company :D I really mean it to be honest - I just seem to be able to relate to it in a way that I don't react to any other film. As far as I'm concerned it's Helena Bonham Carter's finest moment and I don't know why it doesn't get more recognition.
  • Options
    mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lea_uk wrote: »
    I'm sure I've watched it on GOLD. I've definitely seen it, and I didn't watch it in the 80s.

Yep, GOLD did show it eventually.
  • Options
    DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikebuk wrote: »
    Filthy, Rich and Catflap, sadly rarely shown.

I really like that series, up there with Young Ones and Bottom for ne.

If you do a google search, with the title and episode 1, then choose videos, well, you might get lucky

Same for Mr Jolly
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bonham Carter acting all common.

Nice bum

😍
  • Options
    Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was lovely. He was so handsome in it- but in a sweet way, unlike as Alan. Oh dear - I feel sad again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why did they cut it? The b&b etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Dancing Queen episode is on tonight itv at 2300.

Didnt realise it was on alough I have the boxset to watch.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why did they cut it? The b&b etc.
    I remember reading many years ago, that they did actually shoot it as a full-length feature film, but edited it down quite savagely to fit the format for Rik Mayall Presents. Legend has it that due to a monumental cock-up, they didn't keep the original footage and so the full version is lost forever.

It is a shame how it was so obviously hurried towards the end (Mayall magically returning to the bandstand when Bonham Carter just happened to be there as if he'd left five minutes ago).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked it, but to me Rik was amazing when he was Rik, Rich, Richie or Flash, or Comic Stripping.

I remember being a bit surprised / disappointed (sorry i hope that doesnt seem too strong) by him in a relatively "normal" role such as Presents, or The New Statesman.

Basicaly he was the greatest at being a bit mad.
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    If you watch it on ITV HD via HDMI then it shouldn't be stretched as they keep to the original ratio format.
    Possibly but ITV should always broadcast shows in the correct format. It looked awful stretched to 16:9.
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    I remember reading many years ago, that they did actually shoot it as a full-length feature film, but edited it down quite savagely to fit the format for Rik Mayall Presents. Legend has it that due to a monumental cock-up, they didn't keep the original footage and so the full version is lost forever.

It is a shame how it was so obviously hurried towards the end (Mayall magically returning to the bandstand when Bonham Carter just happened to be there as if he'd left five minutes ago).

And having mysteriously bought women's clothes somewhere along the way :D

God, he was gorgeous wasn't he. :cry:
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    northlad wrote: »
    Thought New Statesman was brilliant,just shows the difference between sit coms today.
    The production values and the costs involved in this must have been massive.Yorkshire Television at it best.
    The House of Commons set was already in existence. YTV didn't have to build it.

It was great to see The New Statesman on again but a shame they picked a rather weak episode.
  • Options
    cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got this recorded so will watch later, does anyone remember the dream Rik as in about 10 years ago called 'All About George'? Me and my brother loved it and were gutted it never came back for a second series.
  • Options
    WillpurryWillpurry Posts: 2,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    The House of Commons set was already in existence. YTV didn't have to build it.

It was great to see The New Statesman on again but a shame they picked a rather weak episode.

Wasn't the set built for 'First Among Equals'?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why on earth would they cut it?
    I'm serious - it's a crucial scene, if you cut that, the scenario does not make any sense anymore.
    I'm finding all this :o:o:o outrage a bit OTT to be honest, this was broadcast in memory of Rik Mayall, not because it featured one of Glitter's songs.

Lovely little episode btw, never seen it before. Thanks for posting this, OP.

The thing that got me was hearing gary glitter songs in the one day - it was nothing personal towards the Rik Mayall programme - but I did enjoy it and I agree with you that they couldn't cut out a scene featuring one of his songs it would look stupid and not make sense but I look at it this way as it was at that time in the 90's
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    Possibly but ITV should always broadcast shows in the correct format. It looked awful stretched to 16:9.

Is that what ITV had done? I don't think broadcasters these days care about the picture set up or even reverting it back to correct set up since we have all gone "widescreen"