The Tennis Thread (Part 27)

Comments

• PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Goodwin wrote: »
    Another 'Today at Wimbledon' bites the dust unless this match finishes by 8.30. Why they don't just have the highlights show later in the evening like they use to I don't know.

The HL show is scheduled every eveing from 8-9pm BBC2 but now they seem to think viewers prefer to stay with any live match .

I'm sure there are lots of people working during the day and who look forward to these HLs, especially when you have big upsets like today . They surely could have put the Kvitova match on the red button .
  • kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    We'll probably never know and the official line will be she was sick but she looked pissed out of her mind to me, if you looked up drunk trying to play tennis, you would find a description of Serena's actions today.

I would probably think she was ill if Venus had shown even the slightest bit of concern, but she never really did.
  • ElCantoDelLocoElCantoDelLoco Posts: 6,637
    Forum Member
    tally wrote: »
    :D Petch is like a proud dad. He gushes about Andy, probably because he was, after Judy, his first proper, on tour, coach.
    I do love him though. He and Chris Bailey used to be superb on Sky Sports. like Marcus though.

And oh, how I connect with the joys of being a pessimistic Andy supporter. I'm kinda glad I'll be at hospital tomorrow, I'll miss the match which will help my stress levels no end. :D

Hope it goes well at the hospital :)
    I didn't really give Andy the slightest chance of defending his title before the tournament :blush:, but he's still here and it's getting to the business end now - really looking forward to his match against Grigor, fingers crossed for him today :)
    saralund wrote: »
    So, did anyone else watch the bizarre Serena event?

And did anyone else think that she was quite capable of understanding that she was in no state to be on a Wimbledon court? But was determined to be on that court, and remain on it for long enough to get the world's attention? An announcement from the locker room - and given her state, she must have known at that point that she wasn't OK - would have done the business with more respect to the opponents.

Am I the only one who thought that Venus did not look deeply concerned about her sister?

If she's got Sjogren's or labyrinthitis, then I'm just a cynical old sourpuss, of course.
    Serena never seems to be given the benefit of the doubt! Maybe she was being professional and didn't want to pull out? I don't find her particularly likeable, she comes across as a bit arrogant for me, but I honestly think more conspiracy theories surround her than any other tennis player ever and I can't see she deserves it :confused:
    ellieb123 wrote: »
    As a Rafa fan, I wish it had kicked into life some other day. :p;)

Amen to that! :(
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,167
    Forum Member
    Sarn wrote: »
    Why not :confused:

Because there are other players who seem very capable of beating her. But that's simply just an opinion/prediction. Most folks thought that Nadal would win yesterday and look how that turned out.
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    Oh no. :( I hope someone takes Fed out before then.

Federer shouldn't win it at his current age though.

Even if all the first 4 sets of Murray v Djokovic go 6/4 7/5 and/or 7/6 and the 5th set ends 22/20 Federer will still be the clear second favourite in the final.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lushness wrote: »
    Because there are other players who seem very capable of beating her. But that's simply just an opinion/prediction. Most folks thought that Nadal would win yesterday and look how that turned out.

If you look at the result individially it was a big shock. But the first 3 rounds this year against low ranked players and the previous 2 Wimbledon's where Nadal lost to such players, he was far from completely immune from still suffering from such a big upset in round 4 even if many people thought he had settled into the tournament far too much for him to suffer another big upset.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tally wrote: »
    :D Petch is like a proud dad. He gushes about Andy, probably because he was, after Judy, his first proper, on tour, coach.
    I do love him though. He and Chris Bailey used to be superb on Sky Sports. like Marcus though.

And oh, how I connect with the joys of being a pessimistic Andy supporter. I'm kinda glad I'll be at hospital tomorrow, I'll miss the match which will help my stress levels no end. :D

I agree with you re Petchy. In a way I envy you having an excuse to misss the Andy match tho not at hospital:(. I hope it's beneficial to you and you come home to a good result. I'm expecting to get a lot of gardening done today:D all the best.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lushness wrote: »

If you look at the result individially it was a big shock. But the first 3 rounds this year against low ranked players and the previous 2 Wimbledon's where Nadal lost to such players, he was far from completely immune from still suffering from such a big upset in round 4 even if many people thought he had settled into the tournament far too much to suffer another big upset. He may have made the finals in 2012 and 2013 but for those who say he would have made the finals or even won it/them otherwise definitely for sure are wrong to make such an assertion.

Yesterday after surving scares in all his first 3 matches at Wimbledon this year proved in many ways he was far from certain of at least making the Wimbledon finals in 2012 and 2013 even if he had managed to survive against Rosol and Darkis. He would have still struggled for at least 2 rounds since Rosol 2012 and likewise since Darkis last year.
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any idea how I can watch the match at work? Is it streamed live?

We'll have naff all to do today, as our partner organisation are all on a 2-day course, and I'd really love to watch the men's matches.

We just go and watch it on the training room tv, as the rest of the building will be working normally.
  • ellieb123ellieb123 Posts: 7,546
    Forum Member
    LakieLady wrote: »

We'll have naff all to do today, as our partner organisation are all on a 2-day course, and I'd really love to watch the men's matches.

We just go and watch it on the training room tv, as the rest of the building will be working normally.

It'll be streamed live on the BBC website.
  • lola14lola14 Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just think he comes over as obnoxious, self-satisfied and very full of himself. He blatant favouritism towards Murray is very unprofessional, IMO.

I like Mark Petchy. But he said on Sky once, how close he was to Andy Murray, and how he found it really difficult to be critical of him! Which is why I don't like him commenting on Andy's matches.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,167
    Forum Member
    I'm hoping the Halep v Lisicki match will be a long drawn out affair. Strictly for selfish reasons so I can watch more of Andy.
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kingjeremy wrote: »
    We'll probably never know and the official line will be she was sick but she looked pissed out of her mind to me, if you looked up drunk trying to play tennis, you would find a description of Serena's actions today.

Well Serena is a Jehova's Witness and getting drunk is regarded as a sin. Plus she's a professionals athlete. I really doubt she went on a drinking binge after losing to Cornet, that's just ridiculous. I think she is probably got a virus but her mental state is making the symptoms worse. People underestimate how big an effect the mind can have on the body.
  • lola14lola14 Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    I agree with you re Petchy. In a way I envy you having an excuse to misss the Andy match tho not at hospital:(. I hope it's beneficial to you and you come home to a good result. I'm expecting to get a lot of gardening done today:D all the best.

Good luck today Tally, I`m keeping everything crossed for you , :):)
  • ellieb123ellieb123 Posts: 7,546
    Forum Member
    lola14 wrote: »
    I like Mark Petchy. But he said on Sky once, how close he was to Andy Murray, and how he found it really difficult to be critical of him! Which is why I don't like him commenting on Andy's matches.

I think you're right lola- he's just too OTT when it comes to Andy. I know the reason they want him in the commentary box is partly his relationship with Andy- but I see it as a negative thing! They'd be best off without him in there- Tim is probably just about the right amount of biased (even if he isn't the better commentator over all)...
  • ElCantoDelLocoElCantoDelLoco Posts: 6,637
    Forum Member
    ellieb123 wrote: »
    I think you're right lola- he's just too OTT when it comes to Andy. I know the reason they want him in the commentary box is partly his relationship with Andy- but I see it as a negative thing! They'd be best off without him in there- Tim is probably just about the right amount of biased (even if he isn't the better commentator over all)...

I agree too - Petch is great in the studio talking abut Andy where his enthusiasm and his knowledge to me is a good thing, but he should be kept away commentating his matches
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Difficult to know with Serena. A few theories flying around. I wouldn't read too much into Venus. I think when things are going wrong for the family they probably have a buckle down and get on with it mentality and so she may have just not wanted to show any weakness on court.. especially towards Serena. Off court I'm sure she probably made her feelings known but once they walked on she was never going to say anything.

She made it on court so she would have seen a few officials before that point so I think that rules out the more colourful theories. Perhaps she really was just ill. Weird.
  • Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who beat David Ferrer & in what round?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the womens' semi-final line-up complete?
  • SarnSarn Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    LakieLady wrote: »

http://www.drakulastream.eu/tennis-live-streaming-video.html
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,851
    Forum Member
    Is the womens' semi-final line-up complete?

2 quarter finals today.

Ferrer lost to Kuznetsov in 5 sets (2nd round)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    2 quarter finals today.

Ferrer lost to Kuznetsov in 5 sets (2nd round)

I didn't realise he went out so early! Who's Eugenie Bouchard playing (I've got a bet on her)?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know I'm abit late but don't think Sharapova and Nadal losing is as big a shock as they are making out. This is Nadal's best Wimbledon.performance in years. The person who he lost to is a surprise but the result isn't. I actually predicted Kyrigos would win to my family before the match. I think he will be good for the game - he has a type of cool swagger which I think the girls will like. And he looks different to other players. I think ordinary kids will relate to him. He looks like the average teen you might see in London.

Sharapova averages one slam win every two years and has never won two consecutive Slams - I think once Serena lost the commentators were underestimating everyone else in the draw. Very surprised that Sharapova hasn't come back from a set down in ten years here.

Very odd about Serena. Don't think she was hungover though as I doubt her close knit family would have allowed the world to see her in that state if she was, but it did seem strange that Venus appeared to be disinterested. And the fact she hasn't seen her coach and hitting partner in days sounded odd too.
  • JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    I'm not all that sure it can be called cheating if the umpire allows it? SHould never have let her get away with it

There definitely looks something slightly wrong with Sabine physically but calling the trainer at that time was pure gamesmanship

Is it the same as that Btch Robben tripping over 200 times in each match and got the penalty that sent Mexico out some days ago?

The referee allowed that too :(
  • Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't realise he went out so early! Who's Eugenie Bouchard playing (I've got a bet on her)?

Kerber, can't spell her first name.
This discussion has been closed.