Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 60)

Comments

• Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Double confirmation from BBC Media Centre that the week commencing 26th July to 1st August is blanket Commonwealth Games coverage on BBC One - the only non-Commonwealth Games action on BBC One is the F1 highlights on Sunday 27th July. In other words, identical to 2012.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Are you talking about the 13.29m average for Eng v Urg?

Yes, this is the one. I think had England carried on, we'd have seen ratings of over 20 million, but this year an early exit means this could be rating of the year. Also no Murray in the Wimbledon final means the ratings this year could be ho hum, though certainly nothing could beat the mega ratings of 2012.
  • Options
    MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    burbe wrote: »
    Indeed. One of its biggest ratings this year was for Lucy's Funeral which aired 8pm-9pm on Tuesday (axing the Friday episode) when ITV scheduled an hour long Emmerdale. It worked very well and great a massive Tuesday between 8 and 10 with EE/Happy Valley back to back. They could easily have this every Tuesday with EE at 8pm and a major drama at 9pm. Move Holby City into the Friday 8pm slot until its axe (:D).

You are of course expecting ITV not to double up the Thursday episodes of ED into an hour long block. Should the BBC then move EE to 8pm on that day too?

EE works as it is, with or without clashes, and bending over to ITV's wishes is not something that the BBC should do.
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Double confirmation from BBC Media Centre that the week commencing 26th July to 1st August is blanket Commonwealth Games coverage on BBC One - the only non-Commonwealth Games action on BBC One is the F1 highlights on Sunday 27th July. In other words, identical to 2012.

Aaaaah that makes me want to boil my own head! >:(
  • Options
    F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Going to be very interesting. I wonder. I reckon it will do okay but not stunningly well. It's a much smaller event, less important.

Personally I would have kept EastEnders on BBC One as it's not such a big event. But all it's replacing is factual filler so it's probably the right way to go.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KarlHyde wrote: »
    International ratings for NED v ARG:

Netherlands (Nederland 1): 9.055m, 89.3% (new all-time record)
    Germany (ARD): 19.52m, 72.9%
    Austria (ORF): going down from 1.322m (1st half) to 0.829m (penalties), market share between 48 and 61%, plus around 0.3m viewers on ARD

Do you have the Spain ratings for Death In Paradise?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An 8pm start for Doctor Who?

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2014/07/deepbreath-uk800-100714180008.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed
    German broadcaster FOX have now updated their online listings guide for August, and indicate that the first episode of the new series, Deep Breath, is scheduled for the 23rd August at 9:00pm. The BBC have yet to confirm the time that the episode will air on BBC One, but with FOX previously announcing their intention to simulcast the series alongside the United Kingdom, this would suggest that Doctor Who might well be back on the air at the prime time of 8:00pm!

It should be noted, however, that schedules may be subject to change as the broadcast date approaches, and that the 75 minute episode may not be simulcast as anticipated - for the 50th anniversary, the similarly feature-length The Day of the Doctor aired from 7:50pm in the UK with a ten minute delay before commencing in Germany (at 9:00pm local time).
  • Options
    F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »

After their new entertainment show. Would make sense. They will probably run without lottery shows as Break the Safe has started earlier than last year,
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member

Given what it says about Day of the Doctor having a ten minute delay, I can see 7.45pm being likely for the premiere and then 8pm for the remaining run. Which I think would be a good slot for it. I'm not sure they'll be able to fit the lottery draws, Casualty and the news in before MOTD if the premiere ended at 9.15pm.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So that either means a 19:00 start for The X Factor or a direct head to head clash..... however, The X Factor started slightly later last year, so we'll see what happens.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    F1Ken wrote: »
    After their new entertainment show. Would make sense. They will probably run without lottery shows as Break the Safe has started earlier than last year,
    Given what it says about Day of the Doctor having a ten minute delay, I can see 7.45pm being likely for the premiere and then 8pm for the remaining run. Which I think would be a good slot for it. I'm not sure they'll be able to fit the lottery draws, Casualty and the news in before MOTD if the premiere ended at 9.15pm.
    So that either means a 19:00 start for The X Factor or a direct head to head clash..... however, The X Factor started slightly later last year, so we'll see what happens.

I will be surprised if it starts at 8pm. 7.45pm possibly? Day Of The Doctor was a special event and Strictly was on, so had to be at that time. Thinking about it though perhaps BBC1 want to give it the Atlantis timeslot.

Saturday nights in the Autumn are going to be very interesting.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    And what's the betting that, once that news story has had its day, any uplift in viewing numbers will very quickly disappear?
    Or if that news story ever actually happens?

Well, I'm not saying they can just sit on their arses and wait for something, but where are the viewers going to come from otherwise? People who are watching Breakfast aren't suddenly going to decide to switch to ITV on a whim, unless Breakfast undergoes a massively ill-advised revamp. So they need to attract people who aren't currently in the habit of watching live television in the morning because they think the current options are boring. Like people who listen to Radio 1. It's like the 8pm news on BBC1, people ask what the point of it is because people who want news can find it elsewhere, but it's aimed at people who don't know they want news.

I'm not saying they should be praying for a hurricane, nor am I saying that it would solve all their problems, but some people will then sample it for the first time and, if it's any good, some of them should stick around.

There absolutely is a market for something like Good Morning Britain on television. The most popular breakfast programme on any medium is Chris Evans on Radio 2 and that's absolutely not hard news, it's light chat about general interest things. That can certainly work on television. There's not only one way to do breakfast telly.
    But would viewers really want an hour long bog standard episode of EE every week? At least with Lucy's funeral it was an episode that deserved to be an hour long and was somewhat special and it showed in the ratings.

I said this a few weeks ago but I would be vehemently opposed to any attempt to make any episode of 'stEnders an hour long on a regular basis. If you do hour lonmg episodes every week, what happens when you want to genuinely make an event of a massive storyline? Hour long episodes should be genuinely special and when the storylines demand it, not just for the sake of it.

In adition you're complicating the scheduling for viewers and you end up with something like Corrie where viewers have to chase it around from pillar to post, so any advantage you gain from Tuesdays you lose on other nights. Also, it's not like Tuesdays need sorting out anyway, nothing's going to be better than 'stEnders at 7.30 opposite Emmerdale and they already dominate from 8-10pm anyway.
  • Options
    Philip WilsonPhilip Wilson Posts: 1,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glee's final season cut from 22 to 13 episodes.

Unsurpring given the terrible ratings this year, will debut midseason with no gaps. I imagine it will land on Fridays unless it is needed to fill a hole in the schedule.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Formula 1 looks quite interesting compare to the Commonwealth Games which you could watch live on Sky.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,059
    Forum Member
    Amazed at the rating for last night's game considering how awful it was. The ratings for the shoot out were terrific considering ratings normally drop steeply following 10.30pm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really enjoying The Honorable Women on BBC2 now, May do well in the ratings but ratings don't always come with quality.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Commonwealth games will do fine for BBC1 and will probably give them a boost in all day share. When these things happen viewers start to get behind them.
  • Options
    Philip WilsonPhilip Wilson Posts: 1,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CBS big new series Extant, produced by Steven Spielberg and starring Halle Berry got off to a dissapointing start only pulling a 1.6 in the demo this was way below the first season premier of Under The Dome which had a 3.3 and also below its season 2 premier of a 2.1.

Can't see it getting another shot as with the talent involved it can't be cheap, although for summer numbers they aren't bad and it was the joint highest summer series premier this year. CBS will have been expecting a lot more though, it doesn't have a UK channel instead it will be available on Amazon Instant Prime here.
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    Really enjoying The Honorable Women on BBC2 now, May do well in the ratings but ratings don't always come with quality.

Dammit! Forgot it was on... Will iplayer it at the weekend
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    The Commonwealth games will do fine for BBC1 and will probably give them a boost in all day share. When these things happen viewers start to get behind them.

Its going to be really interesting to see what ratings they do get for the various times of day and while I can believe they may do better in the afternoons than normal programs not so sure about evenings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its going to be really interesting to see what ratings they do get for the various times of day and while I can believe they may do better in the afternoons than normal programs not so sure about evenings.

The Chase may get a boost from Pointless not being on.
  • Options
    Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    Just a note on the hour long Emmerdale's. Just over half way through the year we've so far had NINE hour long episodes shown on Tuesday or Thursday. 6 on Tuesday and 3 on Thursday. So in the grand scheme of things, that's not many at all despite this thread suggesting its happening every week. And all these hour long episodes are not extra episodes just because for whatever reason (football, BGT etc) they've just merged two episodes together. No additional episodes have been produced and ITV have had to slot them in - and Tuesday and Thursday and realistically their only options.

I believe these future hour long Emmerdale's are to make up for the lost episodes from the World Cup. Throughout 2008/2009, Emmerdale had a regular weekly clash with EE - which more often than not, resulted in Emmerdale beating EE. I can understand that these clashes seem to kill off the EE momentum but these clashes are hardly new news.
  • Options
    marxavlenmarxavlen Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KarlHyde wrote: »
    Detailed ORF ratings can be found here:
    http://medienforschung.orf.at/ (Wait a couple of seconds, then click on "ORF-Quoten aktuell" in the menu.)

Daily Top 3 and weekly Top 5 for other channels are listed here:
    http://agtt.at/show_content.php?sid=24

Could you post links for France, Italy, and Spain? :)

Your wish is my command (thanks for the Austrian numbers BTW);

France - http://www.ozap.com/rubrique/business_r5/1 (mainly only the top programme of each night, plus some special events)

Spain - http://www.formulatv.com/audiencias/ (very detailed, includes most dayparts for the main channels).

Italy - http://www.ufficiostampa.rai.it/index.html (only RAI numbers)
    http://www.mediaset.it/corporate/salastampa/salastampa_it.shtml (Canale 5/Italia 1)

Hope that helps :)
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Just a note on the hour long Emmerdale's. Just over half way through the year we've so far had NINE hour long episodes shown on Tuesday or Thursday. 6 on Tuesday and 3 on Thursday. So in the grand scheme of things, that's not many at all despite this thread suggesting its happening every week. And all these hour long episodes are not extra episodes just because for whatever reason (football, BGT etc) they've just merged two episodes together. No additional episodes have been produced and ITV have had to slot them in - and Tuesday and Thursday and realistically their only options.

I believe these future hour long Emmerdale's are to make up for the lost episodes from the World Cup. Throughout 2008/2009, Emmerdale had a regular weekly clash with EE - which more often than not, resulted in Emmerdale beating EE. I can understand that these clashes seem to kill off the EE momentum but these clashes are hardly new news.

Asuming your figures are correct its still a fair number. I mean 6 months of the year is 26weeks and 9 clashes is on average 1 every 2 weeks or so and it does seem to happen all the time.
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Overnights.tv ‏@overnightstv 5m
    Documentary #OAPsBehavingBadly on Channel 5 scored strong 1.7m/8.5% at 9pm, with further 226.1k/1.4% on C5+1 http://www.overnights.tv

Overnights.tv ‏@overnightstv 18m
    #questiontime put in a strong, slot-winning performance with 2.5m/21.5% at 10.35pm on BBC1 http://www.overnights.tv

Overnights.tv ‏@overnightstv 22m
    #Champneys on ITV lost out to the first #celebritymasterchef semi-final on BBC1: 2.2m/11.3% vs 3.9m/19.7% http://www.overnights.tv
This discussion has been closed.