Nokia X6 - anyone got one/tried one?

ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,319
Forum Member
✭✭
I currently have a Nokia 5800 which I like, but I'm thinking of upgrading to the X6 as it has 32Mb of memory and a bigger screen but am after opinions as to what it's like and if there are any issues as I know new Nokia's can be buggy.

Cheers

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    How much is the X6 ?
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's currently £450 sim free with a 2 year warranty from Nokia, but till the 25th Jan there's a 10% off voucher, and you can also get 20% quidco cashback so that brings it down to around £324 delivered. It's also a Comes With Music model so 12 month's unlimited free access to the Nokia music store.
  • KIIS102KIIS102 Posts: 8,539
    Forum Member
    £299 on Play yesterday. Not sure if it still is or not, might be worth going to have a ponder
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KIIS102 wrote: »
    £299 on Play yesterday. Not sure if it still is or not, might be worth going to have a ponder

Cheers, but play one is 16Gb, not comes with music and 1 year warranty.
    Forum Member
    Is it really worth that much...?? Is it such a major jump forward from the 5800 which can now be bought for £170 sim free online..?? for that sort of money i'd rather buy a nexus one..!! and get change...!!??!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    Cheers, but play one is 16Gb, not comes with music and 1 year warranty.

thought all Nokias came with 2 years as standard?
  • prkingprking Posts: 9,791
    Forum Member
    bingledee wrote: »
    thought all Nokias came with 2 years as standard?

Yes they do, 24 months from date on receipt or 25 months from date of manufacture (if you don't have receipt).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    okuda wrote: »
    Is it really worth that much...?? Is it such a major jump forward from the 5800 which can now be bought for £170 sim free online..?? for that sort of money i'd rather buy a nexus one..!! and get change...!!??!!

Tbh having thought about it and comparing the specs to my 5800 I've decided it isn't worth the money as the only real differences seem to be 32Gb of memory and a capacative screen and imo that isn't worth the few hundred quid it'd cost to buy one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 494
    Forum Member
    I took the X6 as a free upgrade a few weeks ago. Messed about with it for about 5mins, then put it away and sold it for £200

And now I have a shiny new N900

The X6 did look nice though, white back and at the front it had a blue/turquoise bar along the top

IMO it was an N97 without the pullout keyboard
    Nice phone but no way would I pay the price for which I sold it
  • TomDaOneTomDaOne Posts: 11,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm quite interested in the X6 myself, though the review at TechRadar doesn't actually make me want to run out and get one. Performance slow downs and web pages crashing are turn offs. It does have a capacitive screen which is a plus. It does seem to me that as far as Touchscreens go Nokia are playing catch up with the rest.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/nokia-x6-656297/review?artc_pg=1
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    Got it in today at work. Its the same as the 5800 bar the camera which is a lot better. Screen is the same size.

Not worth it to be honest, if they put an 8mp camera on it then maybe
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RT1981 wrote: »
    Got it in today at work. Its the same as the 5800 bar the camera which is a lot better. Screen is the same size.

Not worth it to be honest, if they put an 8mp camera on it then maybe

An 8mp camera is not necessarily better than a 5mp unit. A good 3mp camera will beat an average 5mp unit. Still reckon the N73 (3mp) took better pictures than the N95 or N85 - both of which had the same basic camera as on the X6.
    Forum Member
    Has it not got a faster processor and more RAM than the 5800?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    imagegrill wrote: »
    Has it not got a faster processor and more RAM than the 5800?

As of the latest firmware on the 5800, nope.

The X6, 5230, 5530, 5800, N97 and N97 Mini all have the same RAM (128meg) and CPU (434 mHz).

On early firmwares the 5800 was clocked back to 369mHz, but as of later firmwares Nokia have allowed it up to its native speed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this a good replacement for the 5800 though (mine is lost so I need a new one anyway)?

I'm getting it either way really as its on a brilliant contract offer on hotukdeals.com, but it would be good to know!
  • TomDaOneTomDaOne Posts: 11,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got to try one of these in my local O2 shop. I have to say I wasn't very impressed, with the so called capacitive touchscreen. The resistive screen of the Samsung Jet which I also tried in the shop was much more responsive.

I'm prepared to give the X6 another chance though. I only had a quick play with it, would certainly go back and try it again, more thoroughly.
  • marknotgeorgemarknotgeorge Posts: 2,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just got hold of one on Orange as an upgrade. Initial impressions are good. The touchscreen seems sensitive enough for me - as good as Mrs MnG's Tocco Ultra. It's only the 16Gb one - none of the networks seem to offer the 32Gb CWM version. At the moment, UK spec X6s come with a Bluetooth stereo headset (one you can plug your own headphones into) and a £20 Nokia Music voucher, which is nice.

Bad things? Mine seems to have a glitch in the screen, so I'll take it back for a swap in the next week or two, although it's just an annoyance. The facebook app seems fine, although it keeps asking if it can connect. Anyone know how to set it to connect automatically? And Ovi Suite is a bit clunkier than PC Suite.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The capacitive touch screen is okay but it's not as responsive as it should be.

The back cover is also very thin and has a tendancy to creak when pressed. Also the lock / unlock button on the right hand side is so flimsy it feels and sounds like it's going to drop off. If you shake the phone you can hear the lock button rattle - not good!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had a go and its a nice phone, capacitive screen is a major improvement on the resistive one on the 5800, only issue i had was scrolling in the folders through app icons as it did not use the scrolling features that you can use in the menu's, other than that the phone was very responsive and the camera was reasonable.

The only downside for some people may be that there is no memory card slot and that it has gone back to the small pin original Nokia charger "which was the same for the 5800" and the cable that comes with the device is again small which is quite annoying for some.

Its nothing special but an all round ok phone if you like the 5800 then you should have no issues with this one, If you get the Vodafone variant then i would recommend switching the 360 homescreen off and using the Nokia homescreen as the contacts/applications bar that comes as standard on unbranded versions is 10000 times better than the 360 homescreen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The capacitive touch screen is okay but it's not as responsive as it should be.

The back cover is also very thin and has a tendancy to creak when pressed. Also the lock / unlock button on the right hand side is so flimsy it feels and sounds like it's going to drop off. If you shake the phone you can hear the lock button rattle - not good!

The back cover on mine seems solid, and the lock button doesn't rattle on mine.
    BoBaDoB wrote: »
    The only downside for some people may be that there is no memory card slot and that it has gone back to the small pin original Nokia charger "which was the same for the 5800" and the cable that comes with the device is again small which is quite annoying for some.

I noticed the cable - the D in the model number must stand for 'Dinky' :D Luckily, I've got the metre or so long cable that came with my 6220c. The charger isn't so much of an issue as I have that kind of charger in my car, as well as a spare one kicking about.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    An 8mp camera is not necessarily better than a 5mp unit. A good 3mp camera will beat an average 5mp unit. Still reckon the N73 (3mp) took better pictures than the N95 or N85 - both of which had the same basic camera as on the X6.

Yes the N73 has a lovely camera.
  • lakeslakes Posts: 4,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have my x6 for 2 weeks now...i love it
    i have no problems with web pages crashig.
    the sound is out standing and the video cam is one of the best i have seen , even when places on a hd 42inc tv.
    one thing i would say that is bad about the phone is that I am sure the lock button will come off in a year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lakes wrote: »
    i have my x6 for 2 weeks now...i love it
    i have no problems with web pages crashig.
    the sound is out standing and the video cam is one of the best i have seen , even when places on a hd 42inc tv.
    one thing i would say that is bad about the phone is that I am sure the lock button will come off in a year.

The lock button is in roughly the same place as it is on the 5800 and 5230 - therefore there isn't a single suitable car holder for it on the market right now.

I picked up a 5800 designed holder for my 5230, and I have to put the phone in unlocked. Which then presses the camera button. Which meant that I had to hack a hole in the side of the holder so it would work .... utterly ridiculous.

Makes a great satnav though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TomDaOne wrote: »
    I'm quite interested in the X6 myself, though the review at TechRadar doesn't actually make me want to run out and get one. Performance slow downs and web pages crashing are turn offs. It does have a capacitive screen which is a plus. It does seem to me that as far as Touchscreens go Nokia are playing catch up with the rest.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/nokia-x6-656297/review?artc_pg=1

Thats a pretty lousy review. More screen real estate on an iPhone over the X6? How do they work that out. 640x360 vs 320x480? X6 has rougly 30% more pixels to play with.

The Symbian browser isn't particularly good, but at least you can install Opera, which is hugely better.

The single/double tap is quite intuitive, and its consistent across the selection sections of the UI.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    The lock button is in roughly the same place as it is on the 5800 and 5230 - therefore there isn't a single suitable car holder for it on the market right now.

I picked up a 5800 designed holder for my 5230, and I have to put the phone in unlocked. Which then presses the camera button. Which meant that I had to hack a hole in the side of the holder so it would work .... utterly ridiculous.

Makes a great satnav though.

Have you seen the Brodit ones? They look as if they clear the unlock button.