BB Posters Reunited and WELCOME to the lurkers! (Part 53)

Comments

• honeythewitchhoneythewitch Posts: 37,237
    Forum Member
    It did :)

Guffaw in my case. :D
  • Flora PosteFlora Poste Posts: 18,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Guffaw in my case. :D

Loved the 'woman finds hat in tree' article :D
  • ArtemesiaArtemesia Posts: 43,241
    Forum Member
    Loved the 'woman finds hat in tree' article :D

...and who knew that rain makes the grass grow.....:confused:
    I just love to be educated...:p

....and how sad that the hat may have to be destroyed...:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Artemesia wrote: »

I have my hopes pinned on the fact it may have been claimed and saved from such a dreadful fate :D
    Forum Member
    I have my hopes pinned on the fact it may have been claimed and saved from such a dreadful fate :D

I applaud your optimism...I had a wobbly lip just thinking about it...
  • nowahallanowahalla Posts: 10,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Morning everyone. :)

it seems that an awful lot of people just ran their laptops by the battery and continued using their phones,so they saved a big fat ZILCH!
    Scots rool wrote: »
    Morning Eddy :D

Morning Flora. :D

Morning Hicky. :)

Morning Arte :)

Morning honey. :)

Kind of defeated the whole purpose, especially the ones who were 'boasting' of using their laptops/phones/kindles etc during the hour. Some were even swithering whether to leave the laptops plugged in or just use the battery........decisions decisions. :rolleyes:
    Because the power they used had to be replenished from the mains. The point was to save electricity. It didn't.

Afternoon :)

"During the Earth Hour 2013 campaign, 1,699 megawatts of electricity, which would have created an estimated 1,073 tonnes of emissions of carbon dioxide and cost consumers a total of 6.65 million baht, were spared, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration said."

Quoted from the link, would appear to confirm that electricity was saved. Obviously using a laptop/phone whatever isn't ideal but I thought the point was, if nothing else, to raise awareness and to make people think.
    I'm sorry you're so negative about what is meant to be a positive action but, hey, each to their own. I didn't switch off my fridge or cooker either, does that make it a waste of time??
    It's, in my opinion, a symbolic gesture anyway. Up to you what you make of it.

I appear to have a small kitty in my garden, very friendly and very, very skinny :( it's currently snoozing in one of the raised flowerbeds....it's also lame :( However, as it has a sticking plaster rather clumsily fixed to one of it's paws (it has a nasty-looking but clean, wound) it clearly belongs to someone so I've left the gates open if it wishes to leave. If it's still here tomorrow I'll have a word with my friend who's involved in animal rescue here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Homework/dinner/peacekeeping skills required:D
    gotta go now :)

will leave you with this teaser....which one's the real woman..??:D

ttfn
    Forum Member
    nowahalla wrote: »

"During the Earth Hour 2013 campaign, 1,699 megawatts of electricity, which would have created an estimated 1,073 tonnes of emissions of carbon dioxide and cost consumers a total of 6.65 million baht, were spared, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration said."

Quoted from the link, would appear to confirm that electricity was saved. Obviously using a laptop/phone whatever isn't ideal but I thought the point was, if nothing else, to raise awareness and to make people think.
    I'm sorry you're so negative about what is meant to be a positive action but, hey, each to their own. I didn't switch off my fridge or cooker either, does that make it a waste of time??

I appear to have a small kitty in my garden, very friendly and very, very skinny :( it's currently snoozing in one of the raised flowerbeds....it's also lame :( However, as it has a sticking plaster rather clumsily fixed to one of it's paws (it has a nasty-looking but clean, wound) it clearly belongs to someone so I've left the gates open if it wishes to leave. If it's still here tomorrow I'll have a word with my friend who's involved in animal rescue here.

As I said, NO electricity was saved from the phones and laptops used because they had to be RECHARGED.
    Lights turned off saved electricity, as did most other electric appliances.

If people are bothered enough to make a "symbolic gesture" they should( in my opinion )go the whole hog and actually save electricity if it needs saving badly enough to have an "earth hour"
    Forum Member

ttfn

I am sorry you re so negative about what is a positive action for so many. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am sorry you re so negative about what is a positive action for so many. :p

It's the title of the article, not my personal opinion:confused::confused:

anyhoo, world war three over ownership of the last creme egg averted. I ate it:D:D

...whoosh off to oversee dinner......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

ttfn

I am guessing No.3
  • HickyHicky Posts: 50,488
    Forum Member
    Because the power they used had to be replenished from the mains. The point was to save electricity. It didn't.
    I thought it was the lighting and other power using appliances which would save power.
    Laptops and phones are irrelevant they use so little, compared to some lighting and heating/air con systems.
    Bet that lot didn't go international.:-)))))))))))))
    Forum Member
    Hicky wrote: »
    I thought it was the lighting and other power using appliances which would save power.
    Laptops and phones are irrelevant they use so little, compared to some lighting and heating/air con systems.

Bet that lot didn't go international.:-)))))))))))))
    *sighs* yes. If you switch a light off it saves electricity. If you use a laptop by battery you are just borrowing electricity that has to be paid back later, so it saves none.

I think laptops must use a fair amount because they get hot.
  • BarracuteBarracute Posts: 243,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

ttfn

Wow thats hard, no idea! - i'll wait til tomorrow to find out:)
    Forum Member
    *sighs* yes. If you switch a light off it saves electricity. If you use a laptop by battery you are just borrowing electricity that has to be paid back later, so it saves none.

I think laptops must use a fair amount because they get hot.
    One Laptop is probably equal to about 60w, if you have it connected to the power for 8 hrs a day for a week that's around 3,360 watts, which is 3.36kw so depending on how much a kw hour is where you live will determine the cost.
    Say at 0.14p a unit the weeks running would cost 0.46p
    Barracute wrote: »
    Wow thats hard, no idea! - i'll wait til tomorrow to find out:-)
    I usually go by the least beautiful, but as there is a few, maybe No.#1 is the real female.
  • Scots roolScots rool Posts: 276,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Afternoon all :)
    Forum Member
    Scots rool wrote: »
    Afternoon all :-)
    Good Afternoon SR.:-))))))))))))))))

And how much snow have you still got underfoot?

Mine is just in the garden really, but with temperatures stay around zero all week i can't see it going far either.
  • minkskiminkski Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    afternoon all :)

I thought one of the stories referred to the hat being reunited with it's owner (who'd left it on a bus) following the appeal :D
  • tvqueen1905tvqueen1905 Posts: 82,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morning all:)
    Looks like more than just me switched the lights off on Saturday linky to Bangkok post ...:cool:....got a bit hot though...not looking forward to the predicted power cuts next month....

OH back from his 'man-trip' sunburnt, starving and, not unlike Charlie Brown's Pigpen, covered in dust and sand...:D floors in the house are now also lightly dusted with sand, as is every surface he went near, lovely.....sheesh...

...I didn't know where the Wirral was, well, not precisely anyway...:o

Off to kick stuff......

I switched off all lights and all plugs not in use including the route so no internet and i turned laptop off

my choice i don't care what anyone else says as far as i am concerned i did my bit :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How much electricity was used just prior to the 'earth hour', how much was used after? I would imagine numerous people making sure their kettle was boiled, their dinner cooked, all their laptops, kindles, I-pads,phones etc were fully charged. If they hadn't been charged before I would imagine they would certainly have been done afterwards.

Yes I'm sure it did make a lot of people think - oh I must charge my laptops, kindles, I-pads, phones etc, I must boil the kettle, make my dinner, beforehand or afterwards.
    Counter productive IMO.

No need to 'feel sorry for me' because I don't agree with what was purely a symbolic gesture.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good Afternoon SR.:-))))))))))))))))

And how much snow have you still got underfoot?

Mine is just in the garden really, but with temperatures stay around zero all week i can't see it going far either.

Still quite a bit in the garden & at the side of some of the roads. I doubt it will be thawing any time soon. :D

We're a lot better off than THESE people tho'! :eek:
    Forum Member
    One Laptop is probably equal to about 60w, if you have it connected to the power for 8 hrs a day for a week that's around 3,360 watts, which is 3.36kw so depending on how much a kw hour is where you live will determine the cost.
    Say at 0.14p a unit the weeks running would cost 0.46p

I usually go by the least beautiful, but as there is a few, maybe No.#1 is the real female.
    But it still does not save electricity because it needs recharging.
    Mine is much hotter than a light bulb. Do you think there is something wrong with it? :confused:
    I switched off all lights and all plugs not in use including the route so no internet and i turned laptop off

my choice i don't care what anyone else says as far as i am concerned i did my bit :)
    What on EARTH makes you think this is about you?
    If you turned everything off then how could you possibly think this is a critisism of YOU?
    Show me exactly WHERE i criticised people who actually turned stuff off? :mad::mad::mad:
    Forum Member
    Well, I turned nothing off because I didn't know anything about it until after the event.I will count going through the entire winter without heating and suffering several long power cuts as my contribution, though I do realise that it wasn't the point.:D

Even taking into consideration what is ploughed back into research, exploration and maintenance, the power companies make obscene profits and never pass on the price reductions to their consumers...
    Forum Member
    Well, I turned nothing off because I didn't know anything about it until after the event.I will count going through the entire winter without heating and suffering several long power cuts as my contribution, though I do realise that it wasn't the point.:D

Even taking into consideration what is ploughed back into research, exploration and maintenance, the power companies make obscene profits and never pass on the price reductions to their consumers...
    I was unaware of it too, Arte, until TVQ mentioned it the other day, but once i had looked for it it was all over the place, especially twitter so i am not sure how i missed it.
    It would be beyond the call of duty for you to have power cuts left right and centre and then do it again on purpose. :D
  • tvqueen1905tvqueen1905 Posts: 82,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

yeah i agree you have suffered enough

its ridiculous they should pass down to consumers :mad:
This discussion has been closed.