Calorie intake

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,375
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Having kept a record of what I eat for a while, it seems I consume around 1700 calories per day. I'm a bit concerned that I should be eating more, as it is recommended that men consume 2,500 calories per day. I'm normal weight for my height and my BMI is 21. I also run around 10 miles per week.

Should I eat more or, as I'm healthy and haven't lost weight, just carry on with my normal (reasonably healthy) diet?

Comments

• NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,149
    Forum Member
    It does seem rather low for a man and more especially as you run regularly. I suppose it depends on what you eat as well. I wouldn't like to say whether you should increase your intake though if, as you say, you're healthy. How long though have you been consuming that amount? You say you've kept a record for a while depends what you mean by that. If it's not been a year or so, you know if it's only been months it may be that you're not showing any symptoms at the moment but in another few months you may - possibly tiredness/lack of energy, poor skin, I'm sure there are other things, that's just off the top of my head. If it's not been that long and you do notice you're not as healthy in a few months then maybe increase your intake of calories.
    There's quite a big difference between 1,700 and 2,500 and while 2,500 is the recommended intake for men it doesn't mean it has to be that amount, so perhaps less would be ok also my thoughts are that's been the recommended intake for as long as I can remember and it's possible that thinking on calorie intake for men and women may have changed. So if you are concerned do a bit more research.
  • oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you average height and weight? If you're small you will need less than 2,500 that's just an average amount.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies. I'm 5'9 and weigh 10 stone 7. I haven't been keeping a record for long, but it is fairly typical of what I've always eaten. Not suffering with tiredness or lack of energy yet, but maybe I will look for ways to increase my calories by a small amount. Interestingly, my scales suggest I'm over the recommended body fat percentage, so I need to keep an eye on the fat content of my food.
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    2500 is a avg everyone is different

my balanced input is 2000

just eat normally and monitor your weight once a week

if your weight is stable then its not a issue as your balancing input and output

1st rule of thermodynamics ALWAYS applies
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are not feeling tired, lethargic and hungry then I don't see an reason to change what you are eating today.
  • 4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's important to eat a well balanced diet. You should aim for plenty of fruit and vegetables and salads every day, at least five portions. Have plenty of bread, rice, potatoes, pasta and other starchy foods (choosing wholegrain varieties when possible).

Have some some milk and dairy foods every day for calcium and vitamins, also eat some meat, fish, eggs, beans and other non-dairy sources of protein. Oily fish is very good for you.

Have just a small amount of foods high in fat and sugar!

Always have a good breakfast, which might be cereal with milk and fruit, or eggs on wholemeal toast. Snack on fruit, seeds and nuts during the day.
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    If you are not feeling tired, lethargic and hungry then I don't see an reason to change what you are eating today.

^^This. If everything is working as it should, and you feel fine, then don't obsess about calorie counting...
  • fondantfancyfondantfancy Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael, forget calories.

You are healthy and happy with your weight.

Continue eating what's keeping you healthy and slim.

If you lose weight eat a bit more and if you put on weight eat a bit less.

A healthy slim person shouldn't be worrying about calories.

:)
  • thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you taken your frame into account? As a very rough rule of thumb, if you have a large frame (broad skeletal structure, not just fat), you should add 10%, and if you have a petite frame then you can minus 10%. I've got a very broad frame so my intake could be up to 2200 up from the standard women's RDA.

Having said all that, you are healthy and fit. Don't change unless something is wrong!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. I was just a bit concerned that I was consuming below the recommended amount as well as burning off over a 1,000 calories a week through running. But as I have a pretty balanced diet, feel fine and haven't lost weight there's obviously no need to get too caught up in calorie-counting!