Apple Tv

JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am wondering whether to buy an APPLE TV box. The specific reason is that I would like to watch some live baseball games and I understand that with an Apple TV and a sub to MLB I will be able to at not much cost.

So I would be grateful if anyone has tried it and can say if it is OK. I have a smart TV but I don't think I can get MLB on it as it is.

Comments

• Jameseh.Jameseh. Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    You can subscribe to MLB.tv through an Apple TV yes.
  • BlokeeBlokee Posts: 644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep you can access your mlb.tv sub through Apple TV. I do and it works fine.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies, I wonder if you would mind telling me how much the sub is for MLB?
    I ask because various sites give figures from $60 per year to £220 per year, both for the basic service. Usually things are much more expensive in Britain than in the US.
  • MeicYMeicY Posts: 2,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't need an Apple TV - many integrated media streamers will do the job and for a fraction of the price. I have a WDTV Live box (Western Digital) - £69.99 from PC World, has MLB TV, Netflix, Spotify, YouTube, Facebook etc, plus you can use it to stream your own videos, music and pictures from a network hard drive / storage or from a shared space on your network.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/networking/networking/media-streamers/western-digital-tv-live-streaming-media-player-11957492-pdt.html

Other perks include remote control, RSS news feed headlines etc, HD output etc...

Incidentally - the price for MLB.tv drops over the year - full year costs more than post-All Star Game etc, and less for solely postseason.
  • ToneXIRToneXIR Posts: 3,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just purchased an MLB sub at the start of the week, cost me around £50 through uk itunes and through the mlb at bat app I can now have two games going simultaneously one on the tablet, on on the tv. Picture quality is excellent and I have enjoyed just randomly going from game to game, especially yesterday about 8 games on the go, and going to them especially as the approch the last few inning was terrific. The Diamondbacks/Mets into 15 innings was nice. Also MLB sub or not with apple tv you get highlights free. Bye ESPN America..
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK thanks for that. It is not surprising that takeup is fairly low, when they are so coy about the cost.
  • ToneXIRToneXIR Posts: 3,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They don't seem to be coy about the cost from what I've seen, the website tells you and apple tv tells you as well. Another thing the apple mlb feeds only has the score graphic, tonight's ESPN game on at the moment ATL v MIA has Fox Sports logo top right and rolling sports news from Fox at the bottom. MLB tv does not.
  • mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have an apple TV, but I've never bothered with the rounders app.

That being said, the thing is simplicity itself to set up and use, and has some great features. If you are considering the apple TV, and you have a Tesco clubcard and spare points, I would recommend looking into buying it with your vouchers, in the past they have been as low as £35 of Tesco vouchers.

One thing with the apple TV that impressed was the ability to stream pictures and video directly from iOS devices.