Harry Potter movies - casting

BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
Forum Member
✭✭
For fans of the Harry Potter films...

Do you think they got it right with the casting?

Was there any actors you felt fitted their characters perfectly, or did you think they could've been played better by another actor?

I would've preferred Liz Smith to play Mrs Figg in The Order of the Phoenix. The other actress didn't convince me.

Comments

• sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Overall yes they did very well in my opinion. Hagrid was the best by far, but then I'd read that Rowling had written Hagrid with Robbie Coltrane in mind so I guess he fits perfect!!

I also remember reading Hugh Grant was due to play Lockhart in COS but has to withdraw due to other commitments, he even dyed his hair blonde. But Kenneth Branagh was a good replacement for him
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Age wise when it came to casting adult characters they didn't do a particularly good job, many were played by actors decades older then their characters. I mean James and Lily Potter were only supposed to be 21 when they died but were played by actors in their late thirties to mid forties. Aunt Petunia, Sirius, Pettigrew, Bellatrix, Lupin and Snape were also all only in their early to mid thirties in the books but Alan Rickman for example was in his late fifties when cast. But you can forgive that because Alan Rickman WAS Severus Snape. He was perfect for the part and the thought of Tim Roth playing Snape in hindsight is just unthinkable.

The likes of Rickman, Smith, Staunton, Walters, Oldman, Coltrane, Bradley, Fiennes, Isaacs, Hurts, Harris and especially Bonham Carter were all fantastically cast. Even Zoe Wanamaker was perfect in her small role as Madame Hooch and it's such a shame we didn't get to see more of her after the first film.

The only major bit of casting I didn't like was the great Jim Broadbent as Slughorn. Richard Harris will also always be the definitive Dumbledore for me. Gambon was badass in the role but was just not the Albus I read in the books.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the cast were spot on perfect! Though I, too, was a little non-plussed at Jim Broadbent as Slughorn. It was almost as though they were just trying to find a place for Jim somewhere in the cast! I imagined Slughorn to be a lot 'slimier' than that.

As for Lily and James. They needed to cast them older as they had to resemble, to Harry, what his parents would look like to him at that point in time rather than when they died. Well.....they messed all the 'past' stuff up, I suppose!! The books were far better for all of that.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,290
    Forum Member
    The casting was superb.
  • Callum_BrownCallum_Brown Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was always holding out for Kate Winslet to be The Grey Lady in the last one but I agree; Alan Rickman, Helena Bonham Carter and Imelda Staunton were particular favourites of mine overall.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, and Bill Nighy was underused as Scrimgeour. They could've cut out some of the lovey-dovey nonsense in HBP in order to fit him in.
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,687
    Forum Member
    It's about time they did a reboot isn't it?

Regards

Mark
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    I thought they were all great, with the exception of Radcliffe, who I felt wasn't quite right for the role.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Harry potter got their casting spot on

But if i am honest, anyone could of played Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger. Where as Daniel for me made the character of Harry as his own as each film was released.
  • Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    Pretty much everyone who was cast was spot on, but the stand out ones for me (who I actually pictured playing the roles when reading the books) were Alan Rickman and Maggie Smith.

Controversially, I didn't like Daniel Radcliffe as Harry Potter because I don't think Daniel is a very good actor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty much everyone who was cast was spot on, but the stand out ones for me (who I actually pictured playing the roles when reading the books) were Alan Rickman and Maggie Smith.

Controversially, I didn't like Daniel Radcliffe as Harry Potter because I don't think Daniel is a very good actor.

Sadly, I don't think Daniel Radcliffe is the best actor in the world either although he does seem to be improving as he is getting older/more experienced.

But I thought most of the adults in it were really superb.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Most of the adults, particularly the teachers were very well cast. I think the best of the kids was Rupert Grint, he's very believable and relatable in the role. I know it was an unpopular opinion but I liked David Thewlis too, although Remus Lupin is my favourite character so I would have liked him regardless :)
  • PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't a fan of Jim Broadbent for Prof. Slughorn - he was nothing like the character described in the book.
  • droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan Rickman, Helena Bonham Carter and Maggie Smith were my favourites - I'd have loved to see Hugh Grant or Johnny Depp in a role.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They got really lucky with the kids since at least they became convincing in their roles.

That's all they could hope for when casting 10 year olds.
  • BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A few people said John Savident, who was Fred Elliott in Coronation Street, would've been perfect for Slughorn...

People complained about Imelda Staunton's casting but ate their words when they saw her as Umbridge.

They also wanted Eileen Atkins for Mrs Figg but I still think Liz Smith would've been ideal.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They got it perfect i would say, having Rowling involved helped.
  • Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    Sadly, I don't think Daniel Radcliffe is the best actor in the world either although he does seem to be improving as he is getting older/more experienced.

I also don't think Tom Felton is a good actor either, there's something very wooden about his performances.
  • PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also don't think Tom Felton is a good actor either, there's something very wooden about his performances.

I am not a fan of many of the Kids performances if I am honest. Rupert Grint is the only one who is not terrible for me personally. Dan Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Tom Felton are all quite wooden in their delivery, but I feel Dan Radcliffe improved slightly in the later films.

But on a nicer note I do think they all had moments were they actually impressed with their acting its just a shame it wasn't consistent.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not a fan of many of the Kids performances if I am honest. Rupert Grint is the only one who is not terrible for me personally. Dan Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Tom Felton are all quite wooden in their delivery, but I feel Dan Radcliffe improved slightly in the later films.

But on a nicer note I do think they all had moments were they actually impressed with their acting its just a shame it wasn't consistent.

This sums up my thoughts too. I suppose starting out so young, they probably just hadn't enough opportunity to learn how to act well.

On the other hand, they all come across as being a likeable lot in real life. I know I would like to hear that they have all gone on to do well no matter what they end up doing as adults.
  • VashettiVashetti Posts: 2,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael Gambon needed better direction. He admitted he hadn't read the books and therefore the director(s) should have taken him aside and explained who Dumbledore was and how he behaved.

He's a fine actor but he just was not Dumbledore.

Evanna Lynch is Luna Lovegood.

Dan was great as Harry and I always found him convincing.
    Rupert was fine but wasn't given much to do in the later films.
    Emma was of course the perfect Hermione.

Bonnie Wright could have been great as Ginny with better direction. They seemed to want her character to be shy and quiet which goes wholly against the book, but there we go. I wasn't convinced by the Harry/Ginny romance in either the books or the films.

Gary Oldman
    Richard Griffiths (RIP)
    Fiona Shaw
    Richard Harris (RIP)
    Pam Ferris
    Ralph Fiennes
    Helena Bonham Carter
    Maggie Smith
    Brendan Gleeson
    Alan Rickman
    Emma Thompson
    Jason Isaacs
    Mark Williams
    Julie Walters
    = all perfect

All in all, phenomenal casting throughout.

The major dud was David Tennant in Goblet of Fire. Don't understand the fascination with this man. Awful, awful actor.
  • SpacedoneSpacedone Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This sums up my thoughts too. I suppose starting out so young, they probably just hadn't enough opportunity to learn how to act well.

On the other hand, they all come across as being a likeable lot in real life. I know I would like to hear that they have all gone on to do well no matter what they end up doing as adults.

Let's be fair all of the kids did pretty well, Daniel Radcliffe especially (his role required greater emotional range). It's just that their inexperience stands out when they're put alongside the cream of British acting talent.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vashetti wrote: »
    Emma was of course the perfect Hermione.

I think she was a terrible Hermione to be honest, I loved Hermione in the books but she was incredibly wooden and one dimensional in the films. didn't like her portrayal at all to be honest
  • RednellRednell Posts: 2,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spacedone wrote: »
    Let's be fair all of the kids did pretty well, Daniel Radcliffe especially (his role required greater emotional range). It's just that their inexperience stands out when they're put alongside the cream of British acting talent.

I hadn't thought of it that way - and for what it's worth, I agree with you.

Out of the kids, I didn't mind Daniel Radcliffe, and I really liked Rupert Grint. Emma Watson I thought a little too pretty for Hermione, and I disliked Bonnie as Ginny. The guy who played Neville, I thought was great.

I'm inclined to agree that Jim Broadbent, fantastic actor that he is, wasn't greasy/slimy enough.

Somewhat controversially, and I love Gary Oldman, I think he's a great actor, but to me he wasn't Sirius. I'm trying to think why I don't like him in the role, but it's difficult for me to put my finger on it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I'm one of the few who prefer Gambon's Dumbledore to Harris'. There would be no way that Harris would be able to manage the battle scenes in OOTP & HBP and I thought Gambon was much more eccentric and zany, which I enjoyed.

Plus, I believe that Gambon had more chemistry with Radcliffe and Rickman et al.