Options

MOT failed on parking brake

PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi,

First of all, I know, I know. Never go to Kwik Fit. Alas, I did. I'm kind of in the middle of nowhere and it was the only one in reasonable distance. They diagnosed a problem I had with the hand brake in the winter for free and they were right, and I got Hyundai to fix it under the guarantee, so I guess I kinda trusted them after that.

Anyway. My MOT failed because "offside rear parking brake recording little to no effect". The Kwik Fit guy said that the cable has "frozen solid". He's quoted me between £120-£150 to replace it (he couldn't check specifically because I had it done on a bank holiday and suppliers were closed). My question is, would I have felt it if the parking brake is that bad? Or can that kind of problem creep up on you? My parking brake failed (caliper had to be replaced) in the winter and that was only affecting one wheel, but I noticed it. Even on the tiniest of inclines, my car was sliding. It didn't feel right when I pulled on the actual hand brake, either.

This time I can't feel any difference at all. On the way back I stopped on the steepest hill I could find and it didn't move at all, not even when the car was given a slight push.

I'm asking how likely it is to have that problem without noticing it because I'm trying to decide whether it's worth the risk of paying for an additional quote. They're quoting me £120-£150, but if they're RIGHT, it's going to cost me £50 to diagnose elsewhere, than another MOT at £30, then the cost of fixing it. I'm not sure whether to cut my losses or fight it but risk losing more.

Comments

• Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Jack it up at the non-working wheel and see if you can turn the wheel with the brake on. That'll establish whether it's having 'little or no effect'.

If the calliper is reported as being seized the rear disc should show signs of surface rust, and you ought to have noticed unequal braking with maybe a slight pull to the opposite side.

Why not pop back to Kwikfit and ask them to show you it not working?
  • Options
    michael37michael37 Posts: 2,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You would not necessarily notice a seized handbrake cable - it really depends on how far gone it is. SnrDev's suggestion is worth trying but unless you are very strong it is possible for even a faulty brake to generate enough resistance to stop you moving it.

The only way to be certain is to carry out a brake force imbalance test on a rolling road, or to strip the mechanism down and inspect the components (not recommended unless understand how a car's braking systems work).

If you don't trust Kwik Fit I'd suggest finding someone you can trust. Small independent garages are often cheaper than the fast fit centers (even for tyres), and as they rely heavily on regular repeat customers they tend to be more reliable and treat customers better.

Local councils MOT testers are often open to the public and as they do not do repairs there is no incentive for them fail good cars. The downside is that if they do fail it you have to find somewhere else to repair it.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I failed on this before, hadn't noticed the problem before. I'd had new callipers fitted and the cable had been over adjusted, I think it actually snapped. The test man (in NI MOT is carried out by the local authority) told me you can tell if you drive down the road and pull the handbrake and only see one skidmark.

I had it fixed at a country garage, took about an hour and cost very little. You shouldn't have to pay anyone to diagnose the problem, just take it to them and tell them there's a problem with the handbrake cable and it needs freeing up. You don't need any new parts so I'm not sure where they're getting £150 from.
  • Options
    Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Follow the excellent advice that SnrDev gave earlier in the thread!

To add to that....the handbrake may feel unusually slack and then tight the last notch or two.
    From my own experience with these rear calipers they do stick and cause problems with the handbrake....It's very unusual that the cable is seized, but still possible.
    Again, from my own experience, the right hand side is the most common for sticking....you could get yourself a torch and get someone to work the handbrake on and off and look behind the wheels to see if the cable is pulling the brake on and releasing it.
    You may see that one of the pivots is not returning to its resting position which means that as you pull the handbrake on, the cable is not being pulled because it is already in the "on" position.

It's also possible that the brake pads have seized solid in their carrier.

I could give you a detailed method of freeing up the caliper if that is what the problem is.
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What sort of car is it ? Some Peugeots have a handbrake lever at the driver's right hand (e.g by the door) and then have a strange combination of cables, splitters, etc., so their is a separate cable going to the left and right back wheels.

Sometimes they do seize, but as one side works fine then it will hold fine on a hill.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    It is a design fault, they used the worst type of caliper.

Handbrake calipers are the worst thing ever, minidrums inside the disc are better but cost more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnny_t wrote: »
    What sort of car is it ? Some Peugeots have a handbrake lever at the driver's right hand (e.g by the door) and then have a strange combination of cables, splitters, etc., so their is a separate cable going to the left and right back wheels.

Sometimes they do seize, but as one side works fine then it will hold fine on a hill.

The only modern Peugeot I know of that has the handbrake by the drivers right hand is the Peugeot Expert van 2004 to 2007.

The OP has a Hyundai.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a design fault, they used the worst type of caliper.

Handbrake calipers are the worst thing ever, minidrums inside the disc are better but cost more.

Agreed, minidrums are better, but not best!

As the caliper and disc has to be removed for the checking of the shoes and lubricating of the mechanism maintenance is often ignored.
  • Options
    getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Psychosis wrote: »
    Hi,

First of all, I know, I know. Never go to Kwik Fit.

Worth repeating. ;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Waj_100 wrote: »
    Agreed, minidrums are better, but not best!

As the caliper and disc has to be removed for the checking of the shoes and lubricating of the mechanism maintenance is often ignored.

But still best out of drums, discs and minidrums, and those horrible handbrake calipers
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've found Kwik Fits to be nothing but filled with liars, so I would seek a second opinion based on that alone.

The irony is they advertise themselves as 'safer' than independent garages because they're a chain but that logic just makes no sense in the real world.

Genuine local mechanics want to protect their reputation, wheras Kwik-Fit, as a chain, is far too big to give a shit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get my car MOT 'ed at a small garage run by two mechanics who have been in the trade for over 30 years.

I always wait for it to be done, and they call me at the end to point out any problems while it's still up on the hoist.

They charge the full fee, but there is no extra charge for a re-test.

Quite a lot of places are doing offers on MOT these days, but I'd rather put some trust in fully trained and experienced mechanics than up-graded tyre fitters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mystery solved. It wasn't Kwik Fit's fault after all. A faulty part that Hyundai replaced was faulty again and Hyundai are fixing it. Than you for all your support :)
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    Mystery solved. It wasn't Kwik Fit's fault after all. A faulty part that Hyundai replaced was faulty again and Hyundai are fixing it. Than you for all your support :)

Three cheers for Kwik Fit !.......... Hip Hip...........;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't change the fact that you are far better off dealing with a properly trained mechanic than a Kwik Fit Fitter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peter_CJ wrote: »
    Doesn't change the fact that you are far better off dealing with a properly trained mechanic than a Kwik Fit Fitter.

Oh, I know :) But sometimes circumstances must.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What they knock off the MOT fee, they get back many times over in their repair charges.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It appears that the problem is related to the caliper then?
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A common MOT failure is the handbrake, main reason is that no-one uses the bloody thing [ especially on automatic cars ] so when the MOT comes round, presto hey, the bloody thing won't go on because it's seized up, or when it IS applied, it won't come off, resulting in a failure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Centaurion wrote: »
    A common MOT failure is the handbrake, main reason is that no-one uses the bloody thing [ especially on automatic cars ] so when the MOT comes round, presto hey, the bloody thing won't go on because it's seized up, or when it IS applied, it won't come off, resulting in a failure.

Do you live in Holland? ;-)
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Look for the thread in GD about holding the car on the footbrake in traffic and at the lights for numerous weak excuses for not using the handbrake.
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    bri160356 wrote: »
    Do you live in Holland? ;-)

I drive automatics and never ever use the handbrake
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jackol wrote: »
    I drive automatics and never ever use the handbrake

What about a 'hill start';-)?