£240m spent on schools where no places were needed

Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.theguardian.com/education

What a scandalous waste of public money. And for those who might argue the case for new schools where standards are low you should be aware that free schools are failing ofsted with greater frequency than maintained schools!

The public accounts committee were very critical of the financial oversight of these schools.

So much for austerity britain.

Comments

• MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The government has spent £240m on free schools in areas that don't need them

Obviously the parents in those areas saw a demand..
    "We are concerned that applications for new free schools are not emerging from areas of greatest forecast need for more and better school places," said Margaret Hodge, the Labour MP who chairs the committee.

That surely is up to the parents - if there is no demand then there is bound to be no applications.

I somehow get the feeling that Ms Hodge doesn't understand the rational behind Free Schools.
  • PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Majlis wrote: »
    That surely is up to the parents - if there is no demand then there is bound to be no applications.

I somehow get the feeling that Ms Hodge doesn't understand the rational behind Free Schools.

If schools are already under-filled, that's going to have an impact on the quality of education they can deliver. Free schools being set up in areas where there are no places needed are impacting the quality of education in the region as a whole.
  • Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Obviously the parents in those areas saw a demand..

I might see a demand for a service - it doesn't mean the government can afford to fund it from tax revenue or that it offers good value for money.

True - and that's why the majority of free schools are operating well below full capacity and are having to be funded for diseconomies of scale for several years.
    I somehow get the feeling that Ms Hodge doesn't understand the rational behind Free Schools

I somehow get the feeling she understands the ideology all too well - but that the committee (cross party) were unconvinced by Gove's defence of it. I somehow get the feeling that Gove couldn't care less about how public money is spent or democracy as long as he pushes his pet projects through unchallenged.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Psychosis wrote: »
    If schools are already under-filled, that's going to have an impact on the quality of education they can deliver. Free schools being set up in areas where there are no places needed are impacting the quality of education in the region as a whole.

Indeed. How can the government believe it makes any sense to have schools opening near other half full schools at a cost of millions instead of spending the available funding improving the standards in existing schools?

I thought he had a magic bullet for underperformance - academy conversion? Why isn't he using it in areas where free schools are opening if it's so successful (clue - it isn't!)
  • nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    From 2009, ie under Labour.
    Some Academies - the independent state schools the government says are "popular with parents" - have hundreds of empty places.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nomad2king wrote: »

They were wrong too!
  • Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This can't be true, because Dave and Mike promised it us it wouldn't be like that at all.....oh, sorry.......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Psychosis wrote: »

Perhaps the quality of education in those areas is already so bad that the parents demand an alternative - and Free Schools fuel that demand.

After all if the parents were already satisfied with the quality of education supplied by the State in the existing schools there would be no demand for something else.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might see a demand for a service - it doesn't mean the government can afford to fund it from tax revenue or that it offers good value for money.

Those parents are taxpayers, if they feel that the service offered is not good enough why on earth should they not demand an alternative?

True - and that's why the majority of free schools are operating well below full capacity and are having to be funded for diseconomies of scale for several years.

Personally I cant an issue with schools not operating at full capacity - after all we see stories every week of parents who cannot get their choice of school because the one they want is full.
    I somehow get the feeling she understands the ideology all too well - but that the committee (cross party) were unconvinced by Gove's defence of it. I somehow get the feeling that Gove couldn't care less about how public money is spent or democracy as long as he pushes his pet projects through unchallenged.

I somehow get the feeling that yet again you are more interested in the welfare of the Unions and Educational establishment than what parents want for their children.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those parents are taxpayers, if they feel that the service offered is not good enough why on earth should they not demand an alternative?

Personally I cant an issue with schools not operating at full capacity - after all we see stories every week of parents who cannot get their choice of school because the one they want is full.

I somehow get the feeling that yet again you are more interested in the welfare of the Unions and Educational establishment than what parents want for their children.
    Where have I said anything about staff or 'the establishment'. I am criticising a policy which wastes scarce resources. Giving one group of parents what they want is at the expense of the educational opportunities of others. I would care less about that if they were actually any better than other schools but the facts say otherwise. Most of these schools are not being set up through parental demand in any event. The majority are set up by faith groups, existing edubusinesses or individual teachers looking to get themselves a lucrative headship. Some are roaming around looking for a community to serve and not the other way round. It's a nonsense policy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps the quality of education in those areas is already so bad that the parents demand an alternative - and Free Schools fuel that demand.

After all if the parents were already satisfied with the quality of education supplied by the State in the existing schools there would be no demand for something else.

If what parents demand is higher quality why not improve what's already there. If the schools available are so poor how can Gove in good conscience leave children in them. Spend those millions improving teaching standards, leadership and governance.

It's Gove who is obsessed with the unions and the establishment. He's got his eye on the wrong ball.