Victoria Derbyshire Axed by 5Live

ftvftv Posts: 31,668
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Sad news that Radio 5 is axeing Victoria Derbyshire and Richard Bacon along with Sheila Fogarty, according to The Sun. Derbyshire says she has been offered ''a brilliant opportunity too good to turn down'' which is one way of describing it. Bacon will concentrate on TV work. Adrian Chiles is to host the morning show on Mondays and Tuesdays as his ITV contract is now non-exclusive. The shake-up takes effect in October. Tony Livesey joins Anna Foster on Drivetime.Derbyshire was renowned for finding reasons not to broadcast her show from Salford, 5Live's base, and remaining in London.

Comments

• radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Sad news that Radio 5 is axeing Victoria Derbyshire and Richard Bacon along with Sheila Fogarty, according to The Sun. Derbyshire says she has been offered ''a brilliant opportunity too good to turn down'' which is one way of describing it. Bacon will concentrate on TV work. Adrian Chiles is to host the morning show on Mondays and Tuesdays as his ITV contract is now non-exclusive. The shake-up takes effect in October. Tony Livesey joins Anna Foster on Drivetime.Derbyshire was renowned for finding reasons not to broadcast her show from Salford, 5Live's base, and remaining in London.

Our household has opened the bubbly already. We can leave the radio tuned to Five as from October. We were getting to like Lbc . however a Derbyshire free Five is superior.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    Hmmm... http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/jul/01/bbc-radio-5-live-richard-bacon-leave-victoria-derbyshire-shelagh-fogarty

"It is thought 5 Live management have issued an edict that all new talent joining the station must live in the north-west of England."
  • Gurj73Gurj73 Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Georgie Thompson is joining Radio 5 live for a weekend show called ' Fighting Talk ' that she will be hosting. She announced this on Twitter yesterday.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Hmmm... http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/jul/01/bbc-radio-5-live-richard-bacon-leave-victoria-derbyshire-shelagh-fogarty

"It is thought 5 Live management have issued an edict that all new talent joining the station must live in the north-west of England."

If you turn up for work as and when required I'm not sure a management can insist
    on you living in a particular place - the vast majority of people who worked at TV Centre did not live in the Borough of Hammersmith and many on shifts lived miles away from London.It was notable that when 5Live moved to Salford managers did not lead by example in moving to the area.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a radio forum. I doubt some staff changes at Five Live constitutes a major broadcasting issue.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She hasn't been axed she is moving to a job with BBC News - just because people leave doesn't mean they have been axed.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you turn up for work as and when required I'm not sure a management can insist
    on you living in a particular place - the vast majority of people who worked at TV Centre did not live in the Borough of Hammersmith and many on shifts lived miles away from London.It was notable that when 5Live moved to Salford managers did not lead by example in moving to the area.

I would agree, and surely such a requirement could be deemed to be discriminatory (and I am sure that the appropriate Union would have a view on that).

It matters little where you live, as long as it does not impair your ability to do the job that you are employed to do, and as long as you are able to turn up at your workplace at the appropriate times
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    There is a radio forum. I doubt some staff changes at Five Live constitutes a major broadcasting issue.
    Thank you for your valuable input George.

Broadcasting

For discussion of TV channels, companies and other broadcasting issues.
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    She hasn't been axed she is moving to a job with BBC News - just because people leave doesn't mean they have been axed.

But its in The Sun so it must be true....and FTV started a thread about it so it has to be true. ;-)

Some people love gossip and hate the truth Steve.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    on you living in a particular .
    When my company relocated in the 80s it insisted that all employees moved to within an hour's travel of the new site.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But its in The Sun so it must be true....and FTV started a thread about it so it has to be true. ;-)

Some people love gossip and hate the truth Steve.

Confirmed by the BBC.......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ariel/28110017

Gossip: Casual conversation or unproven reports (Oxford English Dictionary 2008)
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Gossip: Casual conversation or unproven reports (Oxford English Dictionary 2008)

You said they had been axed it doesn't say they have been axed.
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

so NOT axed then ?

gossip : can be untrue
  • 4-4-24-4-2 Posts: 5,413
    Forum Member

And it was yesterday's story.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Thank you for your valuable input George.

Broadcasting

For discussion of TV channels, companies and other broadcasting issues.

So its none of the above?

Presenters change all the time. There is an active Radio 5 Live thread in the radio forum already discussing this. Thought you might like to know. Or maybe not

PS Can the OP share photos of the "axing" of said presenter. That MIGHT be worthy of a thread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So its none of the above?

Presenters change all the time. There is an active Radio 5 Live thread in the radio forum already discussing this. Thought you might like to know. Or maybe not
    Thank you, but I did know. I have contributed there myself.

And i think that an allegation that a job in broadcasting is dependant upon the person living in a designated area IS a broadcasting issue.

But thanks for your obvious concern & interest in this matter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Thank you, but I did know. I have contributed there myself.

And i think that an allegation that a job in broadcasting is dependant upon the person living in a designated area IS a broadcasting issue.

But thanks for your obvious concern & interest in this matter.

The head of BBC North one Peter Salmon, who has recently been given the title of Director England as well, gives his permanent address in London.As London is about 200 miles from his office in Salford it can't be relevant that employees have to live within a designated area. Providing he turns up at work when required I can't see it being an issue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would agree. I know that you have previously made a point about managers leading from the front (and there is some merit in that viewpoint), but what matters in this case is whether his domestic arrangements affect his ability to do the job. And the same should apply to other employees at other levels.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "axed" is a slang term meaning "no longer having a particular job by decision of the management".

We don't actually know that this is what transpired. It probably did, but unless there is certainty the word axed shouldn't really be used.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I heard that the replacement is Adrian Chiles.
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I heard that the replacement is Adrian Chiles.

He is doing Monday & Tuesday, Peter Allen is doing Wednesday to Friday.

It's been suggested that Victoria Derbyshire has been offered the vacant Newsnight presenter's job (not yet confirmed). It's extremely unlikely that she has been axed against her wishes, she is a multi-Gold Academy award winning presenter.

It's more likely that she applied for a job in BBC News because of the Salford situation and was successful.
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure this is yesterday's story and it was discussed at length in the radio forum, so why has a thread appeared 24 hours late here?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps she sees a move into television as the way forward now. I'm not sure that she would be the right one for Newsnight though (sorry, I'm still comparing any potential candidates with Paxman).
  • markmagmarkmag Posts: 3,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

For future reference the best action in this scenario is to just hit Alert on the first post - advise that it's a duplicate thread of the one in the radio forum, and one of DS's beautiful little elves will sort that out straight away and merge it across. Sarky comments just give the thread a life of it's own and now we're stuck with it. :D
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's roughly what was said on the Media Show today, how many broadcasters working in London don't live there. I would not be surprised if there are a few who travel further than the ones who have not wanted to moved to Salford.