Weird kids show 'In The Night Garden'. Has anyone else seen it?

SparkleBabeSparkleBabe Posts: 17,065
Forum Member
✭✭
I came across it the other week whilst flicking channels. My god, its like Teletubbies on acid! Its plain weird.

Its full of weird creatures. One is a blue thing called 'Iggle Piggle' and another called 'Makka Pakka'. Who pushes a pram and says 'Makka Pakka, Makka Pakka' over and over again. Then there are these baby like creatures who live in an air ship type of thing. Plus these tiny soldier like things.

Its as random as hell! I know its aimed at toddlers, but bloody hell!

Comments

• diyqueendiyqueen Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i love kids tv but that is utter rubbish
    it made me want to smash the tv
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big question...

Were any of the characters carrying a handbag?

K
  • julia1411julia1411 Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    Tellytubbies on acid doesn't even come close. :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    :D I think its absolutley fantastic and my 3yr old son and nephews love it plus it gives us adults a right old giggle :D:D:D

The air craft is called the ninky nog and it on cbbc at about 6 pm.
  • madrwyddygryfmadrwyddygryf Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    I saw it a few weeks ago and it is seriously trippy. Makka Pakka was going round washing face. But I couldn't stop watching it.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    julia1411 wrote: »
    Tellytubbies on acid doesn't even come close. :eek:

I thought that as well Upsy Daisy running around after a bed sounded very much like Po chasing a scooter saying the same words over and over. Im not sure what its teaching the kids but they seem to like it. :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awful programme, my four and two year olds wont watch it so it must be bad.
  • SparkleBabeSparkleBabe Posts: 17,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw it a few weeks ago and it is seriously trippy. Makka Pakka was going round washing face. But I couldn't stop watching it.....

I know. It sort of hooked me in and I couldn't stop watching it either. Its utterly bizare!!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 4 year old niece loves it!! Ive seen it a couple of times, looks quite odd... is it made by the Teletubbies people?
  • wombatofludhamwombatofludham Posts: 3,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is made by the same people as Tellytubbies.

It's certainly bizarre - although I do like the Ninky-nonk. Now if Virgin ran those along the West Coast line they'd empty the M6 in a week...
  • julia1411julia1411 Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    Makka Pakka was going round washing face.

With a dry sponge that he didn't clean in between washing different peoples faces! LOL! My 5 year old was very amused about that. And why can't he carry the sponge?:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    julia1411 wrote: »
    With a dry sponge that he didn't clean in between washing different peoples faces! LOL! My 5 year old was very amused about that. And why can't he carry the sponge?:rolleyes:

Because he likes to use his Og Pog!

Seriously though my 2 year old loves it, she cracks up at the gaseous noises that come out of the Pinky Ponk (airship).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry but I think this programme is a work of genius! My toddler was a late talker and even he remembered the names of the characters quickly, and he talks about them all the time now. My boys watch it every night before bedtime.

Its very bizarre but wonderful!
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bring back the Teletubbies - I used to love that! In The Night Garden is bizarre.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I came across it the other week whilst flicking channels. My god, its like Teletubbies on acid! Its plain weird.

Its full of weird creatures. One is a blue thing called 'Iggle Piggle' and another called 'Makka Pakka'. Who pushes a pram and says 'Makka Pakka, Makka Pakka' over and over again. Then there are these baby like creatures who live in an air ship type of thing. Plus these tiny soldier like things.

Its as random as hell! I know its aimed at toddlers, but bloody hell!

Not random or strange when you know the real meaning....
    Check it out and give a comment:
    http://inthenightgardenexplained.blogspot.com/

Jammy
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely nothing can be weirder than Bill and Ben? And those sexual subtexts in Captain Pugwash .....
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    And those sexual subtexts in Captain Pugwash .....

The sexual subtexts in Captain Pugwash are an urban myth made up many years after Captain Pugwash was on TV. The cabin boy's name was Tom, not Willie and there was no one in it called Master Bates.
  • M. TouretteM. Tourette Posts: 6,967
    Forum Member
    The sexual subtexts in Captain Pugwash are an urban myth made up many years after Captain Pugwash was on TV. The cabin boy's name was Tom, not Willie and there was no one in it called Master Bates.

The Guardian were sued for saying Captain Pugwash had sexual subtexts but one pirate was called Willie and there was a character called Master Mate.

John Ryan who created Pugwash also worked with Ann Wood the creator of Night Garden and Teletubbies and he also worked with Peter Hawkins who was the voices for Bill and Ben so these things all go round in circles,
  • Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the most surreal show. I caught a glimpse of it when I was just leaving the room once, and I thought I'd dreamt it. I looked for it again when I got home and found that it was in fact real :eek:
  • jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    My 16 month old grandson loves it !! I get my son, his daddy to record it so that he can see it when he wakes from a nap when I'm babysitting him. He's even got his own iggle piggle that talks.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    I rather like the fact that the characters are on different scales, but know each other.
    It's like a human talking to a mouse, in terms of scale.

Rather dusty old thread too.
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Russell Howard on his show thought the same.
    Used to work in Toys R us, and it was one of the most bought/loved show, and everyone bought their items and products. I watched the show and I was shocked at how weird it was. It was scary!!
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd pay good money to see a David Lynch directed feature film of it.
  • phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    Night Garden: Fire Walk With Me :D
  • SurferfishSurferfish Posts: 7,659
    Forum Member
    I used to watch it with my young son and we both loved it.

I found the weird characters and simplistic stories quite enchanting for some reason. And the end of every episode when Iggle piggle sails off in his boat and the garden turns into the night sky always left me quite sad.

As he got older my son grew out of it and thought it was babyish (as boys tend to do), but worryingly I still found myself watching it alone if I was ever flicking through the channels and found it on. :o

Is there something wrong with me??? :eek: