Doc Martin (Part 11 — Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ggo85 wrote: »
    YEARS AGO, Star Trek had to deal with the issue of fan fiction. I think this was one of the -- if not THE -- first shows to have a huge FF following/audience. Rather than sue the writers, the powers that be (TPTB) actually embraced it. This was in the day when you had to type on your typewriter and mail out the fanzines. Long before YT and the like.

Made the ST shows hugely popular -- brought in new fans, led to more series . . . ad nauseum. I don't think they suffered -- hundreds of books, hundreds of conventions, 5 TV series. 11 movies, who knows how many DVDs . . . and now a relaunch of ST (the "Reboot").

Whoever's ** doing this to DM, I can only say that they should see how fan involvement has made/saved/promoted shows such as the ST franchise, which has lasted more than 45 years. In the end, everyone makes more money (other than the fans who do all this stuff for free).

Shortsighted . . . and, in the end, stupid. :mad: (Even if legally correct).

I was one of the many, many authors who entered the fan fiction anthology contests. They ran for 10 years (I entered the last) and the stories chosen were published on PAPER as anthologies. It was that effort that got me into FF. First Star Trek, then Magnum, pi, and then Doc Martin.

I have a friend who paid for her first computer with money earned thru Quantum Leap FFR stories, which were bought for a QL Fanzine, published with permission of the QL owners. So these things can work out.

** I assume that the 'take down' orders were centered on the full vids, then derivative videos, and so forth. I'm certain they were also concerned over the use of music.

Rob
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    TxBelle wrote: »
    I got the music vids to play, but Ive looked at many channels that have DM episodes and they are gone.:mad:

YouTube will allow exceptions to the copyright law for music. They have agreements with some of the record companies that own the music. Under these agreements, they will establish a link that allows viewers of the video to purchase the music from on-line music sellers, such as iTunes and Amazon. People who view the vids can click on the link and purchase the music track. This is how the video is "monetized", with YT and the record companies sharing any resulting proceeds. However, not all of the owners of the music will agree to this arrangement. I noticed that one of the DM-LG music vids was taken down some time ago because of music copyright issues.

In other cases, a video may be monetized by requiring viewers to sit through commercials during the video - as per Digital Rights Group and other providers. You can watch a Doc Martin episode for free if you're willing to watch the commercials.
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you to everyone who put the DM videos on YouTube. I learned to love the show from watching them. If they weren't there, I would most likely not have become a big fan of the show. I would not have gone to Port Isaac this summer to see the filming, nor bought the DVD set, nor bought the cd that Martin Clunes says will change my life, nor donated to my local PBS station. You did not benefit monetarily from me, but others have.

The videos aren't destroyed stone statues that can't be replaced ever. Maybe BP will figure out a way to get the content on the web in an easily accessible format. They must realize the fans want to see the show. I suppose they want control of the content and want to make money from it. They are clever people and let's hope they do business with other clever people and are not making decisions based soley on ways to squeeze every potential dollar out of the show. The karma of that could come back to haunt them. The show will lose some of its magic if their motives are too skewed towards greed. IMHO. I am giving them the benefit of the doubt that this is not the case until it is proven otherwise.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a dispute process for dealing with copyright claims on YT. It works reasonably well for audio disputes as there seems to be a bit of a loop hole in the copyright law in that respect, however when it comes to visual content I'm not so sure and can actually end up getting the poster in a lot more trouble if they aren't successful. It is extremely frustrating though that these claims aren't even coming from copyright owners. It seemed abundantly clear that certainly MC had no problems with DM clips appearing on Youtube, such a shame. As they say... all good things come to an end. :(

As a new member just wanted to add my thanks to all of those who have contributed to the Youtube postings in the past. Whilst I own every MC DVD I can lay my hands on, your posting and creations have given me so much pleasure. Thank You All X
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    This could end up really backfiring on the show in the USA. Not many people know about it, and word of mouth is really the best way to spread it for this show. DA is shown @ same time/night across USA but DM is different in every market, not promoted nationally, etc.I think this coiuld really take the wind out of the sails with regards to the momentum of the show here. It's really misguided on the part of the executives who are making this decision, IMO. The YouTube community gave the show a national momentum, now going back and building it one market at a time may prove too difficult. It's disingenuous to say the YouTube vids were taking money out of the pockets of people. It is a fraction of the potential audience who is on YouTube. The vast majority of potential viewers for this show are never going to watch it on YouTube and are going to wait for it to air on tv. It's the YouTube audience that builds excitement for the show. They are biting the hand that feeds them.

You're probably correct, but I'm afraid that it's all part of a bigger war that digital rights companies are waging against the internet - and DM is a big prize for them:mad::mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to a charity fete that MC was opening on Tuesday. He was relaxed and friendly and I managed to chat to him briefly. I also took some photos on my phone which I can't get on to my computer because I can't find my lead. However, I decided that you'd probably like to hear about it even without photos.
    I had 2 very short chats with him and in the 1st told him how much I enjoyed DM, admired him etc and then asked him whether they would be doing S6. He replied,
    'Probably. I think we'll have to.'
    So, I think S6 is almost certainly happening. :D:D:D:D
    (The 2nd time I spoke to him, he wrote a Christmas card for my M-I-L who is housebound.)
    I was really impressed because he'd opened a small charity fete and instead of just staying for 10 minutes, he stayed for well over an hour, chatting, buying things, signing autographs and posing for photographs and was absolutely lovely to everyone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    madmother wrote: »
    I went to a charity fete that MC was opening on Tuesday. He was relaxed and friendly and I managed to chat to him briefly. I also took some photos on my phone which I can't get on to my computer because I can't find my lead. However, I decided that you'd probably like to hear about it even without photos.
    I had 2 very short chats with him and in the 1st told him how much I enjoyed DM, admired him etc and then asked him whether they would be doing S6. He replied,
    (The 2nd time I spoke to him, he wrote a Christmas card for my M-I-L who is housebound.)
    I was really impressed because he'd opened a small charity fete and instead of just staying for 10 minutes, he stayed for well over an hour, chatting, buying things, signing autographs and posing for photographs and was absolutely lovely to everyone.

Madmother - you've made my day with this news! He's a top bloke, Mr C!

Was the "probably - I think we'll have to" said with enthusiasm or trepidation?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Probably. I think we'll have to.'So, I think S6 is almost certainly happening. :D:D:D:D(The 2nd time I spoke to him, he wrote a Christmas card for my M-I-L who is housebound.)

A genuine guy - and brilliant news - now I can sleep at night again:D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 419
    Forum Member

Wow....thank you so much for this news....its made my day...:D:D:D:D:D
  • TxBelleTxBelle Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What great news to hear at this point in time. Thank you MM for sharing that with us.:):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alestorm wrote: »
    Madmother - you've made my day with this news! He's a top bloke, Mr C!

Was the "probably - I think we'll have to" said with enthusiasm or trepidation?
    simplyred wrote: »
    A genuine guy - and brilliant news - now I can sleep at night again:D:D:D
    daisymay wrote: »
    Wow....thank you so much for this news....its made my day...:D:D:D:D:D

It made my day too. :):)

I'd say that he was somewhere between the two. It came over as fairly happy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TxBelle wrote: »
    What great news to hear at this point in time. Thank you MM for sharing that with us.:):)

You're welcome. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    MM you just made my day....its Thanksgiving Day here in the US and I now have one more thing to be thankful for...NO!!! make that 2..I am thankful that people like you keep all of us posted on DM and, secondly, I am thankful that you got that statement out of MC!!!! What a nice man he is....Thanks again MM......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MM you just made my day....its Thanksgiving Day here in the US and I now have one more thing to be thankful for...NO!!! make that 2..I am thankful that people like you keep all of us posted on DM and, secondly, I am thankful that you got that statement out of MC!!!! What a nice man he is....Thanks again MM......

Yes, he was an absolute sweetheart.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wow, wow, wow! How exciting for you Madmother.

What a coup to know there will be a s 6. Thank you for letting us know. I hope YouTube will be over their crack down by then :cool::cool::cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, he was an absolute sweetheart.

I guess there wasn't time to ask about the Buddha? :cry::cry::cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    I guess there wasn't time to ask about the Buddha? :cry::cry::cry:

No, afraid not. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, afraid not. :rolleyes:

Well I must say I forgive you (this time!!). Can't wait to see the photos. You are so lucky! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skimmer11 wrote: »
    For Democrats and Republicans to agree that it's a bad bill, its gotta be bad.

Thanks to all of you who posted series 5 on you tube. Fun while it lasted.

:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ellenwdot wrote: »
    This whole thing stinks IMO. I understand it. My husband, an attorney, is surprised that it lasted as long as it did -- that the rules about 'Intellectual Property' forbid doing this. I'm not speaking to him.

Ellen

:D:D:D

Happy thanksgiving to all our American friends. What a fantastic thing to celebrate.
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Excellent! Thanks for sharing! Now I just have to figure out how to hold my breath for two long years!
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robspace54 wrote: »
    I was one of the many, many authors who entered the fan fiction anthology contests. They ran for 10 years (I entered the last) and the stories chosen were published on PAPER as anthologies. It was that effort that got me into FF. First Star Trek, then Magnum, pi, and then Doc Martin.

I have a friend who paid for her first computer with money earned thru Quantum Leap FFR stories, which were bought for a QL Fanzine, published with permission of the QL owners. So these things can work out.

** I assume that the 'take down' orders were centered on the full vids, then derivative videos, and so forth. I'm certain they were also concerned over the use of music.

Rob

What's odd is that, I suppose like others on the Forum, I like other shows (but, DM is in my top three faves!) and have DVDs of them but episodes of them are still up on YT. I wonder if it matters if they are older shows. Are fresh new ones at more risk for YT censorship? Or, will ALL episodes eventually be taken down of all shows, no matter when they originally aired, which have distribution companies, DVDs for sale, and are being aired by "for pay" online watching companies?

Playing devil's advocate to myself, I can see the whole issue of piracy is valid. But, fans do not make money putting up the episodes for others to fall in love with, and then wish to buy DVDs for their own use, so that issue is a bit moot. It seems, like others have said, it introduces others to the shows, and then docmartinizes them, and they're off to buy the DVDs. It would seem win-win for everyone, but NOT for any company wishing to charge folks to watch them on-line. Luckily, hulu is presently stepping outside this fray and should get season 5 up in the near future. I don't mind watching a commercial or two for a DM break when working on my computer all day!
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Madmother, you rock! I am so happy for you that you got to speak to him. I am also thankful that it seems that he hasn't turned into a Media Mogul afterall.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    Whoopie!!! Series 6!!!!
  • ggo85ggo85 Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    I'll trade not seeing S5 on YT for the "guarantee" of a S6. Well, don't like it but will take it.

Obviously, an off-hand comment from MC at a charity event isn't a guarantee, but it's certainly better than the many other things he could have said. Thanks for asking the question!!

It is a Happy Thanksgiving indeed!:)

On another note, interesting that William & Mary eps are still up on YT . . .:rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.