Options

Eat well for less?

LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is anyone watching and thinking this is rubbish?

Comments

• Options
    firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah its absolute tripe.
  • Options
    I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking that this family have to be a wind up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    Anything Greg Wallace says is tripe.

The teaser clip showed families being encouraged to drop a range in their usual supermarket shop. Hardly revolutionary. You can predict the ending.... oooh we liked asda smartprice beans but Dave couldn't get on with the own brand rice pudding. And BBC puts this on in primetime. Rubbish!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dunno where she's buying her cheese straws from but I know that puff pastry, Parmesan and paprika don't come to £2 which is how much a box of cheese straws cost!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should get her to do the aldi swap!
  • Options
    bloodynorabloodynora Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She couldn't even chop a carrot up! :o Does she feed them everything ready made?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    "Oh well, you can't win them all" says voiceover lady. What a load of Horlicks (or Waitrose equivalent)

This family just eats crap.
  • Options
    horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annoying people.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TV for imbeciles.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The families on these shows eat too much ready made food. The other issue however is that the show tries to present cheap products as being "just as good" like last week they tried to push cheap tatty tea on a woman, tea is not something you can do on the cheap.
  • Options
    Doctor_DonnaDoctor_Donna Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She seems a bit feckless. The daughter summed it up with 'mummy cut the carrots herself.' Who buys ready cut carrot batons and then is amazed that preparing your own is cheaper :D
  • Options
    tykethattykethat Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    I thought they did quite well. I mean it's quite a challenge reducing a £350 weekly shopping bill.
  • Options
    LadyOfShalottLadyOfShalott Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cribside wrote: »
    TV for imbeciles.

Indeed.

Is this what the licence fee is for? I hate to sound like a Daily Mail reader (perish the thought) but this is nonsense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She seems a bit feckless. The daughter summed it up with 'mummy cut the carrots herself.' Who buys ready cut carrot batons and then is amazed that preparing your own is cheaper :D

The daughter was hilarious when she was like "Mum cut the carrots, which she made sure we knew" or something like that haha
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The shopping scenes at the start were suspicious. Not only were there hardly any other shoppers around (was it 6am?) but they were "surprised" to see Greg and Thingy at the checkout despite having had a camera crew follow them around.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    The families on these shows eat too much ready made food. The other issue however is that the show tries to present cheap products as being "just as good" like last week they tried to push cheap tatty tea on a woman, tea is not something you can do on the cheap.

Well I'm guessing someone is buying the cheap tea that's out there.
    In anycase every week they swap things round with various cheaper/own brand items some things the punter take to some they don't.

I don't think she was amazed that it was cheaper, just how much cheaper things were generally.
    Anyway there was a bit more to it, washing the veg reduces it's shelf life, the couple both remarked how quickly stuff went off.
    I didn't know that, not that it applies to me as I don't buy pre washed veg.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Indeed.

Is this what the licence fee is for? I hate to sound like a Daily Mail reader (perish the thought) but this is nonsense.

I'm not sure what's so wrong about the program.
    LostFool wrote: »
    The shopping scenes at the start were suspicious. Not only were there hardly any other shoppers around (was it 6am?) but they were "surprised" to see Greg and Thingy at the checkout despite having had a camera crew follow them around.

Didn't see the beginning, dipped in about the half hour mark.
    Maybe the surprise was faked, or they just employed two camera crews?
    Either way does it matter?

Old thread, maybe merge the two, as it's a series.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2046915&highlight=gregg&page=4
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't see the beginning, dipped in about the half hour mark.
    Maybe the surprise was faked, or they just employed two camera crews?
    Either way does it matter?

It's just a common thing on many of these type programmes. Doorbell rings and the family is "surprised" to find a celebrity on their doorstep despite there being a film crew already in their hallway. They probably practised the "surprise" several times.

Reminds me of this Mitchell & Webb sketch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mbqHsObQ5s
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what's so wrong about the program.
    First, it's a programme not a program as it's on the television rather than a computer.

Second, it's taking an extreme (or at least, a minority) and is presenting it as the norm then stating the bleeding obvious.

This subject deserves an intelligent exploration. This is anything but an intelligent exploration.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's just a common thing on many of these type programmes. Doorbell rings and the family is "surprised" to find a celebrity on their doorstep despite there being a film crew already in their hallway. They probably practised the "surprise" several times.

Reminds me of this Mitchell & Webb sketch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mbqHsObQ5s

Hey ho, one of those TV constructs we've all seen before and play along with.
  • Options
    AJonesSCFCAJonesSCFC Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    Didn't think.it was that bad, reasonably entertaining considering the type of programme it is and did have some useful tips. It also showed that not all ready meals and pre prepared meals are junk and full of additives.

I imagine they were aware they were being filmed but didn't know Greg and the other guy were going to surprise them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    First, it's a programme not a program as it's on the television rather than a computer.

Second, it's taking an extreme (or at least, a minority) and is presenting it as the norm then stating the bleeding obvious.

This subject deserves an intelligent exploration. This is anything but an intelligent exploration.

I watched it last week, they didn't present the Family's budget as the norm/average, pretty sure they quoted the average family spend, as a compare/contrast.
    So what if they're in the minority, given the number of pre-washed and chopped veg you see in the supermarkets, someone is buying it.
    Surprising as it may seem to DS members, other members of the public don't need every situation to be the same as theirs to understand it.

DS where they moan about lightweight programs, yet a Doc on BBC Two or Four, for example won't even make two pages, unless there's a celeb presenter fronting it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched it last week, they didn't present the Family's budget as the norm/average, pretty sure they quoted the average family spend, as a compare/contrast.
    So what if they're in the minority, given the number of pre-washed and chopped veg you see in the supermarkets, someone is buying it.
    Surprising as it may seem to DS members, other members of the public don't need every situation to be the same as theirs to understand it.
    Er, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Is it that highlighting an extreme helps gullible viewers "understand" something?

Really???? I'm glad I'm not that gullible.
    DS where they moan about lightweight programs, yet a Doc on BBC Two or Four, for example won't even make two pages, unless there's a celeb presenter fronting it.C
    This isn't a coherent sentence. And again. it's isn't a "program".

And what is "Doc"??????
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course, I was looking forward to Wallace's observation that the average greasy spoon sells equivalent food to a Michelin star gaff for a lot less dosh.

But it didn't happen.
  • Options
    skiprunnerskiprunner Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    tykethat wrote: »
    I thought they did quite well. I mean it's quite a challenge reducing a £350 weekly shopping bill.

How much??????????