Doctors Discussion Thread (Part 6)

Comments

• Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,881
    Forum Member
    dan2008 wrote: »
    BIG SPOILER ALERT...............
    Franc sets fire to the Mill. It's totally gutted and Al gets the blame
    Scenes to air Wednesday 18th and Thursday 19th Feb.

You can vote for Doctors in the poll (Spoilers of the week)

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2/eastenders/news/a627228/eastenders-fight-corrie-trouble-emmerdale-suspicion-hollyoaks-visit.html#~p3JDK9VNWqndjG

Re Spoiler, WOW!
    That sounds a dodgy move for the programme as they will probably have to operate from The Campus which doesn't seem to have no more than 2 rooms for the GP's.
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The younger woman in today's episode looks a lot like Valerie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Another thing on that spoiler.....
    how can they blame Al for a fire when they know what Franc has been up to?

I enjoyed todays episode, thought it was a mini classic. I especially enjoyed Franc getting whacked, serves him right. What a shame that Howard wasn't there to see it.
  • Options
    skiprunnerskiprunner Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    I've missed a few episodes..what happened to Mrs tembes arm?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    skiprunner wrote: »
    I've missed a few episodes..what happened to Mrs tembes arm?

She didn't really let on when asked by Karen, made it out that it was no big thing. I suspect that something may have happened to Lorna Laidlaw in real life. Either that or they are doing it for sublte comedy effect.
  • Options
    auntiemauntiem Posts: 450
    Forum Member
    Also another vote here for Al. His character is so believable too, unlike Emma who seems to have no continuity in her actions at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The actress that played the mum/wife in todays episode has been in Doctors before a number of times I think and the last time she was in it was when it turned out she was related to Valerie but didn't want to know her but made out at first that she did.

I thought Driver was too quick to accept that confession from the wife too, not good when Police do that. They should try and make sure they've got the real truth for sure instead of accepting a "confession" just like that.

Al proved in todays episode that there is the technology to listen to what people are saying through their mobile phones even if they aren't using it! I had heard of that before and I've also heard that it can be done even if the phone is switched off!
    Al should have told poor Jimmi too that he had loads of things to do as well.

I loved the ending of todays episdoe though, made me laugh. Franc playing what he was playing in his car and Al watching him! :D
  • Options
    turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sure hope they don't drag the Franc story out for too long, although I'm loving Al in this story.

Ayesha need not come back, as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    Styker wrote: »
    The actress that played the mum/wife in todays episode has been in Doctors before a number of times I think and the last time she was in it was when it turned out she was related to Valerie but didn't want to know her but made out at first that she did.

I don't remember her in the Valerie story before. However I did think she looked so like DCI Driver that they could almost be twins :D
    I thought Driver was too quick to accept that confession from the wife too, not good when Police do that. They should try and make sure they've got the real truth for sure instead of accepting a "confession" just like that.

Even with a confession they'd have to investigate. However this is soapland, so things have to be taken with a massive pinch of salt.
    Al proved in todays episode that there is the technology to listen to what people are saying through their mobile phones even if they aren't using it! I had heard of that before and I've also heard that it can be done even if the phone is switched off!

There was something on the news yesterday about smart tvs listening in to your conversations, and apparently if you use a usb stick on them and it has data on it, that is transmitted to the server. I believe that the new XBox also 'spies' on you.
    I loved the ending of todays episdoe though, made me laugh. Franc playing what he was playing in his car and Al watching him! :D

I still can't stand Franc and can't wait for the end of his storyline.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=turquoiseblue;76912666Ayesha need not come back, as far as I'm concerned.[/QUOTE]

I've barely noticed she's not there, but now you mention it I'm not looking forward to the doom and gloom cloud when she comes back :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    seejay63 wrote: »
    I don't remember her in the Valerie story before. However I did think she looked so like DCI Driver that they could almost be twins :D

Even with a confession they'd have to investigate. However this is soapland, so things have to be taken with a massive pinch of salt.

There was something on the news yesterday about smart tvs listening in to your conversations, and apparently if you use a usb stick on them and it has data on it, that is transmitted to the server. I believe that the new XBox also 'spies' on you.

I still can't stand Franc and can't wait for the end of his storyline.

On the wife/mum of todays episode being related to Valerie in her previous appearance in the programme, I've just done a quick bit of detective work and it was more than town years ago now. I think that was in Valerie's first stint in Doctors too.

Here's a link to the episode's details if you're interested....http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2452300/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_1

On Franc, I feel the same and I wish they would stop dragging storylines out so much in general. I suppose they do that a lot in soaps but because Doctors has many different stories of the days, the continued storylines seem to go on for a lot longer. I do think they should just get on with it still though on this Garly Lucas guy and if he is going to set up another surgery, they should let him.
  • Options
    JordanJ7JordanJ7 Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    I watched yesterday's episode on the iPlayer and at first from the thumbnail I thought they were heading towards Driver having a twin. They looked very alike.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    She didn't really let on when asked by Karen, made it out that it was no big thing. I suspect that something may have happened to Lorna Laidlaw in real life. Either that or they are doing it for sublte comedy effect.

I reckon she's done something to it in real life. I loved the line about the canary with a broken wing. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why are Heston and Valerie wearing the same colour rosettes? Don't candidates usually wear different ones?
  • Options
    CharentonCharenton Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doctors is on our TV while we wait for Father Brown. Can any regular Doctors viewer tell me if the Doctors actually do any doctoring? All they seem to do is stand around talking in the reception area, which is generally totally devoid of patients, or they go out chasing after patients for one reason or other.

I can only assume the script writers go to a completely different doctor s surgery than I've experienced in my 71 years.
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That terrible, terrible Al is going to accuse poor Niamh of doing the dirty with Franc because Al is a terrible, terrible man. *rolls eyes* Al will get a lecture from everyone when he discovers he's wrong, even though coming to the conclusion of Niamh and Franc being responsible for the moans is completely understandable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Charenton wrote: »
    Doctors is on our TV while we wait for Father Brown. Can any regular Doctors viewer tell me if the Doctors actually do any doctoring? All they seem to do is stand around talking in the reception area, which is generally totally devoid of patients, or they go out chasing after patients for one reason or other.

I can only assume the script writers go to a completely different doctor s surgery than I've experienced in my 71 years.

They do doctor, yes, but it would be boring if we only ever saw them in consultations. Very often it's the rest of life which is more interesting. The surgery is just the canvas on which the story hangs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why are Heston and Valerie wearing the same colour rosettes? Don't candidates usually wear different ones?

I'm not sure, maybe it's because they're both independent candidates?
  • Options
    CharentonCharenton Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They do doctor, yes, but it would be boring if we only ever saw them in consultations. Very often it's the rest of life which is more interesting. The surgery is just the canvas on which the story hangs.

Personally I think it would do better if it covered the treatment of health issues to educate the viewing public rather than all the personal issues they seem to concentrate on.

I also wonder how many real life Practice Managers find the time to disappear to be a Special Police Officer. We know the Practice Manager at our GPs and she's far too busy for that sort of thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Personally I think it would do better if it covered the treatment of health issues to educate the viewing public rather than all the personal issues they seem to concentrate on.

I also wonder how many real life Practice Managers find the time to disappear to be a Special Police Officer. We know the Practice Manager at our GPs and she's far too busy for that sort of thing.

The thing is it's a soap opera and as it's classed as such it needs to have soap opera style storylines. They do often cover genuine health problems but the episodes shown yesterday and today were not good examples of that to be fair.
    I think almost everyone who regularly posts in this thread is in agreement that the thing with Howard (the practise manager) being a PCSO is a bit unrealistic but like I said before, it is a soap opera so some artistic license can be given.
  • Options
    Kay_ElKay_El Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    Is it my imagination or could Jimmi be getting broody? He warmed to that little kid last week and then looked a bit wistful at Joe's toy ....
    Would love to see something a bit out of the ordinary with this ... maybe an adoption storyline?

I can't stand Franc, either. I have to skip his parts :(
  • Options
    Forum Member

That would be dull. It's a soap and escapism. We wouldn't want to have maths lessons on a soap set in a school, or watch surgery in a soap set in a hospital. There has to be a setting for a soap, and the surgery is it. It's a good way of getting a lot of different storylines in as people from all walks of life and living in different settings go to the doctor.
  • Options
    mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good to see 'Bob' again.
  • Options
    Bobby'sgirlBobby'sgirl Posts: 7,390
    Forum Member
    I am not too keen on the new Niamh at the moment. She is very hard towards Al. He got it wrong and has tried to make amends, but is not making it easy for him.
    As for Valerie and Heston, just loved Mrs Tembe today she is not the woman to mess with. Poor Valerie smashing the cups etc, it just had to be her didn't it. I want Heston to win and Valerie to drop her Mrs T act.
    Also can't wait for Franc to get his comeuppance, please make it soon
  • Options
    davestokedavestoke Posts: 3,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really sure that Al's renewed stalking should have been treated with such humour. If it hadn't happened before, It would have been funny but I felt uneasy that I was laughing.
This discussion has been closed.