Options

The Wright Stuff Discussion Thread (Part 3)

Comments

• Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because living for 60+ years makes you totally ignorant doesn't it, especially when their views differ from yours. And what do the jobless know about anything?

In my experience most pensioners spend all their time moaning about not getting enough interest on their savings and there being too many immigrants, this despite them living in enclaves almost exclusively peopled by whites. There's no excuse for being without a job - There are vacancies everywhere but too many Brits are not prepared to do jobs they consider beneath them so I don't have much respect for what makes up the never-changing majority of TWS audience. Perhaps if it were different faces every day I might cut them some more slack.

I generalise but the point still stands.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    In my experience most pensioners spend all their time moaning about not getting enough interest on their savings and there being too many immigrants, this despite them living in enclaves almost exclusively peopled by whites. There's no excuse for being without a job - There are vacancies everywhere but too many Brits are not prepared to do jobs they consider beneath them so I don't have much respect for what makes up the never-changing majority of TWS audience. Perhaps if it were different faces every day I might cut them some more slack.

I generalise but the point still stands.

Well if we can generalise in my experience people over 60 ,which includes my OH and myself, don't get more conservative as they age, they get more angry at the injustices they see. And yes, my local paper is full of jobs for the unskilled but it tends to be seasonal work in the nearest seaside resort nearly 40 miles away. We have no early morning transport link and its too expensive for a young person to run a car for 16 hours minimum wage work for a few months. There are also jobs on the land during harvesting but these are frequently controlled by gang masters ( yes they are still called that in 2015) who tend to employ overseas workers and pay less than minimum wage.

Now, I know these, although perfectly true are not the case throughout the whole country which is why, at my advanced age, I prefer to look at the bigger picture rather than just the Daily Mail.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    Well if we can generalise in my experience people over 60 ,which includes my OH and myself, don't get more conservative as they age, they get more angry at the injustices they see. And yes, my local paper is full of jobs for the unskilled but it tends to be seasonal work in the nearest seaside resort nearly 40 miles away. We have no early morning transport link and its too expensive for a young person to run a car for 16 hours minimum wage work for a few months. There are also jobs on the land during harvesting but these are frequently controlled by gang masters ( yes they are still called that in 2015) who tend to employ overseas workers and pay less than minimum wage.

Now, I know these, although perfectly true are not the case throughout the whole country which is why, at my advanced age, I prefer to look at the bigger picture rather than just the Daily Mail.

Well said.

I really can't stand Dominic Holland.

I don't watch at all if Richard Madely is hosting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if we can generalise in my experience people over 60 ,which includes my OH and myself, don't get more conservative as they age, they get more angry at the injustices they see.

Ah, is that the euphemism de jour?

I wouldn't know - I've never read TDM.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well said.

I really can't stand Dominic Holland.

I don't watch at all if Richard Madely is hosting.

Thanks Beryl. I'm with you on Dom and Dicky as well. I still watch Madeley but he really needs some new anecdotes instead of continually recycling the old stuff.
  • Options
    TrishaSTrishaS Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know who's on the panel next week? I turned off after the papers as again it was another boring size thing talking point, they get worse >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shazia Mirza. Can't remember the other one but it's not one of the usual suspects IIRC.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,989
    Forum Member
    It's Andrez Harriot, I think he's the guy from Damage who works with young people in prisons from his picture on the website.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's Andrez Harriot, I think he's the guy from Damage who works with young people in prisons from his picture on the website.

Oh good, I absolutely love that guy :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not heard of Andrez Harriot so will have a look in on monday. Not keen on Shazia tho :(
  • Options
    GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,491
    Forum Member

Christ! Hope it's not a misprint. :o

http://www.standard.co.uk/img/rO0ABXQAZGZ7aHR0cDovL3d3dy5zdGFuZGFyZC5jby51ay9uZXdzL2FydGljbGU2MzgxODQ5LmVjZS9hbHRlcm5hdGVzL3c2MjAvQWluc2xleSUyMEhhcnJpb3QuanBnfWY3Nzc4ZjMyMHQ=.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His cup-a-soups are only 62p at Waitrose currently. I recommend the Wild Mushroom.
  • Options
    China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember Andrez on as a guest a while back, he was really good, nice guy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does Wrighty deliberately contradict Holland on everything ?

Dom's on solid statistical ground when he says male drivers are the cause of most road accidents yet Wrighty can't let it lie and , to luxuriate in the sound of his own voice, makes up a spurious argument about men doing higher mileage per annum.

He's an utter cockhead at times, and that girly lfalsetto laugh is really annoying and somewhat forced.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does Wrighty deliberately contradict Holland on everything ?

Dom's on solid statistical ground when he says male drivers are the cause of most road accidents yet Wrighty can't let it lie and , to luxuriate in the sound of his own voice, makes up a spurious argument about men doing higher mileage per annum.

He's an utter cockhead at times, and that girly lfalsetto laugh is really annoying and somewhat forced.

I saw that and I agree with you. It's completely irrelevant if men drive more miles. Dominic was making a point based on logic. If male drivers in general cause more accidents then that's all there is to it. Anything else makes no difference because all insurance companies are interested in is risk.
  • Options
    bluefbbluefb Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw that and I agree with you. It's completely irrelevant if men drive more miles. Dominic was making a point based on logic. If male drivers in general cause more accidents then that's all there is to it. Anything else makes no difference because all insurance companies are interested in is risk.
    It sounds to me like mileage is crucial to the issue and entirely logical. If women drivers are involved in 0% of car crashes in Saudi Arabia, that doesn't necessarily mean they are better drivers than men.
  • Options
    EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    bluefb wrote: »
    It sounds to me like mileage is crucial to the issue and entirely logical. If women drivers are involved in 0% of car crashes in Saudi Arabia, that doesn't necessarily mean they are better drivers than men.

Shouldn't you be expected to drive safely regardless of distance?
  • Options
    suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 16,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    His cup-a-soups are only 62p at Waitrose currently. I recommend the Wild Mushroom.

Had that one for lunch the other day. I recommend his hot and sour, the king of all cup a soups ;-)

Oh and that geezer from Damage was a sound panellist.
  • Options
    poppyrpoppyr Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope they never have Stacey Dooley on the show again she has to be the most irritating guest ever. I had no idea who she was and couldn't believe she was on the show for a whole week. I've never seen her as a guest before and I watch virtually every day. Everything about her irritated me her irritating accent (which I know is wrong but it really got under my skin), her gormless expression with her brilliant white teeth, and most importantly what came out of her mouth, how can someone who doesn't come across as the sharpest tool in the box get on television to make documentaries?! But what I disliked about her most of all was when she said she didn't like animals, anyone who doesn't like animals is extremely suspect in my opinion. I prefer any animal over the airhead that is Stacey Dooley and I will definitely be avoiding her at all costs in the future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poppyr wrote: »
    I hope they never have Stacey Dooley on the show again she has to be the most irritating guest ever. I had no idea who she was and couldn't believe she was on the show for a whole week. I've never seen her as a guest before and I watch virtually every day. Everything about her irritated me her irritating accent (which I know is wrong but it really got under my skin), her gormless expression with her brilliant white teeth, and most importantly what came out of her mouth, how can someone who doesn't come across as the sharpest tool in the box get on television to make documentaries?! But what I disliked about her most of all was when she said she didn't like animals, anyone who doesn't like animals is extremely suspect in my opinion. I prefer any animal over the airhead that is Stacey Dooley and I will definitely be avoiding her at all costs in the future.

I totally agree with everything you have written :):):)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I put 12 000 miles per annum in one of them car insurance on-line comparison sites, then did it again with 40, 000 miles per annum and the price was the same.

Age, gender and postcode are the main factors.
  • Options
    poppyrpoppyr Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TrishaS wrote: »
    I totally agree with everything you have written :):):)

Thanks, I'm glad I'm not the only one who was really irritated by her. Normally I can find at least one redeeming feature about people on the Wright Stuff but for some reason I couldn't stand this woman. I persevered for the whole week to see if she improved but she annoyed me even more every episode. When Matthew Wright continually said how articulately she had put a point across I was swearing at the tv ! If she is his definition of articulate then heaven help us.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bluefb wrote: »

In the post I wrote which you responded to I said that it was irrelevant whether males have driven more miles. Which was a mistake, it is relevant when assessing risk premiums. I should have said that their mileage is irrelevant to whether they are good drivers or not, which is what Wright seemed to be angling at. I should have made that more clear. Sorry. It seems that we are in agreement. You are of course correct.

It's not about whether males are better drivers than female ones, or whether female drivers are better than male ones, which is where Wright was going. It's all about risk assessment by insurance companies. Males may well drive more miles than females, and thus incur more accidents. But the insurance company doesn't care whether they are better drivers or not, it's just going to look at the numbers and assess the risk accordingly.

Wright seems to be trying to use the stats to excuse drivers who have driven more miles. Holland was looking at it more pragmatically and making the point that the insurance companies only care about the risk based on the stats and not on who is or isn't the better driver.

It depends on where you want to place the emphasis, who are better drivers, men or women? (typical of the type of topic for this show) Or whether insurance companies should raise the insurance premiums for males or females based on who cause the most accidents.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    poppyr wrote: »

To be fair to her on one of the shows she was on over the last couple of days she did say that she 'presented' a documentary and didn't claim to make it.
    It's not really her fault if Matthew Wright blows smoke up her arse for being a great documentary maker.
This discussion has been closed.