Options

Russell Howard's Good News - BBC3

Comments

• Options
    DeerdDeerd Posts: 21,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Isn't that just the same as ITV News at Ten though?

He needs to work on his impressions/voices. He does too much on his enraged Daily Mail reader/posh bigot type.

Admittedly, I never tire of the comedic value that can be assigned to an enraged (oft outrageously enraged) DM reader!:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just caught this weeks episode on iplayer.. Have to say I really enjoyed it as much as last weeks, will be a definite watch from now on.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Deerd wrote: »
    Admittedly, I never tire of the comedic value that can be assigned to an enraged (oft outrageously enraged) DM reader!:D
    Nowt wrong with the comedy value, it just that he doesn't have a good range of voices. He has that enraged posh voice and his wierd country bumkin voice. There's only so much he can do with those two.
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    Note: I'm not a young person, I'm 43, but I agree there's not enough positive images of young people in the media today. Instead we get those amateurs at ITV News continually and sensationally referring to "Broken Britain". They should be banned from using that expression. (Rant over.)

I'm waiting for positive stories about bankers to balanve out all the negative stories about them too. These positive storiesf are such a waste of space - even Hitler loved his dod so maybe he should get a soft feature on Pets Win Prizes ;)
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like they've dropped the mystery guest slot. Very wise.
  • Options
    doughnut8doughnut8 Posts: 2,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree that was cack.

The thing I think is brave and it took me to episode 3 to get (duh!), is how brave it is of him to finish on something non cynical and uplifting about humanity at the end of every show. :cool:
  • Options
    DeerdDeerd Posts: 21,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Very wise... although I thought he might have made some funny comment rather than have it as the elephant in the room all episode.
  • Options
    Slick NickSlick Nick Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think him and his show is a big shit festival.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone tell me what Ernest Borgnine whispered in last nights episode?
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When asked what he attributed his long and hearty life to*, his answer was along the lines of "I masterbate frequently/a great deal/a lot/etc."

*ironic seeing as he dies in the majority of his film roles.
  • Options
    Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    Can I assume this won't get recomissioned? It's SHITE. And offensive sometimes.
  • Options
    blimpyboyblimpyboy Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    Rorschach wrote: »
    When asked what he attributed his long and hearty life to*, his answer was along the lines of "I masterbate frequently/a great deal/a lot/etc."

*ironic seeing as he dies in the majority of his film roles.

To be fair he doesn't masturbate a lot in his roles.

Maybe if "Cabbie" in Escape From New York had knocked a couple out, he would've survived.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Offensive? It's on BBC Three on a graveyard slot made for a minority audience; it's meant to be very avoidable. Now stop ruining it for everyone else.
  • Options
    Dai ClustDai Clust Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    I quite like Russell Howard and if he is regurgitating old stuff then being relatively new to watching him it is new to me (perhaps I'll feel differently if he is still doing it in 5 years time). My only criticism is that he is so damn PC/right on. But noones perfect.

I was surpised that no one on here had picked up on that guest "comedian" in the second episode going on about Chippenham (or was it Cirencester?) I can't believe that was included in a recorded programme. I have never squirmed so much watching someone on TV getting no reaction from the crowd, or indeed me (other than horror, pain, sympathy, and embarassment). I hope that chap has seen sense and given up on comedy.
  • Options
    Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    Offensive? It's on BBC Three on a graveyard slot made for a minority audience; it's meant to be very avoidable. Now stop ruining it for everyone else.

Can you tell me exactly how I'm "ruining it for everyone else" :confused:

Ta.
  • Options
    LeehamLeeham Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched a bit of Epi 3 on the iPlayer, Howard is using really hack material...like the Susan Boyle virgin joke, how cutting edge and original...
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    (deleted)
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It says here....

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a185512/alesha-dixon-boosts-fearne-cotton-show.html

...that Thursday's programme took an impressive 753,000 and the show has more than doubled its audience in two weeks
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's OK but I wish he would ditch the toilet humour.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Dai Clust wrote: »
    I quite like Russell Howard and if he is regurgitating old stuff then being relatively new to watching him it is new to me (perhaps I'll feel differently if he is still doing it in 5 years time). My only criticism is that he is so damn PC/right on. But noones perfect.

I was surpised that no one on here had picked up on that guest "comedian" in the second episode going on about Chippenham (or was it Cirencester?) I can't believe that was included in a recorded programme. I have never squirmed so much watching someone on TV getting no reaction from the crowd, or indeed me (other than horror, pain, sympathy, and embarassment). I hope that chap has seen sense and given up on comedy.

Haha I was in the audience for the episode. That bloke was the worst comedian I have ever seen in my life. I can tell you, the room was completely silent when he was talking. Honestly the most cringy moment ever haha. The warm up guy was way funnier in my opinion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 207
    Forum Member

But of course it will get recommissioned.

BBC has obessions with certain people, who get plastered over the network regardless of how good the show is. I like Russell, he is the latest BBC3 fad.

Following on from their obessions with

Dawn Porter

Lily Allen

Bore and Corden

Pregnant teenage slags
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    What was that fat unfunny 'comedian' in the 2nd extras episode called?

he was shocking.
  • Options
    mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member

I agree with this sentiment. I thought he was shite on Mock The Week but thought I'd give his own programme a chance. What a waste of my time; he's just not funny.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    I went to go and see it recorded live on tuesday, i thought it was hilarious :D:D
  • Options
    chuck_wipplchuck_wippl Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    Just thought I'd give my opinion.

Saw it last night for the first time, and thought it was painfully unfunny. Seriously, bad..

He can be alright on Mock The Week when he's able to bounce off other people, but having him just standing there, on his own, talking about things he thinks we'd find funny, a la Russell Brand, was so cringey. Have to admit though, the other guys watching in the room with me did laugh occasionally. But only occasionally. And it was always more of a closed mouth "ha.." than an all and out chortle.

Shame :( Really wanted it to be good.

But as others have said, because he is who he is and BBC3 have no sense whatsoever, they'll give him another series for sure :rolleyes: