seeing doctor 7 days week

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 732
Forum Member
✭✭
camaroon says if he gets in you will be able to see your doctor 7 days a week and hes smirking as he says it cause he knows its rubbish same as doctors working 8-8.
For a start it would cost 1 billion pounds nd would need an extra 10.000 doctors.
It takes me a month to get to see my doctor as it is.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    Same, no point trying to get an appointment anymore.
  • LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    Here we go again. All the main parties keep offering unnecessary extras in some policy areas while taking a huge sledgehammer to others. I don't want this 7 days thing, just as I don't want Labour's so many extra thousand nurses or whatever. Either the NHS is barely affordable or it is not. Much of this playing to the gallery before the election suggests the first is a lie. Can we just have a guarantee the current service will be maintained? No ifs and no buts.
  • davzerdavzer Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet more English only benefits. Time to stop sponging off Scotland to subsidise your 24/7 GP services!

Or is it a choice that you have taken for yourselves, a bit like free prescriptions in Scotland?
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    gerr60 wrote: »
    camaroon says if he gets in you will be able to see your doctor 7 days a week and hes smirking as he says it cause he knows its rubbish same as doctors working 8-8.
    For a start it would cost 1 billion pounds nd would need an extra 10.000 doctors.

It must be possible because both Parties have promised it.

Mr Miliband will declare Labour will give all NHS patients contacting their surgery the right to:

• Consult a doctor or a nurse at their local GP surgery on the same day.
    • Get an appointment at their surgery on the same day if they need to be seen quickly.
    • Have a guaranteed appointment at their GP surgery within 48 hours.
    • Book an appointment more than 48 hours ahead with the GP of their choice.

He will say a Labour government will help all surgeries achieve these standards by investing an extra £100 million a year in family doctor practices which could pay for an additional 3 million GP appointments every year.

Why don't you change your doctor?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Littlegee wrote: »
    Same, no point trying to get an appointment anymore.

Why don't you do something about your problem? Sign on with another doctor.
  • LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    davzer wrote: »
    Yet more English only benefits. Time to stop sponging off Scotland to subsidise your 24/7 GP services!

Or is it a choice that you have taken for yourselves, a bit like free prescriptions in Scotland?
    As I was told when I pointed out that properties in Scotland were dirt cheap, there is nothing to stop them being available to you. All you need to do is move. And all you need to do is move to enjoy an England health service.
  • John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »

Mr Miliband will declare Labour will give all NHS patients contacting their surgery the right to:

• Get an appointment at their surgery on the same day if they need to be seen quickly.

He will say a Labour government will help all surgeries achieve these standards by investing an extra £100 million a year in family doctor practices which could pay for an additional 3 million GP appointments every year.

Well up to present I have had no problem getting an appointment with my GP, and, if I considered it urgent and told the receptionist, she would usually get me a same day appointment..
  • allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Every possibility that doctors use the same system and none of then will give you an appointment to be seen the same day or even in the same week.
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the policy should be when you really need to see your doctor you are able to. I don't see an issue with having to wait a few days to if it is not urgent.
  • delegate zerodelegate zero Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you need to see a doctor 7 days a week, shouldn't you be in hospital?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    allaorta wrote: »
    [/B]

Every possibility that doctors use the same system and none of then will give you an appointment to be seen the same day or even in the same week.

Not true. I have been registered at my surgery since 1962 and can always get an appointment to suit me. For non-urgent appointments I don't mind waiting a day or so. Whenever I have a serious need I go to the early morning urgent surgery. I have also been visited at home on one or two occasions.

If I could not get this service I would look for another doctor at another surgery. I wouldn't just moan about it.
  • wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So instead of being negative, you should welcome it.
  • wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So if I go to the doctor's on Sunday instead of Monday, I should be in hospital???? Weird thinking :D
  • John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wallster wrote: »
    So if I go to the doctor's on Sunday instead of Monday, I should be in hospital???? Weird thinking :D

One of the times I attended my Doctors surgery and described the symptoms, he just said 'sit in the chair just outside of the door, the ambulance will be here shortly'
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not really. Just because you need to see a doctor it doesn't mean that you are too sick to work. People with long term conditions such as diabetes need to see a doctor regularly but don't want to have to keep taking time off work. If GP surgeries were more accessible then it would some of the take the strain off A&E services

Of course there is a big difference between promising this laudable aim and being able to deliver it. Five thousand new GPs don't come out of thin air and can't even be found hanging from Labour magic money tree.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What area? I can see my GP next day.
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:p Funny phrasing from Cameron. It does come across like that....

When I heard Cameron's declaration, the first thing that came into my mind was a supermarket.
  • CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member

I have friends and colleagues who are registered at all four of my towns doctors surgeries.
    They all moan about not being able to get appointments, it isn't a localised problem and many of us simply don't have a good doctors to switch too.
    I would happily pay to see a private GP to avoid having to waste my time trying to get an appointment, but, alas, there're no private GP's in my town either.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :p Funny phrasing from Cameron. It does come across like that....

When I heard Cameron's declaration, the first thing that came into my mind was a supermarket.

GP surgeries in supermarkets? Not a bad idea. For a no-frills service, go to Lidl one and it you want a free coffee while you wait then go to one in Waitrose.
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,572
    Forum Member
    I can't see the maths working out.. our GPs have to cover surgery time, home visits, visits to institutions, referals, perscriptions, and masses of admin. 4 of them struggle to provide 60-70 hours of surgery time a week - this requires 84. A home visit in a rural area may mean 20 minutes travel time before they even see the patient.

You can only start to do it by putting one doctor in the surgery much of the time when there's now 2 - meaning people will have to come back at hours they don't now attend at, and there's no capacity to deal with a rush of morning emergencies. And given the admin, letter writing and reading, and home visits will still have to be done, you can't do it at all without at least one more GP.

Unless you find 25% more GPs, locally you can only provide this by pooling different pracvices, and making people travel to practices 7 miles away. Thats not going to work given the people most using the service may be elderly, alone, and/or non drivers, and the lack of rural public transport

It just looks half baked. It doesn't work for anywhere other than very big surgeries in big towns. Its SW1 thinking. You either end up following the trend with hospitals and moving to to big centralised GP surgeries miles away, with longer waits and different doctors each visit, or you spend much more. It may mean more waiting, and less time with the doctor. Given they can't recruit GPs now - as the workload is relatively higher , this will make the job even less attractive It just looks a recipe for making things worse.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not as it seems the GP practice and the 7 days are separate.

You normal GP will open as it does then after hours, a group of practices get together and use a resource from each to open out of hours in a neutral venue, that is how the pilot is working.

In the pilot they are using a specially built building probably if it goes national might be one of the practices in rotation.

So it is just the out of hours doctor under a different name.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To all those who say they can't see their doc in my practice to avoid the wait there are a set number of slots available at 8am each day when these are gone they goto the GP call back who can bring a patient in to an emergency slot.

So you can get to see a doc everyday you just have to be prepared to ring up at 8am or book in advance.

There is no other way to achieve the 48 hour target if you don't keep slots until the day.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    To all those who say they can't see their doc in my practice to avoid the wait there are a set number of slots available at 8am each day when these are gone they goto the GP call back who can bring a patient in to an emergency slot.

So you can get to see a doc everyday you just have to be prepared to ring up at 8am or book in advance.

There is no other way to achieve the 48 hour target if you don't keep slots until the day.

Not very helpful if you leave home for work at 7:30
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    Not very helpful if you leave home for work at 7:30

They have three docs they want a fourth, they cannot find one their is no one coming through wanting to be a partner, there is nothing they can do if no one wants to be a GP.
  • CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »

"All our lines are busy, you are 98th in the queue."
    I've resorted to waiting outside until they open, and then I can get an emergency appointment the same day ( not with my own doctor of course, that's a 3 week wait).
    Gp's in this country are a complete shambles.