Options

Exposed...Magicians, Psychics and Frauds (Storyville, bbc4)

Comments

• Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parker45 wrote: »
    Although magicians, including Randi, have duplicated spoon bending none of them have done it as convincingly as Geller. When Randi does it, it looks like a trick which can easily be worked out. Whatever Geller does, is extremely clever which is why he's remained popular.

Well that is according to you. I do not find Geller convincing at all.
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kernow19 wrote: »
    Whilst I applaud the efforts of those who debunk the charlatans who prey on the vulnerable, It's a shame that by so doing they also damage the reputation of those with genuine psychic abilities who do so much to help these same people. Mud tends to stick, as they say and there is a tendency for all to be tarred with the same brush, unfortunately.

Seriously?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Instead of just talking about these thieves, people should be made aware they may now actually DO something positive. Join with Stephen Fry Paul Danieals et cetera.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPBK08wAArw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wlm_AWM-v6A

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/70539

Let everyone know epeition now available first time ever!
  • Options
    Bonnie ScotlandBonnie Scotland Posts: 2,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm getting an S coming through, could be a female, Shona (scanning audience) could be Sharon (still scanning audience) no wait it's maybe Sheena (scanning audience sees someone react) oh is it you love?

Yes, we know a Sheena.

and has she passed over my love? (emm are you not supposed to know?)

Yes

and was she your gran my love? Mum? Daughter?

Auntie.

ah that's right your auntie Sheena. She's coming through very strongly my love.

HA HA HAAAAAAAA if you believe these charlatans you're either deluded and/or in need of professional help. They often prey on the impressionable and/or vulnerable in society and i don't subscribe to 'what's the harm if it brings people peace??' as it's based on conning people pure and simple.
  • Options
    pericompericom Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    All psychics should be banned.

Smdh at people that still fall for this its just like the Nigerian email scamster contact enough stupid people and some of them will believe aka suckers.
  • Options
    louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have followed James Randi, his claims, and the works of his institute for many years now; his $1 million is safe.
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "I'm getting a word, its very strong, I'm getting the word...........Nonce!

Ay, don't shoot the messenger"
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bob_Burt wrote: »
    Instead of just talking about these thieves, people should be made aware they may now actually DO something positive. Join with Stephen Fry Paul Danieals et cetera.

What is the current law on this? Are "psychics" allowed to charge for their services? Or are they classed as entertainers and therefore in the same category as comedians, actors, clowns etc?
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    louise1966 wrote: »
    I have followed James Randi, his claims, and the works of his institute for many years now; his $1 million is safe.

I find him really unpleasant.:(
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    What is the current law on this? Are "psychics" allowed to charge for their services? Or are they classed as entertainers and therefore in the same category as comedians, actors, clowns etc?

The latter (especially the clowns and actors bit). Morgan has to include some sort of clause in her advertising to the effect that her act is for entertainment purposes.
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    kernow19 wrote: »
    Whilst I applaud the efforts of those who debunk the charlatans who prey on the vulnerable, It's a shame that by so doing they also damage the reputation of those with genuine psychic abilities who do so much to help these same people. Mud tends to stick, as they say and there is a tendency for all to be tarred with the same brush, unfortunately.

No one has "genuine psychic abilities".

See this is the up-hill battle where some just have to believe in claptrap no matter what reality check you give them.

All people who claim any special powers is a con artist. That IS the difference between one of them and a magician/mentalist who does a show entirely for entertainment and tells you that of course they don't really have any powers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »

All their advertising blurb must have "For Entertainment Purposes" on it, but you can be sure it's going to be as small as they can get away with and lost in a load of small print at the bottom.

But then they do attract people who do believe no matter what and so they are already catering for the terminally stupid. Many have been caught red handed cheating and faking it and yet they still have sell-out shows.

It's a religion and as genuine as that! (So not at all)
  • Options
    LibretioLibretio Posts: 4,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone watching this film with no prior knowledge of Randi would be left with no idea that he is a hugely divisive figure who has been accused of using his own brand of deceit over the years to 'debunk' paranormal claims. It became obvious toward the end of the film that it wouldn't exist without Randi's say-so, since his participation was clearly based on him approving the finished result.

Lip-service was paid to the various people who have disagreed with his methods, via a few clips of angry people confronting him on a couple of TV shows. The reasons for those disagreements were not shown, and they were all dismissed immediately afterward by having Randi say something to the effect that those people only opposed him because they refused to accept his version of the 'truth'. Given that the whole tenor of the piece was 'Randi right - everyone else wrong', and given that all but one of the interviewees were professional sceptics (denialists is a better word, to be honest), it was no surprise that Uri Geller's contributions came off looking feeble by comparison. I don't know if his abilities are genuine, but he was basically shafted by this hatchet job.

Randi's dishonest approach to 'debunkery' is well-documented online, particularly the nonsense surrounding his bogus $1 million 'challenge', but suspicions about his lack of integrity pre-date the incident with his partner. The film made it clear that theirs is a genuine, loving relationship, and none of my own doubts about Randi's behaviour has anything to do with what Jose did, for two reasons: First, despite wishful thinking on the part of 'believers', there is no evidence whatsoever that Randi knew about Jose's deception and colluded in fraud. And second, if I was in his situation and he DID commit fraud, I'm not sure I wouldn't have done exactly the same thing. Love will always trump commitment to a cause.

In the final analysis, Randi and his followers are too dogmatic in their approach. Instead of seeking after truth, they start from the vantage point of total disbelief in any and all paranormal claims and seek only to disprove them. Worse still, they believe that gives them the right to abuse, disparage and humiliate anyone who disagrees with them, especially in Internet debates. Debunking charlatans is one thing (and quite necessary, too), but lording it over anyone who disagrees with Randi's utter denialism is quite another. Try going toe-to-toe with one of these online bullies, and you'll quickly see what I mean.

As for this film: Worthless and misleading, unless you happen to be an uncritical adherent to Randi's particular worldview.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the nonsense surrounding his bogus $1 million 'challenge'

Having read a very thorough article about this, following a link in another thread, I think the word "challenge" is a big mistake. Isn't it actually called a 'prize', or maybe 'promise' or 'gift' would do as well?

The point is that it's a promise that anyone who claims to have a paranormal ability, and can demonstrate it, will be paid $1M. Nothing more complicated than that. In particular, and despite the way some people refer to it, it's not trying to 'prove' anything.

Obviously there's a proviso about the word 'paranormal' , and some reasonable exceptions.

The conditions under which the demonstration will take place, and a definition of what would be "success", are proposed by the claimant, and agreed between them and the JREF.

All very straightforward, I'd have thought. If you don't like Randi, or feel the JREF's cheating, there are various other prizes on offer around the world.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hark at the believers screaming because their little bubble has burst. :D

Oh that nasty Randi must let us do things our way or it won't work. That's usual claptrap for the psychic believers.

They make up nonsense as they can't cope with reality and then think that they have a bargaining position when in fact they have none.

Psychic? Then simple: Prove it or shut up! No one needs to cater to your delusions.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bob_Burt wrote: »

That's an interesting petition. It speaks of "vulnerable people" and then in the next breath calls them "feeble minded". I'm sure the government await the results with bated breath.
  • Options
    DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By the way, one person has successfully claimed the $1 Million prize...

In April, possibly after this film was made (?)

Seth Raphael claims Randi's Million Dollar Challe…: http://youtu.be/c_0E1XJP33E
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The latter (especially the clowns and actors bit). Morgan has to include some sort of clause in her advertising to the effect that her act is for entertainment purposes.

Who is Morgan?
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    Who is Morgan?

Sally Morgan I presume.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    There are some very stupid people about - change that to many - that believe this crap. It's scary that they do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who is Morgan?
    Sally Morgan I presume.

I will expand my question, then: Who is Sally Morgan? :confused:

OK, no need to bother - I see she has a Wikipedia entry and is a TV personality. Presumably on a channel I don't watch. :)
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    By the way, one person has successfully claimed the $1 Million prize...

In April, possibly after this film was made (?)

Seth Raphael claims Randi's Million Dollar Challe…: http://youtu.be/c_0E1XJP33E

According to the comments, that was an April Fool's Day prank!
  • Options
    DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to the comments, that was an April Fool's Day prank!

Ahhh, you debunked me...

;)

Last five mins are quite good
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All their advertising blurb must have "For Entertainment Purposes" on it, but you can be sure it's going to be as small as they can get away with and lost in a load of small print at the bottom.

But then they do attract people who do believe no matter what and so they are already catering for the terminally stupid. Many have been caught red handed cheating and faking it and yet they still have sell-out shows.

It's a religion and as genuine as that! (So not at all)

Unfortunately, they also cater for the terminally ill, fleecing them of their last dollars and pounds, and as a man who follows science and is an atheist, I can say there is a special place in hell for such people.
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will expand my question, then: Who is Sally Morgan? :confused:

OK, no need to bother - I see she has a Wikipedia entry and is a TV personality. Presumably on a channel I don't watch. :)

This one Sally Morgan