Options

Tumble Dryers

Air ResistanceAir Resistance Posts: 5,145
Forum Member
Looking at buying one now the winter is coming on and its harder to dry clothes. Who'd have thought it was such a minefield. Vented, condenser... Does anyonee have any advice or recommendations? I just need something that's efficient in running costs and that will get my clothes dry!

Comments

• Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never cheap to run - we only use ours when we have to, but I wouldn't be without it.

Condensing variety are slower to dry in my experience (the in-washer type are hopeless) but necessary if you can't vent it. Ours is in the conservatory which is just fine.
  • Options
    dave clarkedave clarke Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've got a gas one very quick and cheap to run
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hang the wets up in the utlity and point my Amcor dehumidifier at them. Drys them out in about 6 hrs and also comes in handy while I'm waiting for the roofers to turn up.
  • Options
    wendy09wendy09 Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    invest in a dehumidifier cheaper to run and dries clothes efficiently .
  • Options
    roger_purvisroger_purvis Posts: 968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wendy09 wrote: »

How?.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wendy09 wrote: »

Thanks to your post I've just read up about them and am thinking of getting one,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bosch is the best. I got one recently and it is much faster than my previous tumble dryer.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,517
    Forum Member
    Looking at buying one now the winter is coming on and its harder to dry clothes. Who'd have thought it was such a minefield. Vented, condenser... Does anyonee have any advice or recommendations? I just need something that's efficient in running costs and that will get my clothes dry!

Get a condenser one, far handier than vented ones.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i wouldn`t get one again, i have a dehumidifier with a laundry setting, it`s quicker, quieter, MUCH cheaper to run and buy, the washing feels like it`s been on the line and you don`t need to vent it, nor will you get steamed up.

added bonus for me, because i need it running most of the time for the damp anyway is that it kicks out about ten degrees of heat so you don`t need your heating so high.

edit: i see i`m late to that party :D

edit again: and if you don`t need it for damp you can turn a cupboard into a drying room where you could hang a shit load more than a washer full at once.
  • Options
    SupercellSupercell Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    I have a Siemens condenser one, it's very quiet and dries very efficiently using a sensor rather than guessing the time you put it on for like non sensor ones.

The water container is at the top and makes it easy to empty. We had a had a hotpoint one before and the water container was at the bottom and we didn't notice it was leaking....
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i wouldn`t get one again, i have a dehumidifier with a laundry setting, it`s quicker, quieter, MUCH cheaper to run and buy, the washing feels like it`s been on the line and you don`t need to vent it, nor will you get steamed up.

added bonus for me, because i need it running most of the time for the damp anyway is that it kicks out about ten degrees of heat so you don`t need your heating so high.

edit: i see i`m late to that party :D

edit again: and if you don`t need it for damp you can turn a cupboard into a drying room where you could hang a shit load more than a washer full at once.

Thanks for the tips annette, my flat is small so a dehumidifier seems a great idea, wish I'd thought about it before now. Just been looking at this one (mainly for drying the washing) http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00474K8SY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=ASXUSZNX3I8V&coliid=I1FG7CDDFM3MJI&psc=1 seems to have some good reviews.
  • Options
    attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mum has had a White Knight one for ages, a condenser one, very good but a but noisy. They're quite cheap though, one to go for if you can't or won't spend anymore :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    francie wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips annette, my flat is small so a dehumidifier seems a great idea, wish I'd thought about it before now. Just been looking at this one (mainly for drying the washing) http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00474K8SY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=ASXUSZNX3I8V&coliid=I1FG7CDDFM3MJI&psc=1 seems to have some good reviews.

looks good, similar to mine, which was a proper bargain at £89 on ebay, i`ve had it a few months and i cannot fault it

http://www.neostar-electronics.co.uk/p303~Compact-Advanced-Desiccant-Dehumidifier.html#prettyPhoto

i see "yours" has a antibacterial filter too, that was important for me because of all the mould.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am about to put a tumble dryer into the utility room and vent it through wall. Having read this thread I will look into dehumidifiers. Hadnt heard of them being used lije this before.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I am about to put a tumble dryer into the utility room and vent it through wall. Having read this thread I will look into dehumidifiers. Hadnt heard of them being used lije this before.

i doubt you`ll regret it if you do.

another plus is it speeds up the drying when you`re decorating.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, happy I read this thread. Could change my plans somewhat if this is a suitable alternative for us. Thank you everyone.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrQuike wrote: »
    I hang the wets up in the utlity and point my Amcor dehumidifier at them. Drys them out in about 6 hrs and also comes in handy while I'm waiting for the roofers to turn up.
    Same here. Quite a bit cheaper than a dryer and I don't have space in my kitchen for a dryer anyway.
  • Options
    Air ResistanceAir Resistance Posts: 5,145
    Forum Member
    Really interesting cheers guys, I'll have a look into dehumidifiers
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The main reason that people say these don't dry your clothes is because people tend to overload them. Buy a condensing one with a big capacity. Small capacity ones are hopeless because you need to take out half your washing and dry in two separate loads which makes it uneconomical. Mine is an Indesit 7kg wash/7kg dry. You need to look for one that will dry the same load of clothes as you put in and don't load it to the max. I've never had issues with my electricity bill and I wash and dry about 4 loads a week.

Whilst Indesit isn't the best of makes as they're now made by Hotpoint, they are one the best for the price. Unless you want to fork out shed loads for a Zanussi or a Whirlpool. I have always bought mine from a local shop that deals in slight seconds. They're all new but there might be a sight mark on them. Got my last one for around £350. It was either that or pay nearly double.

What you have to think about is would an £700 - £800 Zanussi last you that much longer than a cheap Indesit/Hotpoint and does it justify paying double for it if it's only likely to last you several more years? My conclusion was, no it's not.
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't get a condensed washer/drier. They are dreadful. Don't dry clothes properly.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a small White Knight for years and vented it through the window. It was very quick and efficient.

I can't do it in this flat and I have a proper sized condenser which is okay but very slow.

I've got the washing machine, and the dryer in a walk in cupboard. I can't see how I could hang all the clothes sheets and towels in there to dry with a dehumidifier to be honest. I hang a few jumpers and tights and bras in there, that don't go through the dryer, and that's all I've room for.

So it depends how you're situated really. I wouldn't buy a condenser though, unless you've no outlet for the hose.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get a Bosch. Even if it's refurbished, it would be better than anything else.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Just get a little 6lb load one and only dry essentials, let the rest dry naturally on an airer to save energy costs.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got a hotpoint 7kg condensor one that I picked up secondhand for £30. Works fine. Just use it for towels and underwear and occasionally jeans. The rest is on the airers or radiator. Must admit a dehumidifier sounds interesting though.
  • Options
    Forum Member