BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Radio_fanRadio_fan Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    No HIGNFY tonight as Dimbleby doing a programme on him. >:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're going to a dinner party in Islington/Hampstead/Primrose Hill remember to wear a black armband and expect a two minute silence.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone reckon football games tommorrow will have a minutes silence?
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will be mandelatory
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even worse. Anna haha Foster has just announced that there will be a Mandela special tonight, presented by Nolan and Adebayo. What a b awful combination. Foster has just interviewed a woman on the subject and her first question was "How did it make you feel?" Where do they get these presenters from.

The funeral is now not until Sunday 15th so we've at least another 10 days of this dross to come.

This is tonight's schedule, not a parody, honest

9pm 5live news with further reaction from South Africa on the death of Mandela

9.30pm Mandela on Mandela. John Simpson remembers Mandela

10.30pm 5live news. Continuing coverage and reflection on the death of Mandela

11.00pm The day I met Nelson Mandela. Recollections and memories of people who have met Mandela
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It was in the sports bulletin that there would be a minutes applause before every football match tomorrow. Another item in the sports bulletin was David Beckham paying tribute.

In 5 Live Drive there has been news of a power cut in Lincoln. Currently I wish I lived there.
  • Ian AberdonIan Aberdon Posts: 2,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will be mandelatory

Like it like it! :D
  • ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your car radio desn't have long wave? Seriously? It must have DAB then?
    My last car had FM, MW and LW, except LW never worked. Luckily I live in the south so could get TMS on 702MW I think it was.
    But just because a radio might have LW it doesn't mean it works.
  • ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radiotuner wrote: »
    One of the great things about DS is how we all see things differently. I didn't really take to the first two Phil Williams OBs, but thought last night's was really interesting. I thought the one from Birmingham was spoiled by the train announcer who was far too loud every few minutes and really distracted me from what was being said.

I thought last night's football was brilliant. I absolutely love it (Kevin Keegan 1990 something!) when there are loads of Premier League games and Five Live don't have the rights. Incidently, they don't have the rights because the Premier League are forced by European Law not to give exclusivity to one broadcaster, that's why Sky no longer have exclusivity on the telly.

I know I will be in a minority of one, but I prefer that format to one where we have a commentary that dominates. Last night seemed more fun, more immediate, more informative and ultimately more satisfying.

Thirdly, was I alone in being disappointed that Tony Livesey was not on breakfast this morning. I really did miss him and I find Nicky Campbell so lack lustre. I know she has her critics on here, but I do like Rachel Burden. Especially before seven when she can get a word in edgeways.

I have warmed a bit more to Sam Walker this week, but, even though he can infuriate me with his self obsessions at times, I can see why Richard Bacon is so distinctive and so favoured amongst the bosses.
    I'm always disappointed when Tony Livesey isn't on. He's a much more balanced presenter than NC.
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm in two minds whether I want to listen to the UAN World Cup special or not.

On one hand, it could be a laugh and full of banter, on the other hand, it could be Dotun and 32 other football fans trying to get a word in edgeways.
  • cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    Don't get me wrong, I think Mandela was a great man, but do we need all this coverage about his death.I have just given up listening to the station at the moment as it is getting right on my tits.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,839
    Forum Member
    I'm in two minds whether I want to listen to the UAN World Cup special or not.

On one hand, it could be a laugh and full of banter, on the other hand, it could be Dotun and 32 other football fans trying to get a word in edgeways.

Listened to some of it - was quite good in terms of trying to make fun of each other but there was quite a bit of talking over each other.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cantos wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I think Mandela was a great man, but do we need all this coverage about his death.I have just given up listening to the station at the moment as it is getting right on my tits.

The whole reaction to the death has been ridiculously over the top on 5 live and this morning we were being treated to Rachael Burden live in Soweto. I wonder how many armed guards she has with her? I am a poor sleeper and every time I switched on 5 live there was yet more about NM. I switched off. ENOUGH. >:(
  • Fergal2001Fergal2001 Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    Awkward moment this morning as Tony Livesey was talking to Daisy McAndrew, who was stuck on a runway somewhere.

Tony just thought he was speaking to a random.

"You should be a journalist..."

"I am a journalist."

No idea who she was.
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole reaction to the death has been ridiculously over the top on 5 live and this morning we were being treated to Rachael Burden live in Soweto. I wonder how many armed guards she has with her? I am a poor sleeper and every time I switched on 5 live there was yet more about NM. I switched off. ENOUGH. >:(

I think I'll avoid R 5 for the next week :o
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,056
    Forum Member
    5live do need to calm the Mandela coverage down now its been 2 days since he died and there is no justification for concentrating on him so much now. Just because he is a hero to many at the BBC, we don't need it rammed down our throats.
  • Harry_StevensHarry_Stevens Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish it had happened on Christmas day just to see how the BBC would have served us,personally I think they let down all those license fee payers on the East coast,they totally forgot them and the BBC should be ashamed of themselves.

As for Mandela well to me a very big case of Emperors new clothes.
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    Listened to some of it - was quite good in terms of trying to make fun of each other but there was quite a bit of talking over each other.

I caught half of it until I fell asleep (tiredness, not boredom!)

I quite enjoyed what I heard.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,839
    Forum Member
    They were all very informative and it was interesting to here about other teams we probably won't see much of in terms of a preview from the BBC/ITV etc when the tournament starts.
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    5live do need to calm the Mandela coverage down now its been 2 days since he died and there is no justification for concentrating on him so much now. Just because he is a hero to many at the BBC, we don't need it rammed down our throats.

The bizarre thing is my tablets tune in said on each radio channel "live coverage of Nelson Mandela" I think I may have got one with standard predictive sarcasm mode.....
  • brain_higgybrain_higgy Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rachel burden is at shweto reporting for saturday edition OK did the bbc pay for this trip and also holiday much get to spend in a good country also warmer
    how many overseas outside broadcast does 5live do and is it really needed in this day in age really a waste of licence fee money
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Nelson Mandela's coffin is going to be carried round Jo'burg for 3 days , followed by a funeral, not to mention a memorial service attended by 80,000 in a football stadium, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to cope with Rachel Burden & 5 Live this week. !
  • superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    The good thing about it, in spite of her attempt to ruin Saturday Edition with two reports, she got cut off after 20 minutes of boredom for the listener in the second report. I wonder if Chris Warburton did it on purpose?

The sooner this puerile nonsense stops, the better.
  • davestokedavestoke Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could someone let me know when it's safe to turn on 5 live again please!
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Landis wrote: »
    5 Live is pretty much ridiculous filler - 20 hours a day (the breakfast show is tolerable).
    The first few minutes of Drive today was about the rehearsal for the World Cup Draw (including the countries drawn at the rehearsal.....). This is ludicrous. The preparation for the draw will also include several visits to the bathroom by the officials. Will 5 Live be talking about that as well?
    I think the station should be put out of it's misery as beyond parody and unfit for purpose.

Everything to do with World Cup draws is ludicrous - flying thousands of people from around the world to watch an over-long ceremony just to pick who plays who. The radio (and TV) coverage of the draw was just reflecting how ludicrous it is,
This discussion has been closed.